High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

if you're taking procardia to prevent contractions

do you take it as needed or on a schedule?  my dr. said that i could take it as needed up to every 4-6 hours as long as my heart rate was under 120.  she prescribed it because i have been having off and on bouts of 4-5 bh an hour unless i am sitting or laying down, and they were lasting sometimes between 2-5 minutes. (and i have a history of ptl- had ds at 29 weeks)

i am not a person that normally takes any medications though (just generally healthy) and i'm having a hard time deciding when i should be taking the procardia.  i don't want to feel like i'm overtaking it if i don't really need it, but then if i have two bh in 30 min, i think "well, i have this, so maybe i should just take it if it makes them go away- that has to be better, right?".  

i also have noticed, that if i do take it- it stops me from having bh (i've only had one bh during the time i've taken 3 pills), but as soon as it wears off, i seem to start having them right away.  does this happen to anyone else?  

i know that i can/should ask these questions to my dr. next time i'm in, but i thought i would get some opinions of how others are using/experiencing taking procardia.  any thoughts?

bound to cover just a little more ground Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: if you're taking procardia to prevent contractions

• Options

I've been taking it since I was 24wks and 3 days along for prevention of contractions.  I'm on it around the clock every 6 hrs.  I set my alarm to take it at 4:30 am, which totally bites, but my body has adjusted my night time pee break to this time, so I just get everything done.  I do notice that if I'm late or forget, that I do start feeling more, although I've taken it on time today and yesterday, and have been having on/off contractions since yesterday afternoon (I've already called).

I'm curious, though, as to why your Dr said if your HR is under 120 (I understand WHY, but I'm wondering if you have an underlying heart issue or something that is making him not want to prescribe it around the clock??  The nitrates (like nitroglycerin) in the procardia don't mix well with tachycardia (high HR), so this may be a reason for the difference.

I'm also on modified bedrest - sounds like maybe you should try to take it super easy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

yeah, i'm taking it super easy.  pretty much no nothing (exertion, sex, exercise, picking up my 2 yr old) and i try to sit down or lay down whenever i can.  luckily i'm a sahm so i get a lot of opportunities for that (and have a messy house). 

i don't have any heart issues,  if anything i normally have lower blood pressure and low heart rate and i'm not really sure why they said as needed either.  i tried to search back through posts on here (not that the bump has the greatest search system) and it seemed like everyone i could find took it on a schedule. 

bound to cover just a little more ground Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mine was every four hours after a run of contractions after getting my cerclage in. She wanted to wean me off though so we changed to longer incriments. 6,8,10,12 and now I am off and have been for a few weeks. I had a few CTX a week or so and took one but thats it.
  • Options
    imageamahrey:

yeah, i'm taking it super easy.  pretty much no nothing (exertion, sex, exercise, picking up my 2 yr old) and i try to sit down or lay down whenever i can.  luckily i'm a sahm so i get a lot of opportunities for that (and have a messy house). 

i don't have any heart issues,  if anything i normally have lower blood pressure and low heart rate and i'm not really sure why they said as needed either.  i tried to search back through posts on here (not that the bump has the greatest search system) and it seemed like everyone i could find took it on a schedule. 

If your heart rate gets too high, it's a sign that your blood pressure is too low due to the Procardia. When I was in the hospital with my last pregnancy, I had PPROM. After my water broke the MFM thought it would be a good idea to up my dose to 30mg of Procardia. I didn't handle it well at all. My heart rate was 145, the room was LITERALLY spinning and I was dry heaving because I was so nauseous. All of this was because my blood pressure dropped way too low. So basically, it is just a sign that your blood pressure may be dropping a little low. 

Also, to answer your question, I am on 10 to 20mg as needed every 6 hours. I'm only 19 weeks though, so I think as time goes on it may be around the clock.  

IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I"m on procardia every 4 hrs. round the clock (20mg)  Still have lots of contrax at times... but without it I'd prob have my babies by now.

I have high BP since our 1st son was born so for me it's helping that too.

good luck

• Options

I have been on 10mg every 4 hours for 6 weeks now.  It slows down the contractions but they have never gone away fully.  Some days are much worse than others.  I am also on bed rest.

Best wishes!

*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • Options

I've been on 10mg every 6 hrs plus Hydroxysine 25 mg every 6 hrs to prevent contractions since 29 weeks. 10mg of procardia is actually a small dose. Are you taking more than 10mg? Every 6 hrs of 10mg of procardia is safe. Contractions start as soon as the medicine wears off, that's very normal. Good luck! 

• Options
    thanks for all the replies ladies.  i know i can find a lot of info on google, but sometimes i like hearing actual people talking.  i'm only taking 10mg and i decided to start taking it every 6 hours while i'm awake at least.  i haven't noticed much bh while sleeping (and i'm a pretty light sleeper) so i think i will see how this goes for a few days. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"