Pregnant after 35
Options

gastric bypass?

It seems I have seen a couple of posts here from some of you who have had gastric bypass?  Me too!  I had a Roux-n-y 8 years ago and am currently pregnant with baby #2.  I found out with my DD at 20 weeks I was severly B12 deficient and had to start the IM injections monthly.  This time around my Vitamin D is extremely low too, not sure if it is related to the bypass or if it is the fact I live in Seattle and haven't seen the sun in months!

I, too, struggle with the weight gain during pregnancy.  I couldn't look at the scale during my monthly visits and I have no idea how much I gained with DD - I can only estimate about #25.  I also asked the nurses not to tell me how much I gained either.  It is bad enough that I am on the scale daily when not pregnant!

Hopefully the rest of you gastric bypass ladies are having good pregnancies so far!  I had a hard time breastfeeding DD (had very low supply) and the LC told me it was because of my gastric bypass.  I have done a TON of research since and have found that women with gastric bypass can BF successfully so hopefully it will work with baby #2!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: gastric bypass?

• Options

As I posted before - I had my RNY about 11 years ago.  But I had a "minor" one -- I did a year's worth of research and collaborated with my surgeon and have a bigger than "normal" pouch as well as only 24" of intestines bypassed.  I have my blood checked every year and all my levels are amazing.  I take zero supplements or vitamins, I get all my nutrients from food. 

So far all my levels during this pregnancy are right on track (even Vit. D in Seattle too!). 

I also had a tummy tuck 10 years ago - after losing 130 pounds I NEEDED one!  I get more comments from my OB about that than the gastric bypass.  "it's going to be ruined" she tells me.  And unless my post baby belly hangs down onto my thighs, it will NEVER be as bad as pre-tummy tuck.  And baby is heading north a lot faster with tight tummy muscles - which makes breathing a little harder but not horrible. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had it 1/2001. I got pregnant in 6/02 and had a normal, healthy pregnancy and baby. I did not have any issues BFing at all.

I didn't have any of the problems that a lot of people have post GP surgery. The only problem I have ever had was with sugar, and I can tolerate very small amounts. I am at the point now that I can eat "normal" portions of food. Normal, not huge. 

I get B12 shots and other than that I just take a multi vit (prenatal now) every day. I did have one bout with severe anemia about 4 years ago. I had to get iron infusions through an IV every week. That lasted about 2 months and I've been fine ever since.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm 6 years post RnY, and i can still only eat about 6-8 ounces in a sitting.

I am vitamin D deficient with this pregnancy, was also magnesium deficient and anemic as of my visit with the OB yesterday. I'm doing chewable prenatals for maximum absorption but this baby seems to want more vitamins than I have!

I lost 110 lbs after my bypass but gained 75 of it back a year and a half later. Turns out PCOS is to blame. I was put on Thyroid hormone due to low levels and Metformin for insulin resistance and lost 70 lbs last year. I was getting ready to schedule my tummy tuck when I got pregnant in August.

surprise?

The weight gain from hormones is making me sick to my stomach, I'm back up 53lbs. I'm sure it will come back off after I deliver. I hadn't read anything about problems with breastfeeding, but I have heard that the hormones produced while breast feeding may also prevent me from losing my weight again.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Glad to hear I'm not alone!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"