Preemies

need to vent...not completely baby related.

Ok so yesterday I stopped by my hair dresser's to get a quick trim, because I needed it REALLY BAD. One of the downsides to my current style.I am trying to grow it out so my stylist asks "What are we doing to it today." I tell her and then ask if that makes sense. She says yes and starts cutting. I got home last night and really checked it out and I freaking hate what she did. This has got to be hormones or something because this girl is normally very good,  but I was disgusted. The one thing that i really needed cleaned up on the back was still there and i realized she never even took the trimmer to the back to get the straglers. Grrrrr.

Second, I waited all day for DH to get home before i went to the NICU. We get there an we hold Blake. When we were done we went to check on Addison and I asked if we could hold her. The nurse told me no! Mind you two days ago the Neo said I would be able to hold her, needless to say it still hasn't happened. The nurses reason...because she is stil intubated. Yeah so was her brother the first time two times I held him. The Neo was pushing for kangaroo care to help desensitize her and aid in her progress. Not to mention somehow Addison's leads must have came loose or fell off but for a half and hour her heart rate and reaperations were not showing up on the monitor. The nurse never even came to her bedside to check on her. So last night when I left I felt totally defeated and think that yet again I've got another nurse who I don't want caring for my children. It also bothers me that none of the other nurses seemed concerned and just said "Oh her nurse will be right back and can see what's going on."

Well I think that's enough venting for now. On a good note, DH held Blake for the first time last night. And yesterday with some help from my grandmother I was able to get a lot of housework and errands done. Now today I have returns to make.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: need to vent...not completely baby related.

• Hang in there! I hope you get to hold her soon. It never ceases to amaze me the level of difference in opinions from one nurse shift to the other. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What kind of NICU is this? All nurses in Sam's neighborhood care for all babies if they his nurse isn't within earshot. And the leads not being on properly? His monitor and all of their pagers would be going off after a few seconds of no reads. 

Talk to a social worker or ask for another family meeting with the NEO and ask that all instructions be passed to the nursing staff. I'd try to be there for rounds and ask the Neo to reinforce what he said right there, so the nurse couldn't doubt it. Sam was held while intubated, just like Blake. I think it's good for them to feel their mother's comfort.

These nurses seem to just have bad attitudes. It'll be ok and your babies will never remember them, even though you will.  

• Loading the player...
  • (((hugs))) It is so difficult when the opinons differ so greatly from nurse to nurse. When we found a nurse we liked - we requested her whenever she would be on. Don't be afraid to advocate - at first I was afraid to "hurt" a nurses feelings - but eventually I realized that I had to do what I felt was best for my family. We found 3 or 4 nurses who were amazing, and just kept having my babies while they were there. It made my NICU experience a lot more bearable. I really hope you get to hold Addison soon :) Thinking of you!
  • Thank you ladies. I am so glad I have people who can really relate. The NICU is a bay style so there were a few other nurses around when this happened with  Addison but nobody seemed concerned, and to their benefit most were working with other babies and I do understand that unless a dire emergency there are some cases where they can't stop what they are doing.

I am actually also going to consider asking to Neo to move Addison when one of Blake's neighbors goes home soon. Right now there is a huge space with a dresser that divides them, and I would love to actuLly be able to sit between the two of them instead of moving back and forth. But we shall she what happens with that suggestion too.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"