Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Drink 'til it's pink (long)

*Sorry for the wonky formating* 

I know that is the mantra of most of the ladies on this board but my doc told me to stop drinking when I started TTC. She didn't really explain why so I've been wondering about the "drink 'til it's pink" theory often seen here. I went looking for some sources and here's what I found:

This article is a good summary of why you may want to abstain from alcohol while TTC: https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1489062/drinking_alcohol_while_trying_to_get.html?cat=52

It cites the U.S. Surgeon General's Advisory which can be found here: https://www.surgeongeneral.gov/pressreleases/sg02222005.html

And the March of Dimes recommendation which is here: https://www.marchofdimes.com/Pregnancy/alcohol_indepth.html 

Some highlights if you don't want to click the links:

No amount of alcohol consumption can be considered safe during pregnancy. Alcohol can damage a fetus at any stage of pregnancy. Damage can occur in the earliest weeks of pregnancy, even before a woman knows that she is pregnant.  

"If a pregnant woman has one or two drinks before she realizes she is pregnant, can it harm the baby?
It is unlikely that the occasional drink a woman takes before she realizes she is pregnant will harm her baby. The baby?s brain and other organs begin developing around the third week of pregnancy, however, and are vulnerable to damage in these early weeks. Because no amount of alcohol has been proven safe during pregnancy, a woman should stop drinking immediately if she even suspects she could be pregnant, and she should not drink alcohol if she is trying to become pregnant."

I'm not trying to preach to anyone, I just wanted to pass this information along since the question seems to come up a lot on the board.

Re: Drink 'til it's pink (long)

• Options

My Doctor also told me the same thing so I gave up drinking January 1st 2010 for the sake of my future child. My Doctor also didn't give a reason but I just blindly followed his advice. Thank you for posting the article - very informative. I have fallen off the wagon as of February 2011 and now I drink a glass of wine or a beer on day two and three of my period and then I am dry until the next month. Makes the BFN not so horrible ... at least for two days!  

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options

TTC and pregnancy are tough enough without the fear mongering thank you very much.  

As for your info- All of the links you have posted are warnings that are not actually based on recent studies.  Most of the recent studies that have been done (not in the US of course- shocker, right?) show that light-moderate drinking during pregnancy does not have any affect on the fetus. 

Here is one article (there are many more): 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101015113512.htm

"Scientific data continue to indicate that higher intake of alcohol during pregnancy adversely affects the fetus, and could lead to very severe developmental or other problems in the child. However, most recent publications show little or no effects of occasional or light drinking by the mother during pregnancy. The studies also demonstrate how socio-economic, education, and other lifestyle factors of the mother may have large effects on the health of the fetus and child; these must be considered when evaluating the potential effects of alcohol during pregnancy."

It is much easier for your Dr./ Surgeon General/ March of Dimes to just tell people to abstain than to try and explain drinking in moderation- which is different for each person.   

The fact is that you do not share nutrients with the fetus until 6 weeks and anyone who is TTC (at least on this board) would know well before then that they are pregnant.   Even if light drinking was unsafe during pregnancy, it would not be unsafe until after 6 weeks. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's a decision between you and your doctor and your partner. Since most women on this board chart their cycles so carefully, most know if they are pregnant sometime in the third week. You're not providing direct nourishment at that point - yes, cells are multiplying and things are happening, but your intake of food and liquids is not feeding your baby, or almost-embryo. I personally think, especially if trying to get pregnant is a longer process than you originally hope for, quitting drinking is kind of extreme, but if it gives you peace of mind, then that's terrific. I will say that I do think attitudes toward drinking in the United States versus Europe are starkly different, and I'd be interested to know if we're really better off for them. Frankly, it all seems a little neurotic to me. If you're not drinking while TTGP, then you better lay off the sushi, the deli meats, the stinky cheeses, and adhere to all the other restrictions that come along with pregnancy. For me, pretending to be pregnant when I was not pregnant sounds like more torture than I was willing to sign up for. And for the record, I enjoyed my wine up until the day before my BFP, and I won't touch it again until after my baby is born.

Also, I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish by this post, but I somehow doubt it is going to receive an enthusiastic round of applause. 

Edit to add: My doctor told me, after my chemical pregnancy, to enjoy my holidays, have some adult beverages and relax. Her practice is one of the most highly rated in my city. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I definitely was not trying to fear-monger or looking for a round of applause. I have seen the question come up often on the board and the usual reply is a chorus of "drink 'til it's pink! you don't share blood with the fetus until 6 weeks." but no one has ever cited any sources for that stance. So I went looking for myself and thought I'd share the info I found with other people that would be interested. I really appreciate the link to the Science Daily article about the newer research.
  • Options
    imagealison2379:

It's a decision between you and your doctor and your partner. Since most women on this board chart their cycles so carefully, most know if they are pregnant sometime in the third week. You're not providing direct nourishment at that point - yes, cells are multiplying and things are happening, but your intake of food and liquids is not feeding your baby, or almost-embryo. I personally think, especially if trying to get pregnant is a longer process than you originally hope for, quitting drinking is kind of extreme, but if it gives you peace of mind, then that's terrific. I will say that I do think attitudes toward drinking in the United States versus Europe are starkly different, and I'd be interested to know if we're really better off for them. Frankly, it all seems a little neurotic to me. If you're not drinking while TTGP, then you better lay off the sushi, the deli meats, the stinky cheeses, and adhere to all the other restrictions that come along with pregnancy. For me, pretending to be pregnant when I was not pregnant sounds like more torture than I was willing to sign up for. And for the record, I enjoyed my wine up until the day before my BFP, and I won't touch it again until after my baby is born.

Also, I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish by this post, but I somehow doubt it is going to receive an enthusiastic round of applause. 

Edit to add: My doctor told me, after my chemical pregnancy, to enjoy my holidays, have some adult beverages and relax. Her practice is one of the most highly rated in my city. 

YesMy doctor told me to have some wine when I want and my DH (a Dr.) frequently reminds me of the number of babies in the world born the 2nd week of October (and therefore conceived on NYE) or 9 months after cinco de mayo, or mardi gras or st. Patrick's day...

Keep growing preemie ballerina! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    imagepinksweetpea2:

TTC and pregnancy are tough enough without the fear mongering thank you very much.  

Yes

• Options
    My RE has told me more than once that having a few drinks during the 2ww is fine and that having the occasional drink DURING pregnancy is not a big deal. Not saying I would drink once/if I'm pregnant, but I wouldn't condemn a lady for having A drink on her birthday or on NYE just b/c she's pregnant.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"