Babies: 3 - 6 Months

So, I am totally judging

An October 2011 mom.  She was actively TTC without maternity coverage and just found out she is pregnant with twins.

I find this absolutely irresponsible.  The cost of having one baby is a lot without insurance.  But two?  Holy sh!t.

She is looking at 30K+ in medical expenses when you add in ultrasounds, more visits, delivery, etc.  Not to mention the chance of complications are much higher with twins.

What a f'ing idiot.

Re: So, I am totally judging

• I agree.  What was she thinking?!?!
  • Yeah, that's going to be expensive.  But maybe they just have so much money that it doesn't really matter to them?  I have a cousin that doesn't have health insurance for himself, his wife or his child.  He literally has millions of dollars sitting in the bank so he doesn't see a reason to have insurance because he can just pay for it cash.  I still think it is irresponsible (there are SOME things that could potentially cost so much that he wouldn't be able to pay for it, and what if something happens to that money) but to each his own.

That being said, most people don't fall under this category... so yes, I find that terribly irresponsible and what if something is wrong with one of the babies?

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagelissasue3:

It wasn't me.

Stick out tongue

How did you see this and I missed it?

You told her congrats!  Wink

I think everyone saw twins, got excited, and missed the no insurance part.  It was C&P'd to me via email!

• Plus she used a vague post title with an ellipsis. C'mon. 
  • Wow-that is very irresponsible.  The expenses will be sky high...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Since becoming a mom, I try very hard not to judge.  That is something, however, that I will judge for the rest of my life.  If you cannot afford a child, you have no business having one...let alone two.  We all know how they are made, and there are ways to prevent.  I have a friend (more like a girl I graduated from college with at this point) who is pregnant with her sixth.  (I am 31, to give you a frame of reference.)  I haven't any kind of clue how they afford their children.  I'm not questioning her ability as a parent, and if they can afford to have that many kids, more power to them.  If they can't, it's extremely irresponsible.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm just really glad that I don't have to think about insurance when it comes to prenatal care and delivery. Of course I do have insurance for our entire family to cover things that are not gov covered like prescriptions and dental care, but the thought of having to spend $30k+ to give birth just makes me Indifferent I couldn't even imagine it.
  • Yikes. That is going to add a lot of stress to her pregnancy.
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As long as she gets insurance for the babies when they are here.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagekirky05:

imageuluvfranke:
    As long as she gets insurance for the babies when they are here.

This!

I would normally agree with this statement, until I had trouble getting insurance for DS after he was born due to a premature diagnosis of congenital hypothyroidism.  If anything is wrong with those babies the insurance companies can deny on the basis of a pre-existing condition or can make the premium so unbelievably high that it is unattainable.  Just my experience.

FWIW, I was evenutally able to get him insurance, I just had to have additional testing done on him to prove that he is not hypothyroid.  Sad day to have to have your newborn babies heel pricked again just because the insurance company thought that it would be too much of a risk to put your healthy baby on their plan.

• Not even Medicaid?

however long the night, dawn will break.

• imageMrsLacy:
    Not even Medicaid?

I was wondering this myself in PA if you don't have maternity coverage, you can get you prenatal care paid for by the state. 

• imageQueenBee320:

imageMrsLacy:
    Not even Medicaid?

I was wondering this myself in PA if you don't have maternity coverage, you can get you prenatal care paid for by the state. 

Maybe this is what she plans to do. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageQueenBee320:

imageMrsLacy:
    Not even Medicaid?

This is just as bad. The woman was actively trying to get pregnant.  I judge anyone who actively tries to get pregnant while on state medical.  People go on state health insurance when they cannot afford medical coverage. If you cannot afford medical coverage, how can you afford to have a child?   

• imagewife1014:
    imageQueenBee320:

imageMrsLacy:
    Not even Medicaid?

This is just as bad. The woman was actively trying to get pregnant.  I judge anyone who actively tries to get pregnant while on state medical.  People go on state health insurance when they cannot afford medical coverage. If you cannot afford medical coverage, how can you afford to have a child?   

I agree

• imageBailey81:
    Plus she used a vague post title with an ellipsis. C'mon. 

I saw this earlier today and totally thought the same thing!

A + Life

Anniversary

Me:24 DH:27
    TTC #2 since August 2011

DX: Low AMH 1.79 Mildly elevated FSH 9.9

1 month of Letrozole, 3 IUI's with Letrozole, All BFN. 1 canceled IVF cycle, BFN.

May 2013 IVF w/ICSI #1.5: Start BCP 5/8 2 pills a day. Suppression Ultrasound 5/29. Begin Dexamethasone & Lupron Microdose 5/31. Started Gonal F and Menopur 6/2.

ER 6/12 13R,9M,8F.

5DT CANCELLED due to moderate OHSS

5DT UNcancelled due to embryos not being capable of cryopreservation

Transfered 2 "poor quality" embryo's on 6/17

No frozen embryos.

Beta #1 6/25 6. Chemical Pregnancy confirmed. Beta #2 6/28 -1
    Done trying

• imagekirky05:
    imagewife1014:
    imageQueenBee320:

imageMrsLacy:
    Not even Medicaid?

Not necessarily. Some people lose their jobs, have a "pre-existing condition" aka pregnancy so they couldn't get any private insurance, and then don't qualify for anything but state medical. I know a couple that this happened to, and it was a horrible position that they were put in.

Yes, that does happen and I feel terribly sorry for anyone put in that position.  But this woman was actively trying to get pregnant.  MrsLacy and QueenBee mentioned state insurance/medicaid.  So I was referring to those who try to conceive while on state health insurance.

