Toddlers: 24 Months+

My son won't call me the "correct" name...I'm so upset

My son, Andrew, is 2 years and 5 months and he will NOT call me moma...instead he calls me MAWMAW!! I'm getting to where it's really starting to get under my skin and I don't know how to go about it!!! He's old enough to understand and I keep on and on and on telling him moma moma but he laughes and ads the "aw" to it after. I'm just to the point I don't know what to do!!

Any suggestions or similar stories?

Re: My son won't call me the "correct" name...I'm so upset

• Enjoy it? That may be how he says his As. I see that you live in AL, that could just be his southern accent showing. E calls DH "Momma" so be thrilled he has the right name for you. Honestly, I think it is really minor to worry about it.
  • my advice - find something new to be upset about it.

Seriously - he consistently calls you something, right?  And, it has a an "M" sound?  Good enough.

The bigger deal you make this, the more fun it is for him to call you the wrong thing.  Just go with it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKathrynMD:

my advice - find something new to be upset about it.

Seriously - he consistently calls you something, right?  And, it has a an "M" sound?  Good enough.

The bigger deal you make this, the more fun it is for him to call you the wrong thing.  Just go with it.

This.

DS sometimes calls me MAW-me, then the next minute he will be back to saying it the "correct" way (in my mind) which is Mum-my. It never occurred to me to be bothered by it, everyone says things different ways.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Just let it go.  DS is starting to call us just Mom and Dad now, I'm gonna miss the Mommy stage, it doesn't last long, enjoy it. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Get over it?  If this is your biggest problem in life, you are in really good shape.
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My son has taken to calling DH and I buy our first names.  We just ignored it and he called us mama and daddy again.  Since it is so similar I would just go with it.  There are so many worse alternatives.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think some of it has to be with him used to staying around his grandparents alot too :) Thanks for the helpful insights...Scratch the rude comments.

• imageneoangel06:

I think some of it has to be with him used to staying around his grandparents alot too :) Thanks for the helpful insights...Scratch the rude comments.

I think it's how you titled this that comes off a little wrong- your 2yr old son won't call you by the "correct" name.  I'm in agreement that it sounds like this is just the way he says it right now based on his developmental stage.  Kids can have little speech quirks for a long time!  Also, the more you make it an issue, the more he will probably call you that. 

• imageilovemygirls:

I think it's how you titled this that comes off a little wrong- your 2yr old son won't call you by the "correct" name.  I'm in agreement that it sounds like this is just the way he says it right now based on his developmental stage.  Kids can have little speech quirks for a long time!  Also, the more you make it an issue, the more he will probably call you that. 

Thank you! I do tend to word things wrong. I didn't mean to sound smart..I was just worried if it was normal. Non of my friends have babies so I can't really relate to anyone. I'm just gonna ignore making it a big deal and just let him know I'm moma. if somebody asks where's moma he will point to me so I'm sure he understands.

• My cousin called his mom "Bill" for a year. He wouldn't accept she was mom, and she had bigger things to be concerned about. I would not even correct him any more. He will figure it out eventually. 

• That wouldn't bother me, but then again my DD didn't call me anything until she was almost 20 months (and she had been saying Daddy since about 15 months).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DS calls me "Mimi".  He knows the word is Mommy and can say Mommy, but that's who I am apparently :-)  I don't think much about it anymore except when he says it around others and they look confused.  Oh well!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageweelass24:
    Get over it?  If this is your biggest problem in life, you are in really good shape.

yeah.... ds has a speech delay and didn't start calling me "monie" until he was almost 3.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• At least he doesn't call you by your first name like dd does to me sometimes. It bothers me but I don't get too upset by it...
  • Aw, I think it's cute :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"