Northern California Babies
Options

constipation/throwing up

Katie has not really been sick before. HOwever she is throwing up. She has been constipated a bit and I am wondering if this can cause throwing up? What do you give your LO when there tummy is not feeling well. I am not sure which way to look at this or what to give her or not give her. Water, pedialyte, toast any suggestions will help. Thanks

Kristin

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: constipation/throwing up

• Options

I have no advice, but I hope she feels better soon!

• Options
    I would give pedialite and then do the BRAT diet. Normally constipation doesn't cause throwing up as far as I know. If she is pooping pellets then I would say that is a sign she needs more liquid. I would also give her a gylcerin suppository to help her poop. I hope K feels better!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Generally vomiting is due to a viral illness but there can be other causes, so if it persists, I might take her to see the doctor, especially if she is complaining of a lot of tummy pain, or if there is high fever, or the vomit looks green, or if there is any blood in it (of course). Also if she gets dehyrdated, no urine in 8 or more hours, or lethargic. 

As far as hydration, small amounts of fluid are best, either pedialyte, or gatorade if she won't drink pedialyte (many kids won't at her age). But the key is very small amounts, an ounce at a time.Water is pretty nauseating.  If she drinks a cup of juice or water or anything she will likely throw it back up. If she can at least keep down a small amount, you can give her that frequently and she can stay hydrated.  She really does not need to eat food right now, if she does want to eat then just saltines or toast and very small amounts to start out. 

constipation only causes vomiting if it is very severe. She may develop diarrhea as the virus works its way down the GI tract.  

• Options
    I dont think it is constipation causing it now. She has had a fever all day and only hols things down for 30 minutes or so. Thanks for the information,pedialyte is working. It comes in juice boxes and she wants the juice box. trying to do small amounts at a time to see what she will hold down. poor thing, never been sick before.
  • Options
    Severe constipation can cause vomiting.  Our advice nurse said this is when you should seek medical attention.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"