High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Kidney Dialation in 18w U/S

Hello Ladies,

We had out 18w ultrasound yesterday and everything looks great (whew)... but the doctor said there was a dialation in one of her kidney's. I was wondering if anyone else was going through this/has gone through this senerio. There is a 50% chance it could resolve on its own but I want to try to remain positive but realistic.

Thanks! Hope everyone has a great day!

Re: Kidney Dialation in 18w U/S

• Options

DS has had one since the 20 week ultrasound.  They checked it again at 28, and it is still there, but they aren't concerned.  Once he is born, the pedi will do another ultrasound around 6 weeks old.  Several of my friends have had children with them; most resolved on their own.  One has a toddler with one kidney that is still dilated, but it doesn't affect her at all.

I am sure there are varying degrees, but from what I can tell, there isn't much to worry about.   

Hope that helps! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks mrsdjm07... that does help. I just feel so helpless and with it being so early I don't have much information to go on. I appreciate your response... it helps to ease my mind.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

::Lurker butting in::

I was just diagnosed with kidney reflux and duplex ureter (two ureters coming out of my right kidney). Both of those diagnoses are usually found by kidney dilation/extra fluid on the kidneys during ultraounds or shortly after birth due to the baby having a UTI. Ditto what PP said that there are varying degrees of this that range from resolving on their own to requiring (minor, outpatient) surgery. Genitourinary defects are the most common set of defects that are found during pregnancy and the vast majority don't need anything further than a little extra careful observation.

Try not to worry and don't Google, lol. I can try to help answer any questions if you have them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"