• I gave birth to a healthy full term singleton and still racked up over $20k in medical bills due to completely unforseen complications.  If I didn't have insurance, I would have been completely effed.  This is beyond irresponsible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBailey81:
    Plus she used a vague post title with an ellipsis. C'mon. 

Well, that settles it.  She's going to hell in a hand-basket.

• imagekirky05:
    imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    imagekirky05:
    imagewife1014:
    imageQueenBee320:

imageMrsLacy:
    Not even Medicaid?

Not necessarily. Some people lose their jobs, have a "pre-existing condition" aka pregnancy so they couldn't get any private insurance, and then don't qualify for anything but state medical. I know a couple that this happened to, and it was a horrible position that they were put in.

These are the people my heart go out to. I have compassion for that situation, def.

This girl was different. She knew full well they weren't covered and TTCed anyway. Grr.

I totally know you're just clarifying a previous statement, but I was just adding an andplusalso and whatnot. Carry on.

*walks away whistling and kicking rocks*

Ahh, I see - I was just trying to point out an exception to wife's statement about state insurance. Not everyone is bad that has to go on it while pregnant! :) I agree though that it can definitely be abused.

Agreed.  Plus people that want to have children without maternity coverage might have other circumstances, like the aforementioned really rich relative or catastrophic coverage that would kick in if any major intervention was necessary.  It's true, she may be too poor to afford children, but it's hard to know for sure based on her health coverage alone.

IMO, there should just be a gov't system to help women who can't get insurance through job or due to preexisting conditions, children shouldn't be a privilege of the rich.  But that's just a crazy canadian concept, I'll go back to my 1 year mat leave now.

• She mentioned that her DH was in the Navy. She should be able to be added to his Tricare if she's not already. 

• This reminds me of a friend of mine. She wasn't on birth control and acted shocked when she ended up pregnant. And of course she has no insurance. When she talked to me ab not having insurance I asked how are you so surprised if not on bcp? She said they hadn't used protection for a few months and didn't think it could happen. Its just sad bc instead of being excited, she's worrying ab money and insurance.

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• image~Flossie~:
    I'm just really glad that I don't have to think about insurance when it comes to prenatal care and delivery. Of course I do have insurance for our entire family to cover things that are not gov covered like prescriptions and dental care, but the thought of having to spend $30k+ to give birth just makes me Indifferent I couldn't even imagine it.

This exactly.  Canada is a great place to live.

• Not to mention the fact that twins have a higher chance of being premature. My son was 6 weeks early and spent 9 days in the nicu. His bill was 35K. My stay in the hospital was 22K.
  • You are grossly under estimating the cost of a twin pregnancy and birth.  Sure my boys had a 17 day NICU stay, my total pregnancy/deliver can to just over $250,000
  • This rally pisses me off and I have a friend whos mom wanted a grandchild so badly that shes paying for her apartment and her healthcare because she wasnt going to pay for any of it she was just going to get pregnant and call it a day while her stupid husband lays on his big duff all day not doing anything...
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know this is probably a major unpopular opinion, but people who actively ttc with the intention of getting pregnant, knowing they do not have insurance coverage should be charged with some sort of child endangerment.  It's completely reckless. I think government aid is wonderful for people who find themselves in need for it through no fault of their own (accidental pregnancies, for example) or people who had insurance and lost their jobs, but people who know they do not have coverage and actively ttc (chart, opk, have unprotected sex) are completely reckless.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imagechickaboo1974:
    You are grossly under estimating the cost of a twin pregnancy and birth.  Sure my boys had a 17 day NICU stay, my total pregnancy/deliver can to just over $250,000

Seriously.  I'm guesstimating that my prenatal care, hospital stay, Natty's hospital stay (one night in NICU) and Katie's hospital stay (3 nights in NICU) would have been upwards of $60,000 if I didn't have insurance.  And my pregnancy had no complications.   

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageBallSox:
    I know this is probably a major unpopular opinion, but people who actively ttc with the intention of getting pregnant, knowing they do not have insurance coverage should be charged with some sort of child endangerment.  It's completely reckless. I think government aid is wonderful for people who find themselves in need for it through no fault of their own (accidental pregnancies, for example) or people who had insurance and lost their jobs, but people who know they do not have coverage and actively ttc (chart, opk, have unprotected sex) are completely reckless.  

I agree with this only if she didn't have any prenatal care and did a freebirth because she had no insurance.  If she still goes to the doctor and has a birth with some sort of medical professional assistance, whether it be midwife or doctor, then I can't see it as child endangerment. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Wow. Either this woman just doesn't understand how much it truly costs, or she's got millions in the bank to pay for stuff. 

Delivery and hospital stay for me was 14K. The epi and anesthesiologist were about 2K.  DS's stay at the hospital he was born at was about 12K. The stay in the NICU at the hospital he transferred to was 18K. I don't have a total on my prenatal care, but I had 3 ultrasounds, one of which included a fetal echo. Also, I had twice a week NSTs for the last 6 weeks of the pregnancy. And the cost of my medication, and diabetic testing supplies. 

• I'm on the fence with this one.  I can see how it can be irresponsible to have children without proper medical coverage, but is it wrong for poor people to have babies?  I go back and forth on this one all the time.  I feel like if some people are going to wait until their financial situation gets better, they will never have children.  On the other hand, I continually watch my check go down, which essentially cuts out some things I would like to do for my child.  But who am I to deny someone the joy of children?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"