Preemies

36 weekers- should I expect delays?

Hi all-

My baby boy was born at 36weeks, 3 days over 6 weeks ago.  After a week in the NICU for jaundice and feeding issues he was brought home healthy.  But, now at 6 weeks, I still feel like he isn't recognizing me yet.  There have been no smiles, which I am desperate for so I can feel some connection!  But, he's also doing great with neck control and even has rolled over on the play mat 3 or 4 times.  I haven't gotten a good answer from my Ped on if I should expect any delays.  Does anyone here have any experience with this or any idea of delays with slight preemies?   Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 36 weekers- should I expect delays?

• It's hard to say. DD was born at 34w5d and has done very well, but is always a little bit behind in gross motor.
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO was born at 34 weeks and he gave me this huge smile 2 days ago when I got home from work, it was the best, he was just waking up to eat, and I was changing his diaper, he stretched looked at me, and gave me this beautiful smile, as if he was happy to see me.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • my dude was born at 36 weeks and he's been 100% normal and on track both cognitively and physically... in fact he's jumped well ahead than most other toddlers I know. So try not to worry and remember that even though there are developmental guidelines each kid is totally different, they'll go at their own pace, but I wouldn't be worry about it yet.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • I try to give LO the benefit of the doubt and use her adjusted age for milestones. I mean, why should she be expected to roll/smile/etc when she isn't supposed to be old enough yet?

That being said, my LO was an early smiler but seems to hit most physical milestones closer to her adjusted age. I wouldn't worry unless LO is having trouble meeting milestones by their adjusted age.

• DS was born at 36wks.  He has been on track or ahead for everything so far.  He is smaller for his age though.  but not by much

PRAYERS FOR MASON Image and video hosting by TinyPic Big brother & Little brother Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My little one was born at 35w5d, but she was small due to IUGR.  Cognitively she has been on the mark, didn't need to adjust her age.  Her fine motor skills are within the range of normal, just not early.  Her gross motor skills have been an issue.  She was in PT at 4 months of age until 1 for torticollis and positional plagiocephaly.  At 18 months I noticed she wasn't keeping up with her daycare classmates and was evaulated by a developmental pediatrician at 22 months (took that long to get an appt) and began PT and OT just after her 2nd birthday.  At 2.5 years of age, she is doing great!  You would never know by looking at her or talking to her that she came early and only weighed 4 pounds at birth.

I know it is hard, but try to remember that each baby/kid is different and will do things at different rates.  Just try to enjoy each one as it happens :)

Photobucket Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"