Washington Babies

Shoes for beginning walkers

Ella just started walking and DH insists we get her "walking shoes". I have no clue what shoes are best for beginning walkers. Any ideas?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Shoes for beginning walkers

• In our day, "they" insisted that we had to have these stiff supportive "walker" shoes. That's old school. Now "they" say to keep them barefoot as much as possible. So Robeez or barefoot is best most of the time. If she's just starting to walk she probably isn't going to be walking outside much for a bit so I would wait for "real" shoes til you're ready for that. Their feet grow fast and good shoes are expensive. For the first few years I go with stride rites. They have flexible soles and come in brook widths and te people at the stores seem to actually know how to fit kids correctly. Nordstrom also has good toddler shoes, including stride rite.
  • We love Robeez Tredz,  Holden seems to have the easiest time walking in them above all the other shoe brands we have tried.
    imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Loading the player...
  • We've really liked Pedipeds, they're super flexible and hold up really well.  Now that M is older she wears Pedipeds Flex or Stride Rites. 
    -Deborah

• We have a pair of Smaller (by See Kai Run) that Lucy does great in those.  She also LOVES her squeakers.  She really get excited about walking in them and wants to take extra steps just to hear squeaks. Otherwise, she's just in her Robeez (actually, the Target knock offs).  :)

ETA: The squeakers are Wee Squeaks and Itzy Bitzy brand.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pedipeds are my favorite and get the seal of approval from whoever handles those sorts of things. I signed up for their emails and I buy ahead when their on sale. She's on her fourth pair, and I have two of the next sizes. I also like See Kai Run, but I can never seem to get myself to pull the trigger on the purchase.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • image~Lynchie~:
    We love Robeez Tredz,  Holden seems to have the easiest time walking in them above all the other shoe brands we have tried.

I loved Robeex Tredz and was a sad, sad mama when N grew out of the brand.

• Harper lived in Pedipeds and Robeez during her early walking days :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It was great to meet you today!  I have always gotten the girls' shoes from stride rite.  I really like the outlet in North Bend because the prices are much cheaper.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• imagejcyahne:
    It was great to meet you today!  I have always gotten the girls' shoes from stride rite.  I really like the outlet in North Bend because the prices are much cheaper.

Do you find the people there to be able to deal with fitting the kids?  I went once and had such a crap experience that I haven't been back.  Plus my kids have WIDE feet and there weren't many wides... I should give it another try. 

• imageSeattle_JiLLn:

imagejcyahne:
    It was great to meet you today!  I have always gotten the girls' shoes from stride rite.  I really like the outlet in North Bend because the prices are much cheaper.

Do you find the people there to be able to deal with fitting the kids?  I went once and had such a crap experience that I haven't been back.  Plus my kids have WIDE feet and there weren't many wides... I should give it another try. 

The only time I had them do a shoe fitting was when Jillian was about one, and it seemed all right.  But then again, I don't have a comparison.  And her feet are pretty normal in terms of width.

With shoes what I usually do is buy a couple pairs in each size and as her feet grow just keep  switching them out and saving them for Hayden.  I usually wait for a good sale and then stock up on a couple sizes then.  In January I got 7 pairs for under $100.  Over President's Day I got a pair for Hayden for under $3.  One thing to pay attention to at Stride Rite is that there is a survey you can answer at the end of the receipt.  Answering that survey is good for $5 off on your next visit and doesn't expire for 90 days.

My Blog

• We also had a good experience at the North Bend Stride Rite outlet. Whitney has really short fat feet, so it's been really hard to find a good fit. We tried on a bunch of different styles, but did find some size 3s that fit like a glove, with a really flexible sole.

I really want to get some squeaky shoes though! So cute, and I  bet DD would love them!

Rachael and Tim - est. 10.2.04 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No!! Just say no to the squeakers!! Those shoes are mean. Other people do not need to hear your kid squeak squeak squeaking all over the place. Those shoes are so annoying!!!!!!!!!
  • I do like shoes that light up though or at least Jillian does.  Those are less obnoxious but uncommon in prewalker sizes.

My Blog

• Ben's begging for light up shoes too!  arrgh... at least we dont' have to worry about those dumb shoes with wheels yet!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"