Breastfeeding

Can you BF while pregnant

My LO is 16 months old and we are thinking of TTC #2. Besides being nervous about having 2 LOs one thing that worries me is BFing. My LO has been exclusively BF since birth. When he turned 1 we started giving him regular milk also but he prefers and LOVES to nurse. I don't see him weaning off anytime soon. I have tried to wean him and it's been really hard. Have any of you or are any of you pregnant and still BF your LO? What does your OB say about it? Is it ok for new baby? For us? TIA

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can you BF while pregnant

• I only have one baby, but I have friends who BF while pregnant.  It's not going to hurt either on of your kids.  I have heard that your BM can change, so your LO might notice a different taste or something and could wean himself off because of that.  But take my thoughts with a grain of salt, because its all hearsay! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely fine ;-)

I got pregnant when kiddo was about 17 months.  For a while nothing changed (he also loved to nurse).  He did start to nurse less and less a few months in - I think it was a combination of his age and my supply dropping due to pregnancy (at some point your milk will change back over to colostrum).  We weaned shortly before he turned 2 (I started gently nudging him in that direction as well).

• Loading the player...
  • I got PG when Drew was 11 months old.  I nursed for another 3ish months after that without any problems.  I eventually had to stop because I broke my arm and was unable to nurse with the cast.  If not for that, I would have probably contiued.

My OB knew I was BFing and said it was fine.  She did mention that I had to make sure to eat enough calories and warned me that LOs often wean on their own sometime during pregnancy (as others have mentioned).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got pregnant when Harper was 6 months.  We successfully made it to 1 year, at which point we switched to cow's milk during the day and still nursed at night and maybe once during the day.  By the time I delivered when Harper was 15 months, we were down to about once at night.  We just stopped that after the night I delivered with no issues.  She has asked once since then, I let her try, and she was definitely no longer interested. 

My OB encouraged me to continue nursing when I found out I was pg.  The only concerns would have been if after 2nd tri it was causing contractions, or if I had trouble gaining weight.  Neither issues occurred.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"