Natural Birth

Are birth classes necessary?

I?m planning a natural (possibly a water birth) at a local hospital with a midwife. This is my first pregnancy and so far I?ve done some reading and plan on doing a lot more (Ina May, Husband Coached Childbirth...etc). However the natural childbirth classes the hospital offers conflicts with my work schedule so we?re not able to attend unless I find a private instructor. So I?m trying to wager not taking any classes at all and just reading books. I guess I?m wondering if I should fork over the couple hundred dollars for a semi-private instructor or just continue researching and reading myself. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are birth classes necessary?

• I personally am required by my birth center to take a childbirth class, so IMO it would probably be better for you to actually attend a class...some things are just hard to learn from books, but then again, maybe you could manage it... That being said, if you do decide to go ahead with the classes, I would check the area and see if there are any doulas or other MW's that might possibly host a childbirthing class... I know my doulas have a childbirth class that is open to anyone that wants to sign up, regardless of if they are having the doulas attend the birth....that way you don't have to go to a private instructor and it should be much less costly...
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • It really depends on the kind of person you are IMO. I did a lot of reading and mental preparation during my first pregnancy and went through natural. Thats not saying thats how everyone operates. Of course there are going to be techniques that are easier to learn from a class than from a book. Are you a "go with the flow" kind of person or a "need a plan" kind of person? I had it in my head that my body was made to do this and found it easy to give into labor and just ride it. (Even through my induction.)

I think theres a huge benefit to be had from taking a class. If you can afford it and have the time for it- go for it. But dont think that you cant have a natural birth if you havent taken the class. Smile

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's a very good idea for first time parents to take a childbirth class (not a hospital policy class Big Smile). Skip the hospital class.  As important as it is for you, your DH also needs it.  The reading won't benefit you as much if DH isn't learning too.

Have you looked into Bradley classes? They're worth it (DH and I did it and it was IMMENSELY helpful for DH since I was the one doing all the birth reading in my spare time (similar to what you are reading). 

• We skipped the hospital classes ... but are taking a crash course 5 hour session with a Birthing Within coach. I think it will be helpful for both of us to take this class together and prepare for the natural med-free path that's hopefully ahead of us!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think taking the childbirth class just reinforces what you're reading and any reinforcement, IMO, is helpful. I read Ina May's book and I attended Lamaze and they both helped. DH was an excellent coach and that's part of why it was so helpful. However, there are TONS of people who probably did without a class, so that's certainly possible, as well.
  • I thought the three birth classes dh and I took were helpful, but it was nice to be able to ask the instructor questions about labor/birth and the particular hospital we were going to.  I don't know if it's necessary to spend a lot of money on a private session if you are doing so much research on your own though - that's just me. I think as long as you go into labor/birth with some educated knowledge it doesn't really matter where the information came from (i.e. book or instructor).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took the one-day hospital childbirth class (which emphasized natural birth and/or minimal interventions).  That was all I could do because I was working full time and in taking two classes in graduate school.  I had a med-free birth.

If we ever have another biological child I might think about taking a class if I have time.  I found during labor that I needed a few additional strategies to deal with the contractions...I would try something and it would work for one or two contractions, and then it would stop being effective.  I think if I had had a few more strategies in my pocket, it might have made things a little easier for me.  But, I have no regrets about not taking a class.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Go to your local library and see if they have the laugh and learn series.  They have three different dvd's covering child birth, breastfeeding and infant care.  Or netflixs has 2 of them too!

HTH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I went to ONE... thought it was a waste of time. but to each their own.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've also been reading a lot in prep. for this baby, but am also glad I took a birth class. It was nice to meet other first time parents due around the same time - we will def. be staying in contact with a few of them. Also I found it clarified a lot of questions I had, because no matter how much you read, it's hard to feel 100% confident about all the little details.

However, if it is difficult for you to find time to do it because of work, maybe you should look into the possibility of a weekend intensive course? Also if it just doesn't happen, I'm sure you'll do great anyway - we were made for giving birth!

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"