Two Under 2
Options

Honestly, would you recommend two under 2?

We are thinking about going for two under 2, so I want to know would you do it again? Honestly, no judgement if you say "No Way!" What are the perks and the downfalls? I want to really think this through before we actually attempt! Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Honestly, would you recommend two under 2?

• Options
    It's exhausting, but we never got out of the baby stage so I am already used to lack of sleep and constant diaper changes. I think it will be nice to just be done with everything and not have to drag the baby stuff back out or get used to having an older one to have to go back into the shock of a baby. Actually though the baby is SO MUCH easier than the toddler!!
  • Options

Mine were 16 months apart, but DS was a preemie and adjusted they were technically only 12.5 months apart so it was practically like having two babies. Honestly? I loved every minute of it. I am currently 16 weeks along with baby # 3 and we actually were contemplating doing 2 under 2 again if we decided to have a fourth, but after this pregnancy I am done!

I am enjoying getting the diaper changes, breastfeeding and sleepless nights out of the way at once.I am excited they will all be close in age and in a few short years we can do things like Disney and amusement parks and everyone will be able to take part in our fun family excursions.

On a side note, my neighbor has 5 kids ranging from 24 YEARS down to 9 months! AHHHHHH! I would want to die.

Jacob 3.23.08 * Grace 7.22.09 * Eli 7.26.11 * Annabelle 1.18.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It definitely has gotten easy the older DS has gotten but whenever this question was asked when he was 0-3 months old I would always respond with "no way." LOL, seriously, it was awful.
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I LOVE having them this close in age now.

The first year with both of them was HARD.  

But it's a tiny drop in the bucket of the big picture of our lives and beyond worth it IMO. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options

Most definitely! I think the benefits far outweigh the downfalls. Getting the sleepless nights/diapers/terrible 2s out of the way was a big selling point for me. Although you can't predict sibling relationships from age gaps, I think it will be nice that when we do family vacations/game nights we can do the same activities. Also, from a financial standpoint it made more sense, as I am planning to not work full time until my youngest starts school full time, so I can get back to work without having to put a child in daycare quicker.

For me, the 2nd pregnancy was easier because I could rest when he napped, and since he was an infant for all but 3 weeks of my pregnancy, that meant he still napped a lot. I didnt have to entertain an older child when I was huge and exhausted. Now that baby is here, DS is too young to be jealous so the transition for him was really smooth.

The only downfalls I can think of is that it's a pain in the putt to get them both in the car when we go out/get home from running errands. I have to grab the infant seat first, then bring DS in the house so it's 2 trips. Runnign errands in general is more challenging with 2 kids, but I think that would be regardless of the age gap. Also, DS isnt entirely proficient at feeding himself with a spoon yet, so some mornings I'm balancing feeding DS oatmeal/feeding the baby at the same time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My 2nd baby has just been such a handful that this would be a challenge no matter what the age difference was.  That said, it was really tough at first and now again with the jealousy, but I would do it the same way again.
  • Options

I'd recommend it.  I know everyone has different experiences, but mine/ours was wonderful.  The thought of 2u2 was so much worse than the reality.  I spent the greater part of my 2nd pregnancy terrified about how I was going to manage a newborn and a toddler.  When DS was born, though, it just came so naturally for me.  (I should mention I had horrible PPD with DD so once the clouds were lifted, everything seemed amazing...so my experience with DS is maybe just how it normally is with a newborn.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image*Mimi*:

I'd recommend it.  I know everyone has different experiences, but mine/ours was wonderful.  The thought of 2u2 was so much worse than the reality.  I spent the greater part of my 2nd pregnancy terrified about how I was going to manage a newborn and a toddler.  When DS was born, though, it just came so naturally for me.  

This is us.  The fear of 2u2 was nothing like the reality of it.  We had a much easier adjustment to it than I ever could have expected.  In fact, we were crazy enough to do it twice, and #3 is due soon (we're actually only a few months shy of 3u3).   

imageimageimage
  • Options

Honestly, no. In theory it sounds great for all the above mentioned reasons. But my babies will be only 11 months apart and it is hard. Don't get me wrong, I feel truly blessed for having two miracle babies (after not thinking I would ever be lucky enough to carry a pregnancy to term)

But it is hard to be pregnant with an infant who only naps for 20 minutes and only when he is being held. He is also teething and is trying to walk. He wants to be propped to walk 24/7 or he throws screaming fits. As he does anytime he has to go in the play yard or crib. He is already over 22 pounds and it is hard to carry all that weight with my growing belly in the way.

I also wish I had gotten a chance to get my abs and back strong after my c-section. Although I lost all my pg weight very quickly, I wish I had the muscle tone and strength to deal with another pg plus infant.

I guess in retrospect, I would chosetwo under 2 rather than two under 1.

Not that I think that dealing with a toddler while pg. is any easier than caring for an infant while pg., but I think my body would at least have had the chance to strengthen back significantly after my first pregnancy. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagec4162:

Honestly, no. In theory it sounds great for all the above mentioned reasons. But my babies will be only 11 months apart and it is hard. Don't get me wrong, I feel truly blessed for having two miracle babies (after not thinking I would ever be lucky enough to carry a pregnancy to term)

But it is hard to be pregnant with an infant who only naps for 20 minutes and only when he is being held. He is also teething and is trying to walk. He wants to be propped to walk 24/7 or he throws screaming fits. As he does anytime he has to go in the play yard or crib. He is already over 22 pounds and it is hard to carry all that weight with my growing belly in the way.

I also wish I had gotten a chance to get my abs and back strong after my c-section. Although I lost all my pg weight very quickly, I wish I had the muscle tone and strength to deal with another pg plus infant.

Not that I think that dealing with a toddler while pg. is any easier than caring for an infant while pg., but I think my body would at least have had the chance to strengthen back significantly after my first pregnancy. 

Hang in there! I think being pregnant with 2u1 is much harder than handling the 2 kids being here. I had a c-section with the first as well so I feel your pain with the discomfort-I just got luckier that my first was an easy baby/good sleeper. I found it the most difficult from the 20-25 week mark with back pain, but the last trimester was easy once I found a good chiropractor.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    imagec4162:

Hang in there! I think being pregnant with 2u1 is much harder than handling the 2 kids being here. I had a c-section with the first as well so I feel your pain with the discomfort-I just got luckier that my first was an easy baby/good sleeper. I found it the most difficult from the 20-25 week mark with back pain, but the last trimester was easy once I found a good chiropractor.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    YES!!!  I super love it.  My boys are a few days shy of being 13 months apart and even though I wasn't thrilled about the idea when I was pregnant with #2, I'm SO GLAD it turned out this way.  It hasn't been anywhere near as difficult as I thought it would be- in fact, it's been pretty easy.  I melts my heart to see my little guys play and interact together and makes me feel so happy to know that they'll always be close and have one another to share their lives with.  In retrospect, I often find myself thinking- why doesn't EVERYBODY do this (have 2u2) because it's THAT great.  :) 
  • Options
    imagec4162:

I totally get what you mean about the getting the ab muscles back! Mine are finally getting the TLC they need to get back to normal (or as normal as they get after gaining 35 lbs during pregnancy) That must be tough!

Thank you everyone! I'm thinking we will try this summer so we will barely make it in the two under 2 category, if all goes well. Thanks for your honest input!

• Options

No, because it's exhausting and changing diapers for two kids sucks.

Yes, because we didn't have any issues with jealousy and my boys are already good little buddies.

That being said, we will wait til DS2 is two to TTC number three. 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"