April 2011 Moms

No Shower but registering question

Ok...so i saw a comment related to this on another post and it made me wonder.  I am not having a shower.  Some people in my husband's family don't believe in showers and honestly no one volunteered to throw me a shower so in the end I am not having one.  Lots of people have asked me about "my shower", at which time i had to just say I wasn't having one.  They went on to say that maybe I should register anyway cuz they would like to buy us something.  So I did registered.  I only wanted to register at only one place but just so happened to register at babies r us and bbb.  I really only have small items on the registry because I am getting some hand me downs and I plan to purchase items like car seats myself.  the only expensive item I really have is the stroller, which my parents will probably buy and maybe I will put a breast pump on.  I only registered because about 5 people asked me too and I don't intend to tell anyone unless they ask me about it.  Now was this wrong of me to do.  is this tacky?  Honestly, we are grateful if people were to buy us something but we don't expect anyone to do it.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No Shower but registering question

• sounds good to me :) (most) people would rather buy something they know you want or need rather than taking a shot in the dark - and yeah, I wouldn't mention it unless someone asks
  • You're not advertising it - you're simply giving the info to those who ask. No harm in that! A lot of people register to get completion coupons if nothing else - so that works in your favor!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds totally fine. If people want to buy you a gift, they will look for a registry.

I always prefer to buy off the registry than to spend money on something the person wouldn't like or need.

• Totally ok. It will help out anyone who is planning on getting you something, shower or not. 
    Love, Peace and Rock & Roll the urban ellas Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are in a similar situation - no shower but I still registered at two places.  I was picking items based on the Baby Bargains recs and it was easier to review them online and add them to an electronic list.  Plus, I like coupons.  When family or friends ask if we've registered because they want to buy a gift, I refer them to our lists.

If you were advertising your registries on facebook or sending them out to people who didn't request the info, then that would be tacky.   Otherwise, you're just being organized.

• I don't think it is tacky at all.  Only tacky if you are sending out pregnancy announcements or birth announcement with your registry info or something like that.  Some people register just to have a place to keep track of everything they want to buy. If someone asks where you are registered I think it is fine to tell them.
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • I think it's totally fine... we registerd at 3 differences places (and only told people about one place) just to get the free samples, coupons, and baby stuff! Plus its fun going through and seeing everything...
  • I was the one who said that, and I was responding more to my impression that the OP of that post was asking for gifts but didn't want to attend a shower being thrown in her honor (she clarified later in the post that she had other showers/family asking her to register).

I think it's fine to register to keep yourself organized and to get the completion coupon. And if someone asks flat out "are you registered" then of course it's okay to share. They are asking because they want to know, you are not volunteering that info or expecting anything from anyone.

• I honestly don't see anything wrong with making a registry even if you're not having a shower (for 1st time moms - there are very few situations that justify having a registry for 2nd/3rd kids IMHO). I was actually a little suprised to read how many thought it was tacky in that previous post. People are going to want to buy you baby gifts, even if you don't have a shower, and will want to get you things you want and need.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"