Secondary IF

HSG scheduled what should I expect?

I had my first SIF consultation today and we scheduled an US, HSG and bloodwork. Is the HSG uncomfortable?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HSG scheduled what should I expect?

• It's not too bad.  They told me to take advil ahead of time.  You might have light cramping.
  • Each person's has a different experience, but mine was not a big deal.  We had a lot of trouble getting the speculum in but after that it was a breeze. 

I had a bit of cramping later but the next day I was totally fine.  Good luck!  

DS: Born November 2011
    TTC #2 since April '13
    DH 35, Me: 34
    DX: Unexplained Secondary Infertility, Slight DOR
    Sept 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel) = BFN
    Oct 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel + Progesterone) = BFN
    Nov 14- Benched due to cysts Looking for New Doc
    Feb - IUI #3 (Letrozole + Ovridrel)
    March/April - IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - Follistim+HGH+Low Dose HCG - 11R/9M/5F - 2 8 cell 3dtransfer - BFN on April 23, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • I was a nervous wreck after googling it but it really wasn't bad at all. Like a pap smear with maybe a tiny bit of cramping. That's it! Good luck.
  • The HSG is uncomfortabe, but it is for such a short time that it is manageable.  The anticipation is definitely worse than the test itself.  Hope all comes back clear!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • I had a very painful one (3 years ago) and an easy-breezy one (in December).

I think much of the difference is in the skill and bedside manner of the one doing the procedure.  The one 3 years ago was rated a top RE doc in our city by a local magazine, but she was rough, was irritated when I mentioned to her that my cervix was anterior and historically difficult for practitioners to find (based on 20 years of annual exams), and then it took her 3 separate tries with a speculum to find my cervix and she spent the rest of the time beotching about how my cervix was hard to find and it was my fault (yes, those words) that it hurt so much because my cervix location was, "ridiculous."  Then was annoyed, seriously, that my cervix wasn't open at all (I'd never had a kid) and so she intentionally nicked my cervix with a scalpel to trick it into opening.  And, then, dressed down the nurse who was holding my hands and keeping eye contact with me so I could keep it held together, saying, "she doesn't need to be babied." Wonder who'd peed in her cornflakes that morning. I'm pretty sure you won't have her, so you are safe.

Anyway, my point is (or should have been), my RE office told me I could take *4 Alleve* this time and it was was a piece of cake, uncomfortable for just a few minutes, but nothing I couldn't stand.

• Mine was quite uncomfortable, but I have heard from many other women they weren't a big deal.  I have heard from others - who had issues discovered with the HSG, that it was awful.

Here's how it works - you lay on the xray table and the doc inserts a speculum.  They will spend a minute or so cleaning and prepping.  They insert the tube with the dye, and that is when you will likely feel cramping.  Mine felt like a very crampy period.  At mine, he had me scooch myself backwards on the table with the speculum hanging out of me to get under the xray machine.  It was weird!  But the procedure was over quickly and there were just mild cramps after that.

Take 600mg Ibuprofen about an hour before the HSG.  If you are really nervous, and have someone to drive you, ask your doctor for a Xanax to help you relax.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My HSG was uncomfortable, but not for long.  I think it hurt because both my tubes had minor dialation/blockage.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
    TTC #2 since Nov '07
    Tried 4 cycles of Clomid, TI, Gonal-f, and IUI's - all BFFN's
    Both tubes removed Nov '09
    Low AMH = 0.3
    IVF #1 for Feb '10 - cancelled due to poor response - Gonal-f and Repronex
    IVF #1.2 for June '10 - Gonal-f, Menopur, and micro Lupron
    ER - 6/19 (2 retrieved), ET - 6/22 (1 transferred with ICSI), Beta 7/5 = BFFN
    IVF #2 for Nov '10 was cancelled due to poor response - Follistim, Repronex, and micro Lupron
    IVF #2.2 for Feb '11 - Gonal-f, Repronex, and Ganirelix
    ER - 2/24 (8 retrieved), ET - 3/1 (2 transferred with ICSI), froze 3, Beta 3/11 = BFFN
    FET - 4/19 (3 transferred), Beta 4/28 = BFP, EDD 1/4/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"