Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Anyone else's 6 m.o NOT sleeping through the night?

My 6 month old doesn't sleep through the night and we are getting discouraged! He went through a 1 week period of STTN then he hit 4 months and BOOM, waking up 2-6 times a night. It is very rarely only once a night and never STTN. He turned 6 months this past Saturday. Anyone else in this boat? Any suggestions if your LO does STTN? 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Anyone else's 6 m.o NOT sleeping through the night?

• Options
    If you are not opposed to the Ferber method. It has worked great with both of my DD. It took one day with my first and about a week with the second. She now sleeps 10-12 hours a night. If she wakes she puts herself back to sleep without crying. Sometimes she turns the fisher price aquarium on herself in the middle of the night.
  • Options

DD just went down to 1 night waking and that was when we added solids and stopped nursing to sleep.

I feel your pain DD went through that starting at 3 months and it was tough.

We made sure she has a very regimented pre-bed routine, DD does not deal well w. changes in routine.

I nurse then hand her to Daddy who reads her a story and puts her down

We've started solids and honestly it did help her stop waking up so often but it took about a week for her to adjust and stop waking up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Same here!  DD was up to 7-9 hrs at 3 mo then she got a cold and has never gotten back to it.  A couple of weeks ago she had some 7 hr nights but the last week has been maxing out at 5 (or less) again on her first stretch. We just started solids about a week and a half ago and I think they made it worse...  I have read Ferber but I want to give her some more time to adjust to solids and see if she can get back to it on her own.  For now I'm going to bed very early when possible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, and I've done EVERYTHING anyone suggests. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD will be 9 months on Friday and still doesn't STTN.  She's down to 1-2 wake ups and is easy to put back to sleep so I don't mind.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    my 7 month old doesnt STTN
    When I see your face There's not a thing that I would change Cause you're amazing Just the way you are And when you smile, The whole world stops and stares for awhile Photobucket baby wearing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, Stay at home mom since 7-16-2010 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Family Blog
  • Options
    My DD started STTN around 4 months and suddenly around 6 months she started waking up a few times during the night. She still wakes up once or twice but i can get her back to sleep within a few minutes. I miss her STTN!
  • Options
    DD doesn't STTN and quite honestly, I don't expect her to for awhile.  Realistically, probably not until she is a year old or so.  She is EBF and still wakes up for two feedings a night.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My DS didn't start sleeping 12 straight hours until he was 8 months old.  What is your expectation for STTN?  At 6 months I really felt like my DS still wasn't quite ready to...he would go down at 6:30pm, wake at 1am and eat a full 5 oz. bottle and then go back to sleep until about 6am, eat again and go back to sleep for another hour.  At 8 months he was taking in a lot more solids and he cut out the 1am feeding on his own but then would go down at 6:30pm, eat at 3:30-4am and then go back to sleep until 7am.  At about 8mo 1wk he started trying to wake twice a night again so I decided to let him CIO.  He cried for 40 minutes from 12am-12:37am and we didn't hear from him again until 7:30am...he has been STTN a solid 12.5 hours ever since...bed at 7pm, wakes at 7am.   He eats a LOT more during the day now though (25oz pumped breastmilk, 5tbls oatmeal+a waffle or toast for breakfast, stage 3 fruit+fresh diced fruit for lunch, late afternoon snack, and a stage 3 dinner+table food from our dinner for supper.)

**Landon Keith 6/03/10 6lbs. 9oz. 19 inches**

"When the waves are flooding the shore, and I can't find my way home anymore, that's when I......I look at you" Miley Cyrus

Landon 121Landon 6-9 081

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    nope, not even close. He has never STTN. A good night is waking 2 times, but it can be anywhere from 2-5. He's teething, has been since 2 months, he has 6 teeth in already. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you are really struggling with this and you feel that you have tried everything...why not pay for a consultation with a sleep doula? We did, and I feel so thankful that I did.  She will listen to your particular situation and customize a sleep plan based on what you as parents are able to handle, and what is appropriate for your LO. It can be pricey...but after months of not sleeping more than 3-4 hours (and even that was rare) in a row at night, I was willing to pay anything!
    Bunny Love: 6 months old already! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our 7 mo old is not STTN. The maximum he has slept is a 5 hour stretch and that was only a handful of times. He wakes up several times to eat. I've tried pretty much everything except full on CIO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageAloe0l:
    DD doesn't STTN and quite honestly, I don't expect her to for awhile.  Realistically, probably not until she is a year old or so.  She is EBF and still wakes up for two feedings a night.

This is exactly us too. If she wakes up from startling or turning, she'll put herself back to sleep, but she still wakes up two or three times hungry. She'll stir a little then start talking to say "mama come get me!!" She'll nurse and fall right back to sleep.

imageimage imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    If LO is just fussing a bit don't go in there and pick him up.  DD did this occasionally, we would go in and check on her and her eyes would still be closed so we just left the room.  Within 15 minutes she was done.  DD has thrown up in her sleep before, we have turned the light on to clean her up and she doesn't even open her eyes, we do what we need to and turn the light off and she is out.  She has woken up a few times to, I just pick her up and hold her and she lays her head on my shoulder and is back out.  I have also just left her in her crib, patted her butt and she lays her head back down and goes to sleep.  When I do go check on her it's only for second.  I have heard that if you stand over there crib they can sense your presence and get more worked up.  I never bring her into my bed, don't feed her or change her in the middle of the night either.  She has been STTN since before I went back to work at 6 weeks and just gradually started going to bed earlier and sleeping longer.  Now she sleeps from around 7/7:30-6/7 maybe longer depending on the night.  Just be consistent with whatever you do.  
  • Options
    Mine isn't. we're down to one or two wakings, which is wonderful for me, considering from 3-5 months, he was up every.single.hour.
  • Options
    Well it's good to know we are not alone. I honestly would even take a 5-6 hour stretch as STTN at this point lol. I am going to read up on Ferber and see what that is all about and try a more structured routine. Thanks for all your input and I am glad to know that DS isn't the only stubborn one!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"