Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Wait, ... what?!

Ok this is so weird. Last month I didn't ovulate at all (confirmed by a blood test) And now I'm ovulating a second time this cycle?!

I am 11 DPO I have 21 day cycles and I have been having a lot of EWCM and my DH half jokingly said I must be ovulating. After laughing it off I started to wonder and had some extra OPK tests from earlier this month. So I tested and It was definately positive! And I know I ovulated about 11 days ago because I was using OPKs then too.

So is it possible I'm already pregnant or does this second ovulation mean I'm not pregnant or is that completely unrelative to ovulating twice? Could I concieve twice 11 days apart?!

I'm so confused! What is my body doing? NOW I regret not charting... ugh!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wait, ... what?!

• Options
    OPKs tell you when you are about to O, not that you have. So 11 days ago your body tried to O but didn't quite make it to releasing an egg and now it's trying to O again. Only charting can confirm if O did in fact occur or not. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Your not ovulating twice. You probably didn't ovulate the first time. Just because you get a positive OPK doesn't mean you ovulated. That's why we chart. To confirm ovulation. You don't know what's going on in your body. Have sex just to make sure your safe, and If you get AF, start charting so that this doesn't happen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No you aren't ovulating twice. Your body probably geared up to ovulate (EWCM and + OPK) but didn't and then geared up again. You should start charting so that you'll know for sure. Good luck! Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker

TTC 2.0
    Surprise BFP! Beta#1:37 Beta#2: 97

TTC 1.0
    IUI #1=BFN
    IUI #2=BFP! Beta#1:87 Beta #2:1050
    ~It's a GIRL!~
    Lily born 10/30/12

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
  • Options
    I say it's sexy tiiime!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It didn't make sense or sink it for me at first either, but finally did sink in.  OPKs are a secondary sign of ovulation while temperature shifts are a primary sign. OPKs only tell you that you had a hormonal surge, but the temp shift is what will tell you if ovulation happened (after it has happened). You could have multiple hormonal surges in one cycle but never ovulate which is why it's so important to temp.

Good luck. I'd hump it out if I were you just in case and then start temping next cycle.

• Options

I hope I'm not out of line for mentioning this but, am I right in remembering that OPKs can also detect HCG, and some people use them as a pregnancy test?

I would recommend a HPT just to cross check and make sure this is ovulation versus pregnancy.

ETA: Sorry I didn't see that you took a test this AM until after I already posted this. 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Options

imagelndskelly:
    OPKs tell you when you are about to O, not that you have. So 11 days ago your body tried to O but didn't quite make it to releasing an egg and now it's trying to O again. Only charting can confirm if O did in fact occur or not. 

This exactly.  This happened to me this cycle as well.

• Options
    Isn't this how you have Irish Twins? Surprise
    IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Twin Ectopic - lost left tube 12/29/10
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
  • Options

Take an hpt.  I know this is controversial, but I have heard of people who are pg and get positive OPKs.  See peeonastick.com.  Good Luck.

Alternatively, the PP's are correct, your body may have geared up to O, didn't and is now trying again.

• Options
    imageksukinik:

Take an hpt.  I know this is controversial, but I have heard of people who are pg and get positive OPKs.  See peeonastick.com.  Good Luck.

Alternatively, the PP's are correct, your body may have geared up to O, didn't and is now trying again.

This was my thought as well.

imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mother to DD, born sleeping on 9/28/11, and DS, born 3/12/13, 5lbs 13oz, 19in
  • Options
    imageJenn478:
    I thought Irish twins were when they were born seperately but very close. Like for example a baby is born on march 1st and the mom ovulates soom thereafter and gets pregnant again so that the babies are like 9 or ten months apart.
  • Options

imageJSRICH:
    imageJenn478:
    I thought Irish twins were when they were born seperately but very close. Like for example a baby is born on march 1st and the mom ovulates soom thereafter and gets pregnant again so that the babies are like 9 or ten months apart.

This is correct.

• Options
    Thanks ladies!Took a hot yesterday morning and then just now as suggested and both were negative. I did read up and food that it is rare but possible to ovulate twice in one cycle, however it's probably more likely I didn't ovulate before and my body is making up for it now. DH and I celebrated our first anniversary yesterday and of course had sex so according to my OB we should skip today and get back to it tomorrow isn't that right? Or should we start doing every other day starting today? Ugh, this is crazy! I've got to start charting! Thanks for all the feedback! Message sent from my iPad.
  • Options
    imageksukinik:

imageJSRICH:
    imageJenn478:

This is correct.

