Just thought I'd share a project that we're going to be doing. Every day for the month of March, I'm trying to kickstart my DD's creativity and interest in art projects (she's been a little reluctant lately) by doing a different project every day. Most of them are new activities, but a few we've done before. I'm really trying to build some anticipation for this month including making a fun banner with origami balloons that have each day's activity inside, so she can open it each day. I tried to make the projects as open-ended as possible, use materials in new ways and appeal to her very girly nature (plus lots of rainbows in honor of St. Patrick's Day and what is hopefully our rainy season here in AZ). We'll see how this goes ...
1. Homemade puffy paint - 1 T self-rising flour, 1 T salt, 4 tsp salt, food coloring. After done painting, microwave for 30 seconds.
2. Hole in the middle art - Cut hole in paper before giving it to child.
3. Newspaper sculpture - Roll sheets of newspaper into tubes. Give to child along with tape.
4. Crayon etching - Cover paper with colorful crayons, then top with black crayon/paint. Etch with paperclip.
5. Sponge chalk prints - Dampen sponges. Draw on them with chalk. Make prints.
6. Salt painting - 2 T liquid starch, 2 T water, 1 T paint (or 2 squirts food coloring), 1/2 cup salt
7. Goop - 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup water combined on cookie sheet
8. Mardi Gras mask
9. Foil sculpture
10. Bubble prints - 1/4 cup dishsoap into container. Add paint until bright. Blow with straw. Capture bubbles on paper.
11. Branch weaving - Weave yarn around branch
12. Plain boxes - Give child a collection of paper-covered boxes to decorate/build.
13. Marshmallow sculpture - Mini marshmallows and toothpicks
14. Rainbow jello
15. Iridescent ice - Fill bowl with ice, add salt, drip on neon food coloring
16. Plant herb container garden
17. Potato prints
18. Dye white flowers
19. Sidewalk chalk
20. Rainbow crayons
21. Dino dig - Store bought kit
22. Umbrellas - Rubber cement resist on watercolor paper
23. How to draw a caterpillar - Vertical lines, connected on top and bottom
24. Cornstarch dough or soda cornstarch dough - MaryAnn Kohl's recipe
25. Dough day 2 - Paint creations
26. Collage from things child cut out or found
27. Fingerpaint using offset spatulas
28. Do-a-Dot stampers
29. Rainbow pancakes
30. Bring sketchpad to zoo
31. Easter wreath