August 2011 Moms

Help! How would you attach these to the wall??

This is a weird question, I know. :) 

I'm redoing the stairs to our attic, which are in the nursery. I want to do something really bold & colorful on the walls, and I've decided to 'wallpaper' them with paint chips like the images below. Any ideas on the best way to attach them?? I'll modge podge if I have to, but I'd prefer something less of a pain to remove if possible. Surely SOMEONE will have an idea of how to do it or know of a great product...

Re: Help! How would you attach these to the wall??

• I would attach them to something else first like a board or something? Then hang or screw that to the wall so you don't mess up the drywall too bad.
    TTC #1 since 7/10 Cycle 2 12/7/10 Diagnosed PCOS 12/17/10 BFP on CD 126 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Could you use adhesive to glue them onto basic, plain wallpaper? That way if you do decide to take it down you'll "just" have to take down the strips of wallpaper & not a bazillion paint chips? Might be easier to get them evenly spaced out on wallpaper vs wall too.

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • A board won't be super easy- I'd have to cut it to fit awkward shapes since it's a stairwell, and I'd rather not hang a large board on the wall (plaster not drywall). Although... if I could find something more with the thickness/feel of balsa or basswood... now THAT might work. Something like foamcore though I don't see holding up as well, but iono...

As per wallpaper... no lol. I just stripped 3+ layers and putting these on TOP of wallpaper would make it harder to remove. I'd also have to put up wallpaper first, which isn't cool either. These alone (treated as wallpaper) would be easier to remove I think actually... 

Hmm... I'm starting to really like the balsa wood idea though...  brings me back to my architecture school days lol!

• Instead of doing the whole wall, how about getting a few picture frames and doing the chips in there? Or are your stairs carpet?  Could you do something like this?...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doorsixteen/2835392122/

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dh says that you might be able to just use wallpaper glue. Just Do LITTLE sections at a time. Not sure if that helped but I think your idea is super cute and wanted to try and help : )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebeewltched:

Instead of doing the whole wall, how about getting a few picture frames and doing the chips in there? Or are your stairs carpet?  Could you do something like this?...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doorsixteen/2835392122/

Putting down a runner- the stairs are in AWFUL condition- which nixed ideas doing riser-only stuff. Plus DH wanted carpet or a runner. And I'm not crazy about putting frames in there- it's a small stairwell, and this is my chance to go BIG and BOLD! :D although paint chips on the risers would have been SO cool!!! 

• imagemissdelica:
    Dh says that you might be able to just use wallpaper glue. Just Do LITTLE sections at a time. Not sure if that helped but I think your idea is super cute and wanted to try and help : )

If I can't find an easy way to do a full panel (on balsa or something), I think this is what I'll have to do. Hopefully with minimal bits of glue it should be easy if it ever needs to be removed. Thanks! 

• I would have never thought of that, cute idea! I like the idea of framing some large portions of the paint chips, and the stairs idea also!!! Getting my little wheels turning for the "new" crappy old house we're moving into!
    DD #1 4 years old (09/22/09)
    DD #2 2 years old (08/17/11)
    DD #3 born 08/29/13

• My friend did this, a whole mural, and it took him weeks. He mounted them on posterboard and then used clear pushpins to attach them to the wall. I don't know if his FB is public or not, but here is a link to the pics you can try:

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=513433457&aid=239817 

Maybe instead of posterboard you can use those long rolls of butcher paper? And staples? I wouldn't want pushpins available to little fingers once your LO is mobile.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageSarahPLiz:

My friend did this, a whole mural, and it took him weeks. He mounted them on posterboard and then used clear pushpins to attach them to the wall. I don't know if his FB is public or not, but here is a link to the pics you can try:

Love it!!!! If I can't get the balsa to work (I like the idea of the wood texture peeking through), I might go this route... poster board won't be as long term, but that's probably ok.  

• imagecozylittlecave:
    imageSarahPLiz:

My friend did this, a whole mural, and it took him weeks. He mounted them on posterboard and then used clear pushpins to attach them to the wall. I don't know if his FB is public or not, but here is a link to the pics you can try:

Love it!!!! If I can't get the balsa to work (I like the idea of the wood texture peeking through), I might go this route... poster board won't be as long term, but that's probably ok.  

Could you see the pics? If not I can try to get them some other way. he's in basic training right now, so I can't really ask his permission, but I'm sure he'd be ok with it being shown off.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Cozy!

Im dirty lurking, but I would try scrap booking tape! I swear by that stuff! Use the kind that is the double sided roller. If you put it on all 4 sides of the paint chip it should stay up just fine but also come off easily without damaging the walls. It would be a lot easier to do that than just about anything else. I really do love the stuff.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekaraknr:

Cozy!

Im dirty lurking, but I would try scrap booking tape! I swear by that stuff! Use the kind that is the double sided roller. If you put it on all 4 sides of the paint chip it should stay up just fine but also come off easily without damaging the walls. It would be a lot easier to do that than just about anything else. I really do love the stuff.

Kara!!! Hey girl!! Scrapbooking tape does sound like a good option! I'll look into it- thanks!!

And Sarah- yes! I was able to see the pics- thank you!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"