Northern California Babies
Options

High RFing weight limit carseats?

I want to do a little research on higher weight RFing seats, can anyone point me in the right direction?

We've got the boys in the 35 pound Britax Boulevards and we were able to keep Andrew RFing until he was 30 months and even then I felt all anxious about turning him. Yeah, of course he was totally fine.

I figured I'd be able to keep Cooper until he was 3 pretty easily, he's always been about 20-25% or weight. Little bugger went and had a monster growth spurt on me and when I put him on the scale today with all his clothes and rain boots on he was 34 pounds.  Akkk, I am sooooooo not ready to turn him.  He's super skinny and looks so fragile to me still.  I need to measure him too but a 3 months ago he was 36", of course he was only 28 pounds then too.

Re: High RFing weight limit carseats?

• Options

According to Consumer Reports these 2 convertible seats have limits of 40# RF and 65# FF and they are both ranked as Consumer Reports "best buy" picks.

Evenflow Momentum 65 Deluxe

Graco My Ride 65

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Britax's next generation carseats go to 40 lbs RF.  I'm not sure I'd buy a new seat for 6 lbs though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been eyeing one of these seats myself. Rear facing to 45#, forward facing to 80#. Supposedly it's the only seat on the market that goes that high, but I don't know that for sure.

https://www.mypreciouskid.com/car-seat-safety-radian80.html 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMrs.BoomBoom:
    Britax's next generation carseats go to 40 lbs RF.  I'm not sure I'd buy a new seat for 6 lbs though.

That's exactly how I'm feeling.  I know that Andrew was 31 pounds at 19 months and it took him until 30 to hit the weight limit and if Cooper's growth spurt is over he will probably sit at the same weight for a long time at this age but yeah we don't have that kind of disposable income to justify it for something that only goes to 40 pounds.

• Options

The Sunshine Kids Radian carseats have the highest RF weight limits last I checked and are taller seats so they last longer than other seats with similar limits.  Even FF they allow 5 point harnessing longer than other seats I think.

We ended up turning C FF at 27 months.  I wanted to get closer to three but he just got too big and cranky about it.  As it is, he is 32 months now and would have outgrown the First Years True Fit (which was second in line for tallest seat when I bought it) by height RF already.  I'm sure he's 35 pounds already too which is that seat's RF limit.  I just had to accept that despite how he looks, he's a bigger kid than average and that means he's going to outgrow things sooner than expected. 

• Options
    We have the sunshine kids radian. Just installed it this weekend. Its 45 lbs rear facing and 80 front facing. Its super narrow too, so really I could use every seat in the back seat if needed. It is hugely tall, so I can see how it wouldn't fit in smaller cars. I have a hyundai tucson and it barely fit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageDandaLion:
    We have the sunshine kids radian. Just installed it this weekend. Its 45 lbs rear facing and 80 front facing. Its super narrow too, so really I could use every seat in the back seat if needed. It is hugely tall, so I can see how it wouldn't fit in smaller cars. I have a hyundai tucson and it barely fit.

Thank you for the info, that difference would be worth it for sure.  I've got a Ford Explorer, so you would think tons of room but with the Boulevards RFing we can put the passenger seat back as far as would be comfy (I'm 5'9") but we've just dealt with it with both kids so a bit longer wouldn't kill either one of us.

• Options

imagejsugrin:

imageDandaLion:

Thank you for the info, that difference would be worth it for sure.  I've got a Ford Explorer, so you would think tons of room but with the Boulevards RFing we can put the passenger seat back as far as would be comfy (I'm 5'9") but we've just dealt with it with both kids so a bit longer wouldn't kill either one of us.

We actually had to put it in the center seat in the back (which I know is where technically it is safest) to get it to fit. We had the Chicco Keyfit infant seat and it would not fit in the center seat without the driver and passenger seat being pushed waay too far forward (we are tall- I am 5'8" and SO is 6'2"), so we put it on the passenger side. I tried putting the Radian in the passenger side (thinking it would be the same problem as the chicco in the center) and I had to put the passenger seat all the way forward. However, putting it in the center seat (I don't have latch for the center, but can use the seat belt) I can push both the driver and passenger seats back as far as I need and recline them a fair amount. Very odd, but it totally worked out better for us. I now can actually fit 2 adults on either side of it in the back where the chicco I would only be able to fit 1 other person in the back with the car seat.

• Options

It won't let me edit, but I did go shopping with my friend and her young daughter over the weekend and we were able to fit both car seats (she has a Graco My Ride 65) and had no problem fitting both car seats in next to eachother (mine in the center and her daughters on the passenger side) if you were wondering about fitting 2 car seats in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"