Adoption

Hi everyone :)

I've never posted on this board before, so I hope I'm not intruding. My husband and I have been TTC for 17 months, and we both have some minor fertility issues. We are about to be moving and purchasing a house so we have decided that we'll need to wait on further testing/treatment. 

As of now, we aren't even TTC (but not avoiding) but I have slim hopes that we'll be able to conceive on our own at all.  

All this to say- my mom called me today and told us about a 14 yr old girl that attends her church who is 7 months pregnant, and planning on putting the baby up for adoption. My mom knows her mom well, and has emailed her letting her know that my husband and I have been TTC with no success for a while and are just starting to look into adoption. If this girl considers letting us adopt her baby, I'm assuming it would be a private adoption. I know nothing about this, so of course I'm going to look it up- but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Thank you so much!  

Re: Hi everyone :)

• We did a private adoption and had a wonderful experience.  You need to get yourself a great attorney though and they will be able to recommend a social worker in your area so you can get started on your homestudy ASAP, also make sure you ask about counseling for the girl (if there are community resources she can utilize, or if you are allowed under your state's laws to pay for private counseling for her).

Also check out the FAQ's at the top of the board.

• Welcome!

I second the suggestion of counseling for the girl and checking out the FAQ's.

This is a great board with a ton of awesome people. Post anytime.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the warm welcome! I did check out the FAQ's but didn't see much about private adoptions... will keep researching! :) Thanks so much! 
  • The FAQ's can point you to books with information on private adoption (Adoption for Dummies, etc) and other resources about open adoption if that is something the birthmother is interested in.  After reading those, we're happy to fill in the gaps for you.  :)
  • Welcome Honey (I've seen you on the TTGP board).

I'm a birthmom =) 

BM to Kenzie 9/1/04 --- Married 1/22/09 --- Me 27 - DH 25 --- TTC our first since April 2010 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Hi!  I would start with finding out if this girl is interested in specifically placing the baby with you.  Once you are certain that she is committed to you and your husband adopting, then meet with an adoption attorney, who can explain all of the specifics of private adoption in your state.  Of course, there are resources to read in general about private adoption, but laws about this vary greatly by state.

If you get to the point of needing an attorney, I suggest this website for finding representation:   www.adoptionattorneys.org/

Good luck! 

• imageMrsB2007:

We did a private adoption and had a wonderful experience.  You need to get yourself a great attorney though and they will be able to recommend a social worker in your area so you can get started on your homestudy ASAP, also make sure you ask about counseling for the girl (if there are community resources she can utilize, or if you are allowed under your state's laws to pay for private counseling for her).

Also check out the FAQ's at the top of the board.

All this exactly. And welcome and good luck. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have experience with private adoption as we are using an agency, but i wanted to wish you good luck. The pp have given you great advice and i third the counseling advice. 
  • Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice! I am doing a bit of research, and waiting to hear back if it's even an option. 

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome and information! 

• Hi, welcome, and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"