September 2011 Moms

Was this weird, or is it just me?

We told my MIL yesterday about the baby. We were out to lunch and she was very excited. I told her that I want to buy these special photo albums for babies. It is really cool, they make soft albums that the baby can play with and it has pics of family members on each page. It is supposed to help them recognize their faces. I just think it is a cute idea. Then my MIL says to me, "we can put the pictures of dead family members in the album too and then when they can talk we can tell them how they each died." So, is it just me, or is that creepy?
image BabyName Ticker

Re: Was this weird, or is it just me?

• Um, definitely. Creepy that is.
  • Creepy.  I understand wanting to make sure that deceased family members are remembered, but going into the how's of things isn't on my list of things to talk to baby about.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yikes. Definitely creepy. And disturbing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Haha! Creepy for sure! How did she come up with that?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Super creepy.  Although knowing my mom and some of the weird things she says/does, she probably meant really well.

But no.

• Sounds like something I would do, so I can't really say if its creepy or not...
    -A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
    image  image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dude!  I need to know what you said! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds weird the way it came across. I am fine with a photo album including loved ones that have passed...but not telling the kids how they died.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • imagear78:
    Dude!  I need to know what you said! 

I just smiled and said, "that's an idea!" What was I supposed to say? DH almost spit his drink out when she said it!

image BabyName Ticker
  • imageOUKap:
    It sounds weird the way it came across. I am fine with a photo album including loved ones that have passed...but not telling the kids how they died.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I will def show my kids family photo albums and tell them about the people they never met, but she was off on an whole different concept!

image BabyName Ticker
  • super creepy
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Creepy! I'm just imagining her sitting with your baby saying "This is Aunt Mabel, she died of heart disease" ::shudder:: Although we do keep pictures of my husband's grandfather around for my son to remember- he was his namesake and even though he died when my son was not even 2, my son still remembers him and talks about him. But for people who died before my son was born- no way.
  • Weird - especially since the point of the book is to help teach the baby about the family members that the baby will see. Maybe you should suggest two books - one for the alive & another for the "angels" watching over the baby from heaven.
  • LOL I wasn't expecting that. It's definitely bizarre but sounds like it may have just come across wrong. I also think learning about passed family members can wait until they are a little older.
    ~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"