Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Difficulty transitioning from purees to table foods??

I'm having lots of difficulty getting DS#2 to eat table foods.  It took a while to get him on purees (started at 6 months) but after a while, it was fine....he eats 2 jars a meal. He has 5 teeth, 2 upper, 3 lower.

He ate/liked every single babyfood puree/blend/meat I've given him except real mashed banana. 

He will eat most crackers/cookies

He ate a lot of DH's veggies last night from Cracker Barrel so that gives me hope, today I got most of a cup of diced cooked carrots in him....but still had to mash them, he spit out the actual cubes but tolerated most of the lumpier stuff.,

He will NOT eat (after multiple attempts) mandarin oranges, peaches, pears from the fruit cups I buy DS#1, cheese

He will eat spaghetti (from dinner the other night) and shredded/tiny bites of chicken from my last 2 cooked at home dinners, applesauce, yogurt,  bites of sandwich that I pinch off what I am having but sometimes spits it out

So, this makes me think that he may have some texture aversions (as do I).   Any suggestions would be great....I don't want to be feeding this kid purees for another 6 months!

Megan--Mommy to Owen 1.10.07 and Gibson 5.11.10

Re: Difficulty transitioning from purees to table foods??

• Maybe the carrots were not soft enough? Matthew will not eat the veggies uless they are very soft. Do you give him cherrios? When you give him cheese is it cut up in really small pieces?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are having a slow transition as well. I will admit I'm not the best offer-er of table food, but I'm working on it. JJ is still on the really pureed food and not a huge fan of the thicker purees. When I give him toast it just seems like he numms it and doesn't eat it. I'm trying more things and I'm just going to go slow. Every baby is on a different schedule. If JJ is not on all table food at a year I'm not going to be too worried.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • What your baby is eating sounds like a table food dream.  My little one just does not like the table foods yet and she is almost 11 months.  We keep trying and trying.  She is starting to become a champ with the puffs and the yogurt melts and eats thicker purees with chunks.  She just isn't into the rest of the table food yet, We will keep on trying as much as we can. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, it sounds to me like you are doing really well!  You say he's not eating table foods, but then you listed quite a lot of table foods he will eat. =)  It sounds like there are a few things he doesn't like - I would say just keep offering them and eventually he may change his mind.  I'll often convince myself that DS just hates something and then when I finally offer it again for what feels like the millionth time, he loves it!  I agree with the previous poster about making sure things are soft enough and in small enough bites.

One thing that I discovered for DS this weekend is frozen yogurt drops.  We had some yogurt that I thought we might not get to before the expiration, so I put baby spoonfuls on a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet and froze them.  DS loved it!  They melt pretty quickly, but they are cold and creamy and he can feed himself, which he loves.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • um, yea my DD is 10 months and chokes on mashed up food then vomits. She's not ready for mashed, textured foods yet.... per pedi
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"