Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

No microwave ever?

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has never used a microwave to cook their LO's food? I use practically with every meal. I heard of someone from where i work that has a 20 month old and had NEVER used a microwave to heat their LO's food. Don't get me wrong, thats great! I just feel like a bad mom since I use it all the time! TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No microwave ever?

• I tried not to..and i never warmed his purees, but it's hard not to do that now that he eats leftovers and lots of stuff we eat.

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't you dare feel like a bad mother!  You are feeding you child!  The microwave is fine...just make sure things don't get too hot.  I get so frustrated with holier-than-thou people who think are PERFECT parents...guess what they aren't!!!  No one is!

:)

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We never use the microwave, aluminum products, plastic, or questionable materials.  LOL, hold on I have to go find DS another rock to play with....

image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well isn't she just mother of the year? *snort*

I use the microwave daily. How else am I going to reheat leftovers and such? I'm not about to stand over the stove reheating a half cup of sweet potatoes when I can just pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds and be done with it.

Do not feel like a bad mom! Because if you are, darn near every other mother on this board is a bad mom, too. :P

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use it daily.  Not for every meal, but at least once a day.  I'm just careful about what I heat the food in, like not heating things in plastic.  Although I will admit I have used microwave safe containers that are plastic to heat food in, but I really try to avoid heating things in plastic even for DH & I.  Its fine really, you're NOT a bad mom. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • And if you live in an area that gets its electricity from nuke plants, you're preventing global warming by not using a gas stove.  People freak out about the weirdest things. 
  • I came across this article: https://www.gobeyondorganic.com/Weekly-News-Tips/have-you-tossed-out-your-microwave-oven-yet.html a while ago for my blog. Since reading it I have tried to cut back use, just because I'm undecided and there are a lot of things I can heat quickly in a skillet. That being said, I certainly don't think I'm a perfect mother or that anyone who uses a microwave is a bad mommy! It's just something I've tried to cut back on when I can.

Like others said, the fact that you're asking shows what a good mommy you are, and throwing something in the microwave for 10-15 seconds is way more practical many times than dirtying up a skillet! 

DD #1 4 years old (09/22/09)
    DD #2 2 years old (08/17/11)
    DD #3 born 08/29/13

• We didn't have one until recently, so I was just used to going without. I still don't use it on a daily basis, but that's just out of habit/routine. I do use it to reheat small portions, but we rarely have leftovers because I've become a bit of a portioning master.

I wouldn't feel bad, I think there's about 10 million more important/dangerous things that you can expose your child to in a day.

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we don't have a microwave, i hate them.  when we redo our kitchen this year we will probably put one in, but i already told my husband it will be a waste because i won't use it.
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • I've used the microwave maybe twice for LO's food. He gets his purees and baby food at room temp. If he's eating what we're eating than it's already warmed up for him so there's never really been a need for the microwave.
  • Don't even own a microwave, so no we have never cooked or reheated DD's food in one. In fact, we have never needed one.
  • Meh, I use it all the time. I always have these great ideas about how to raise LO (no TV, making my own baby food, etc etc) and it never really happens. Its convenient, and really, how much harm can it possibly do? They've been around since we were kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, how does she heat up something if it get cold? There has been times where I have had to re-heat dinner for DD.
  • I love my microwave with all of my heart, and I'm okay with that. Stick out tongue
  • I can't believe you posted this. DH has turned anti-microwave since he read something about how dangerous it is. I told him that's fine if he doesn't want to use it, but don't expect me to heat everything up on the stove or in the oven. Since I'm only defrosting or reheating in the microwave, I don't see a problem. Maybe it wouldn't be healthy if I were cooking an entire chicken in there every day. You have to save time where you can.

• Our microwave broke almost 2 months ago.  Those first couple weeks were torture trying to figure out the best way to heat thing up.  Now, I've gotten used to it and also gotten used to the extra room on the counter.  (I've decided that potatoes baked in the oven and popcorn popped on the stove are WAY BETTER than the microwave versions.  I don't think I'll be going back for those.)

DH will be getting DS1 on the bus tomorrow and then buying a new microwave.  I'm excited to be able to warm things up quickly and have less pans to wash...but I'm sad to lose the counter space.

Bianca image.
  • I use the microwave to reheat stuff all the time but I don't heat anything in plastic.
    Me 38, DH 34 Missed M/C 10/08 at 10 weeks DD born 8/09, TTC#2 since Jan 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerayandbrit:

I came across this article: https://www.gobeyondorganic.com/Weekly-News-Tips/have-you-tossed-out-your-microwave-oven-yet.html a while ago for my blog. Since reading it I have tried to cut back use, just because I'm undecided and there are a lot of things I can heat quickly in a skillet. That being said, I certainly don't think I'm a perfect mother or that anyone who uses a microwave is a bad mommy! It's just something I've tried to cut back on when I can.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that website....almost everything it stated is a myth. The plants for example:

https://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS actually prefers his food cold.  It took me a week to figure out why he wouldn't eat his pancake at breakfast, but would eat it straight out of the fridge after his nap.  If I give him warm food, he just waits until it's cold to eat.  At least it makes giving him leftovers easy!  Now I only use the microwave to defrost his pancake in the morning, and that's it!

I was just reading in a magazine that you should never microwave in plastic containers, especially if they have been damaged since the chemicals can leech into the food -- only in glass or ceramic.  I'm trying to change!

• I maybe use it for the kids once a week if that. I use it for me daily ( lean cuisine and ww meals for lunch lol)  I never defrost things in it since the meat tastes gummy to me after.

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
    The Chaos of Six!
  • never.  we don't even own one, and don't ever plan to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"