Upstate NY Babies

S/O What's for Dinner

What are your grocery list staples.  I have such a hard time thinking of things to buy at the store unless it is something for a specific recipe.  

Is there anything you always buy at the store or make sure you have on hand? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/O What's for Dinner

• I almost always buy- bread, lunchmeat, granola bars, cereal, fruit, veggies (frozen and fresh), milk, coffee creamer, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese (parm, goat, cheddar, mozzarella), eggs, butter,  juice etc.

I also check out the pantry to see what we need for staples- flour/sugar, peanut butter, rice, dry pasta, canned/dried beans, canned tomatoes, canned artichokes, sundried tomatoes, chicken stock (with things like that in the house, I know I can throw together a quick pasta dish or something)

Then I look at the adds/coupons to see what is on sale, what I can stock up on (meat to put in the freezer etc)

I keep my freezer stocked w/ frozen meats/seafood (especially shrimp... for those quick pasta dishes), frozen leftovers (sauce/meatballs, soups/chili etc), frozen veggies and fruit (for smoothies).

HTH!

• I always have cereal, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, deli meat and cheese, healthy snacks, fruit, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, taco seasoning, green chiles, frozen veggies, brown rice, chicken and beef broth/stock, cream soups for cooking (usually celery), frozen chicken and backups of salsa, peanut butter, jelly, sour cream. We tend to eat a lot of Mexican food so having a variety of things I use for that makes it easy to just have DH grab the meat if we need it.  Also things like broths, veggies, tomatoes, etc are great if I want to throw together a soup. And I like to have stuff for sandwiches always on hand for lunches and if I don't feel like cooking I will throw a panini together.

I don't keep a ton of all this stuff, but I try to make sure I always have some of it on hand. I like to wait until I have a coupon or there is a sale to really stock up. My weekly list is usually mostly just what I need for my recipes along with fresh produce.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I always buy a ton of fruit and fresh veggies - a some frozen.

My go-to dinner for DH is pasta in a garlic butter sauce with chicken and a veggie. We do breakfast for dinner a lot - so I always have 2 dozen eggs in the fridge. We also have pasta a lot - I have jars of sauce and the ingredients to make it from scratch, and packets of sauce mix- Knorr I think - for pesto, creamy pesto, Parma Rosa.

I always buy chicken in stir-fry strips...and pork as well. It faster to get cooking. DH likes to have steak sometimes - for asian stir fries...so I have that in the freezer.

I do a lot of grilled cheese with hidden veggies for Evan. So bread and sliced cheese is always a must.

The kids only drink milk (and water) so we buy tons each week.

• I always buy the club pack of chicken breast and a few lbs of ground turkey each month- they stay portioned out in the freezer.Those are really the only meats we eat, oh and Justin's turkey breakfast sausage. I'll stock up on pasta when it's on sale too.

Things I pretty much buy every week; fruit (especially bananas & apples), Veggies (broccoli, zucchini, potatoes) eggs (at least 2 dzn a week), bread, sliced cheese, cereals, coffee creamer and yogurt.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Usually it's milk, coffee creamer, eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, yogurt, fruit and veggies (whatever is in season and strikes my fancy), deli meats and american cheese (can't do the Kraft slices), whole grain bread, tuna (try to stock up immediately after using some cans for tuna salad or a casserole). I also stock up on broths, rice and pasta when I see I'm running low.

As for meats, I like to buy them in bigger packages, then break them down and put them in the freezer. I'll put individual chicken breasts or pork chops in cheap sandwich bags (the non-zipper kind), then put them in large ziploc bags. If I get large packages of ground beef, I'll weigh them out to 1 lb. globs and freeze them individually to use later in casseroles. During the summer, we'll make hamburger patties and freeze them to use when we want something quick on the grill.

• Every week we buy:  milk, lunchmeat for DH, fruit, bread, yogurt, some sort of meat, lettuce, frozen veggies, canned fruit for DD when fresh stuff isn't in season

I try to keep pasta and sauce on hand, butter, cheese, crackers, pasta/rice side dishes, potatoes, oatmeal, cereal, pizza dough and sauce, salad fixings, eggs and baking stuff. I don't buy this stuff every week...just when they run low.

• Bananas, salad mix, strawberried/bluberries, oranges

Bread, bagels

Chicken, beef, chicken sausage

Cheese, yogurt, pudding, eggs, milk

Cereal, Fiber One granola bars, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches

RIce, pierogies, pasta, sauce, peanut butter, tater tots, one frozen pizza when we are in a pinch, ravioli/tortellini, turkey meatballs, frozen veggies

Waffles 

These are things that we get almost everytime.   

imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"