Trouble TTC

Lurker Question - # of follicles your RE will cancel IUI at?

A post below got me thinking about this...  We're gearing up to do our first Clomid + IUI cycle next month, and our RE said she would cancel at 5 "good sized" follicles.  I know ultimately it is up to us if we want to cancel at less than 5, but out of curiousity, what # will your RE cancel at?
BFP #1:  DS born 1/5/12 (after 2 years TTC + 2 cycles IUI)
BFP #2:  6/23/13, MMC 7/29/13, D&C 7/31/13
BFP #3:  9/20/13, EDD 5/30/14

Re: Lurker Question - # of follicles your RE will cancel IUI at?

• I think it's four follies at our RE's office.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our RE will cancel with 4 follies if you don't sign a form giving consent for a selective reduction in case they are all viable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • This came up on our last IUI cycle. We had 4 mature, with one likely to catch up. My RE doesn't have a set number where she will cancel a cycle. We thought we had a MFI issue (post-wash count was only 9 million with IUI #1) so we decided to go ahead with those numbers. Turns out there was no MFI that time (19 million post-wash) but after several discussions of risks of HOM and selective reduction, we went ahead anyway. Still BFN, but I would not do that again. I was a nervous wreck for the entire 2WW that we had made the wrong decision. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My RE cancels at 4 or more follies and she really prefers 1 or 2.  Sadly, I've never had more than 1.

Good luck!

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Most REs will cancel with more than three or four but it depends on your history too.

I've had four IUIs, three of them with two mature follies and one with one mature follie. After my third failed IUI, my RE said he's let me do the IUI with up to five mature follies. 

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the replies.  Obviously I have no idea how I'll respond to the Clomid, but I'm thinking we might want to consider canceling at 4.  I just don't think we could go through with a selective reduction. 

Ugh.  I wish no one had to worry about these kind of things.

BFP #1:  DS born 1/5/12 (after 2 years TTC + 2 cycles IUI)
    BFP #2:  6/23/13, MMC 7/29/13, D&C 7/31/13
    BFP #3:  9/20/13, EDD 5/30/14

• Thank you so much for posting this... I also will be going through the same thing next cycle. So much great advice Smile
  • Are you having mid-cycle bloodwork as well? My RE says estradiol (estrogen) level will help them determine if they are all viable (have mature eggs). They expect to see 250 per viable follie. Last cycle, I had four that measured mature, but my b/w indicated 3 were viable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"