Not according to an epic day on the bump back in 2008, and I quote

"Are any of you guys using birth control while you're pregnant? I've heard of Irish twins (sorry if the term offends any of you I don't know the medical term) and actually know 2 of them and I'm wondering if DH and I should be concerned about it.

It's not that I'm not thrilled I'm pregnant, I just don't think we are ready for 2 babies at the same time."

IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
  • Options
    I'd have sex today and the next day or two. GL!
    imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mother to DD, born sleeping on 9/28/11, and DS, born 3/12/13, 5lbs 13oz, 19in
  • Options

imageginabina11:
    when in doubt- hump it out!Smile  Best advice I have seen on the board this far!  Well, the most FUN advice :)

This.  And start temping!  GL!

• Options

imageMissTiff89:
    Thanks ladies!Took a hot yesterday morning and then just now as suggested and both were negative. I did read up and food that it is rare but possible to ovulate twice in one cycle, however it's probably more likely I didn't ovulate before and my body is making up for it now. DH and I celebrated our first anniversary yesterday and of course had sex so according to my OB we should skip today and get back to it tomorrow isn't that right? Or should we start doing every other day starting today? Ugh, this is crazy! I've got to start charting! Thanks for all the feedback! Message sent from my iPad.

Unless your DH has diagnosed issues with sperm count, you don't need to have sex EOD. Every day should be fine.

And thanks for being level headed and realizing that you're more than likely not the 1 in 197,832,487,324 women who ovulate twice in a cycle. And really, most of the time, what happens is that two eggs are released at once, like with fraternal twins and this happens when eggs are released in rapid succession, or one from each ovary. When you start readinf TCOYF, you'll read that we don't alternate ovaries each month, but that the ovaries "race" to release an egg first. If they each have one ready to go, it's possible they'll both be released near-simultaneously. Once you ovulate, hormonal changes start to prepare your body for an embryo to implant, not for another egg to be released.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options
    imageJenn478:
    imageksukinik:

imageJSRICH:
    imageJenn478:

This is correct.

"Are any of you guys using birth control while you're pregnant? I've heard of Irish twins (sorry if the term offends any of you I don't know the medical term) and actually know 2 of them and I'm wondering if DH and I should be concerned about it.

It's not that I'm not thrilled I'm pregnant, I just don't think we are ready for 2 babies at the same time."

whaaaaaaaaaaaat?  ROTFLMAO

TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options
    imageJenn478:
    imageksukinik:

imageJSRICH:
    imageJenn478:

This is correct.

Yes, I remember that day.  Awesomeness!!!  haha

After almost 3 years of IF and a crazy roadside delivery, we are loving life with our second beautiful daughter! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

imageJenn478:

THANK YOU!!! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who here who remembered that.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    They used to have badges for it...."I survived Irish Twins."  It was truly truly awesome.  It was 2009 though....I remember the class I was in when it all went down. It was so fabulous. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagersrs807:

imageJenn478:

THANK YOU!!! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who here who remembered that.  

Wow!  I wasn't here for all of that,but it sounds amazing!  The one that sticks out for me is Kaydensmommy...the irish twins one sounds great!

• Options
    You could have either O'd late or yes you may be pregnant. Take an HPT just to make sure. Good luck!
  • Options
    Irish twins day was EPIC. I've never seen a post get so many views/responses.
    2 girls and a dog
  • Options

imageheather_09_15_07:
    Irish twins day was EPIC. I've never seen a post get so many views/responses.

Agreed. It's a shame it was deleted.

Infertility, Life & Loss Blog
    imageimage
    Love & luck to my 3TC girls. Congrats to Omega-The boys are here!
    If there's one thing I've learned while waiting my turn,
    it's that in each life some rain falls but you also get some sun.
    After 2 years & 2 losses, our little man arrived 8-2011.
  • Options

imagersrs807:
    They used to have badges for it...."I survived Irish Twins."  It was truly truly awesome.  It was 2009 though....I remember the class I was in when it all went down. It was so fabulous. 

Opps, my bad.  I must have been on ML when it all went down.

IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"