August 2011 Moms

DD!

Just because you are pregnant doesn't mean you can act like an idiot.

FYI.

TIA.

YWIA.

NFT.

Re: DD!

• I missed it. What happened?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• *cocks head* What happened?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • Loading the player...
  • JAO### posted she flipped out on a student, yelled at him and told him to shut up. 

she was all proud of herself (as were the first 2 people who responded) until myself a few others pointed out that she acted like an unprofessional asshat. Then she backpedaled, claiming she didn't "yell" at him, but sternly told him to shut his mouth. When people called her on changing her story, she deleted. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JA062406 said she flipped out on one of her students today.
  • imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

JAO### posted she flipped out on a student, yelled at him and told him to shut up. 

she was all proud of herself (as were the first 2 people who responded) until myself a few others pointed out that she acted like an unprofessional asshat. Then she backpedaled, claiming she didn't "yell" at him, but sternly told him to shut his mouth. When people called her on changing her story, she deleted. 

Man, I didn't even see the thread. Eek. Flipping out at a student is never good.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • Lame! I replied but was by no means "proud" of her. I simply said I could relate to being hormonal.
  • I didn't read the original post, but in defense of teachers we all lose our tempers.  We aren't perfect.  I never agree with telling  kids to shut up, but I have been teaching for ten years now and losing you temper is going to happen.  It's what you do after that makes the difference.  I usually apologize and explain that we all lose our temper.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Max born July 25

Big sisters Alex and Layla

• imageJ&MsMom:

I didn't read the original post, but in defense of teachers we all lose our tempers.  We aren't perfect.  I never agree with telling  kids to shut up, but I have been teaching for ten years now and losing you temper is going to happen.  It's what you do after that makes the difference.  I usually apologize and explain that we all lose our temper.   

No one's perfect. I worked as a CNA for 9 years before I became a SAHM. I know how much it sucks to be screamed at, insulted and called names. Heck, I even had things like urinals and bed pans thrown at me. 

Had I ever, even ONCE, "flipped out" on a patient, I'd have been fired. On the spot. As I should be. Because it is my job to remain professional. And if my kids ever have a teacher who can not both control their classroom, and maintain their professional behavior at all times...they will not remain the teacher for much longer.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There is a difference between flipping out and losing your temper.  I have yet to meet a teacher who hasn't lost their temper with students.  I teach Special Education in a middle school and I feel like I have seen a lot of crazy stuff.  But anyway, at the end of the day kids know if you really care about them or not.  Students will say "Ms. So and So yelled at us, but we deserved it."  They also know when a teacher just is a miserable person.  I'm not saying that teachers are prefect.  I know many who aren't, but I am saying that losing your temper happens.

Max born July 25

• imagemananana:
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:
    imageJ&MsMom:

I didn't read the original post, but in defense of teachers we all lose our tempers.  We aren't perfect.  I never agree with telling  kids to shut up, but I have been teaching for ten years now and losing you temper is going to happen.  It's what you do after that makes the difference.  I usually apologize and explain that we all lose our temper.   

No one's perfect. I worked as a CNA for 9 years before I became a SAHM. I know how much it sucks to be screamed at, insulted and called names. Heck, I even had things like urinals and bed pans thrown at me. 

Had I ever, even ONCE, "flipped out" on a patient, I'd have been fired. On the spot. As I should be. Because it is my job to remain professional. And if my kids ever have a teacher who can not both control their classroom, and maintain their professional behavior at all times...they will not remain the teacher for much longer.  

I meant to quote the same person, Mrs. G.  It isn't acceptable at any point to flip out on students.  I totally agree with your perspective as a parent.  During the school year kids spend the majority of their waking hours with us.  We owe it to the kids and the families to respect that and provide an environment where students feel safe to take risks and learn. 

It embarrasses me when other teachers defend this kind of behavior.  It reflects badly upon the profession. 

Not to mention that the only thing you accomplish by losing it with a kid is showing that they CAN push your buttons.  If they can get you to show that, then it's your fault when they continue.  We are supposed to be the adults in the situation.

I give you a lot of credit.  I think it's wonderful that you have been able to keep yourself together.   I am saying after many years doing this and know many teachers that I haven't met one who hasn't lost their temper and I consider some of these teachers the best teachers I have ever known.  A few actually recognized by the state as teacher of year.   I just hate when people expect teachers to be saints.  It's just not realistic.  We lose our temper, we mess up.  We make mistakes.  What matters is what you do with it.  Do you make it a teachable moment or not.  

When I'm saying losing your temper, I'm not saying yelling.  I don't believe in yelling it doesn't work.  But if you haven't stopped class and told them about their behavior or stepped away because you are frustrated, then I don't know how you do it. 

Max born July 25

• imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:
    imageJ&MsMom:

This. If I ever lost my cool with a client I would be fired period. It isn't a matter of being a saint, it's a matter of being professional and just because someone is dealing with children doesn't make that any less true.

• I would absolutely love to know where some of you teach... honestly.

I agree that as teachers we need to be respectful and professional, but every school/student/situation is different. I'm not defending what she did (in fact I didn't even read it), but if you're all saying that you've never once raised your voice to your class then I'll call you all LIARS. I teach Pre-K now, so obviously my voice doesn't raise to them, but when I taught 6th grade and the kids were fighting, cursing, throwing things, then yes- my voice was raised. I never disrespected my students, but I would never claim to never have yelled.

• I have to agree with Meganjane right now.  I taught in the South Bronx in a school where 4 teachers had been killed by students during or followed home in 9 year span.  Walked into my classroom daily being called "yo b!tch" by 12 year olds for a year and had heart surgery by March.  Not everyone teaches in perfect situations, raising your voice will happen.  I don't condone saying shut up but when you need a school cop outside your room for your safety patience can be lost at times.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"