Attachment Parenting
Options

Volunteering w/ a baby

Do any of you ladies do volunteer work somewhere that you can bring your baby along?  I don't work and staying cooped up in the house is getting old, so I'd like to volunteer somewhere.  I figure I can just wear DS, but I'm not sure what sort of work wold be appropriate.  Any suggestions?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Volunteering w/ a baby

• Options
    I'm so glad you asked this! I've been meaning to make a similar post. I used to volunteer at a local animal shelter, and could walk dogs while wearing her, but we moved and the closest shelter is too far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMellsHells:
    I'm so glad you asked this! I've been meaning to make a similar post. I used to volunteer at a local animal shelter, and could walk dogs while wearing her, but we moved and the closest shelter is too far.

Oooh, that's a great idea, and totally in line with my interests (we have somewhat of a private animal rescue shelter out of our home, but only have cats).  There is an SPCA and another no-kill dog shelter not too far from me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our neighborhood is redoing our park and I volunteered to help. I will just be helping plant flowers and stuff with DS on my back! The animal shelter would be great as well, that is a good idea
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options
    imageAnanke:

imageMellsHells:

Oooh, that's a great idea, and totally in line with my interests (we have somewhat of a private animal rescue shelter out of our home, but only have cats).  There is an SPCA and another no-kill dog shelter not too far from me.

Most shelters will not let you wear your baby.  It is a huge liability for them.  Plus - you don't know the dogs so IMO its dangerous to bring your baby around animals you and baby are unfamiliar with.  Not all dogs are baby friendly.

• Options

I'd check with your library--if they need shelvers, or someone to help with repair-work or any number of other things, you should be fine(especially if you're wearing the baby, and keeping him out of their way).  With funding cuts left and right, a lot of libraries are understaffed lately, since when people do leave, they're replaced by part-timers or not at all, and reliable volunteers are AWESOME(unfortunately, the "reliable" part is hard to come by, since most of what can be done by non-staff tends to be "boring" and you'd be surprised how many people don't know their alphabet).

Your son is probably a bit young for it now, but I've actually had some great "helpers" once they hit around 2...pushing in chairs, helping put board books back on the shelf(these don't usually need to be in order), straightening puzzles, etc.  One of our favorite visitors at the first branch I worked was the grandson of the lady who ran the "Friends of the Library" book-sale table, who would come in and help put things on the table, sort boxes, etc.  I think he was about two when I moved to another branch, but he was one of our best and most cheerful volunteers.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Maybe talk to your local hospital? There are usually some non-patient contact positions available and depending on how your hospital views AP, they might let you wear your LO while putting together information packets, etc.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You could possibly try mentoring a child in foster care, or like a big brothers/big sisters type of thing. I work with The Children's Home Society here doing photography and I bring DD with me. I haven't started mentoring yet, but it's something I want to do. They could probably match you with a child that would enjoy the interaction with a baby, and your DC would probably benefit as well. 
  • Options
    imagewaterfly:

I'd check with your library--if they need shelvers, or someone to help with repair-work or any number of other things, you should be fine(especially if you're wearing the baby, and keeping him out of their way).  With funding cuts left and right, a lot of libraries are understaffed lately, since when people do leave, they're replaced by part-timers or not at all, and reliable volunteers are AWESOME(unfortunately, the "reliable" part is hard to come by, since most of what can be done by non-staff tends to be "boring" and you'd be surprised how many people don't know their alphabet).

I worked at a library for a few years, and I think this is a great idea.  Volunteers were required to take a basic test to show that they knew how to alphabetize properly.  Most of the work available for volunteers involved shelving books or preparing for special events.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    What about a nursing home? I work at one and they are always looking for volunteers. The residents would love to see your LO too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a hard time finding good volunteer options but I really liked being a pet foster home.  A lot of resuces and shelters really need good foster homes right now.
  • Options
    Do you have a local church? You don't have to be a member to volunteer. Our church has tons of volunteer events in our community. I always brought DD. I would assume that goes for most religious organizations. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"