High-Risk Pregnancy

Question about GD

I am new here and was just recently diagnosed with GD.  I haven't been to the class yet and I haven't met with the nutritionist yet, but I was wondering.....for those of you who are GD, when do you check your sugar? When the office called, they said, check my sugar 4X per day, and the class would instruct me further. The class is Thursday but till then what do I do?  Before meals and bed, after?  Any info will help...TIA!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about GD

• If I were you, I'd keep a detailed food diary between now and your appointment.  Keep an eye on the carb counts in the foods you're eating.

A typical GD diet is:

Breakfast - 30g Carbs

Snack 15-30g 

Lunch - 45-60g 

Snack - 15-30g

Dinner - 45-60g

Snack - 15-30g 

Your diet may vary.  Just get a feel for what you're currently eating and see how it compares to what your potential diet will be.  

Did they give you a meter already?  I wouldn't test yet unless they told you to, but if you really want to:

When you first wake

2 hours after first bite of breakfast

2 hours after first bite of lunch

2 hours after first bite of dinner

Again, what your doctor says may vary, but for a general idea, you're looking for readings below 120 after meals and below 90 when waking.  Some are stricter, wanting you to be below 120 1 hour after meals. 

Good luck!

• My ranges are similar to the post above except for lunch and dinner I have 30-45g.  Also, I have to test 1 hr after I finish my meal and am expected to have less than 120.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Big Smile Thank you both
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSuzy12345:

If I were you, I'd keep a detailed food diary between now and your appointment.  Keep an eye on the carb counts in the foods you're eating.

A typical GD diet is:

Breakfast - 30g Carbs

Snack 15-30g 

Lunch - 45-60g 

Snack - 15-30g

Dinner - 45-60g

Snack - 15-30g 

Your diet may vary.  Just get a feel for what you're currently eating and see how it compares to what your potential diet will be.  

Did they give you a meter already?  I wouldn't test yet unless they told you to, but if you really want to:

When you first wake

2 hours after first bite of breakfast

2 hours after first bite of lunch

2 hours after first bite of dinner

Again, what your doctor says may vary, but for a general idea, you're looking for readings below 120 after meals and below 90 when waking.  Some are stricter, wanting you to be below 120 1 hour after meals. 

Good luck!

This is basically what I have to do except my numbers have to be between 60-89 for my fasting/out of bed and from 90-129 one hour after the first bite of each meal. The carb count is right on for what I've had to follow with each of my pregnancies. I actually do two snacks between lunch & dinner since we eat a bit later due to my husband's work schedule. I had to use insulin at bedtime last time but I've been able to control my numbers this time with the diet & walking alone. I walk for 15-20 mins after each meal to help bring my blood sugar down. Make sure you are eating protein of some sort (eggs, peanut butter, cheese, nuts, meat) along with each meal or snack. That will also help to balance out the effects of the carbs on your blood sugar.

Good luck! It really isn't as bad as it sounds.

Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • My diet was more restricted than PP. I had:

15 g carbs at breakfast

15 AM snack

30 lunch

15 afternoon snack

30 dinner

15 PM snack

I had to test when I woke up and that number needed to be under 90.

I also had to test 1 hr after taking my first bite of food at breakfast, lunch and dinner. That number needed to be under 140. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"