Austin Babies

what do you eat instead of rice?

Tonight we are making pork satay with peanut sauce and will have brown basmati rice with it, but what else would work?

think qunioa work work? or something else?

the hubs wants to cut back on carbs and I don't know what to sub for rice really :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what do you eat instead of rice?

• He can eat it without the rice.  Or give him lettuce and he can make lettuce wraps.  Or a salad.
  • Yeah, I think the quinoa will work.  It's similar enough in texture and how it cooked that it would seem to do pretty good as a substitute.  I've only made it a couple of times though, I really need to find some more recipes for it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Love quinoa! It's not exactly low-carb at 39 g of carbs vs. 45 g in an equal serving of brown rice. But quinoa has more protein and fiber.

There's also couscous.

• I forgot about couscous, but that's pasta not a grain.

I want to add fiber too :) Methinks the hubby should write down all the grains they have at work and we can figure out what to use, that or I should go down to WF and check out the bulk grain aisle :)

• Maybe bulgur??
    Business Cat. image
  • imagefjaril:

or I should go down to WF and check out the bulk grain aisle :)

no, no - you are in the vicinity of a trader joe's, no?  TJs trumps WF, IMHO! and it's much cheaper. Yes

[unless your H works for WH - then by all means, shop there]

• Also, on the carb substitution tip...a great substitute for pasta is using a portabella mushroom as the vehicle for what you'd normally add to pasta. Here is a favorite recipe of mine for Italian Stuffed Portabellas.
  • We used to do a lot of millet...have no idea about its nutritional content, though...Sometimes I'd mix the millet with quinoa because I didn't like the texture of the millet on its own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"