Uterine fibroids & treatment questions — The Bump
Trying to Get Pregnant

Uterine fibroids & treatment questions

Hey y'all, I know I don't post that often (I confess, I'm a lurker) but I had a question I thought some of you ladies might be able to help with:

I have endo, and a while back (a few months after getting of BC & starting the TTC process) I noticed my endo pains/symptoms seemed to be worse than normal. I mentioned it to my Dr, who had a pelvic ultrasound done. Yesterday I found out the results - I have several uterine fibroids (basically, non-cancerous tumors) growing around/on my uterus. The nurse who gave me the results over the phone set up an appointment Monday for me to talk with an OBGYN more about treatment options and where to go from here in the TTC process.

My questions: Has anyone here had uterine fibroids, and if so, what treatment options, if any, did you go with? How did that treatment affect the TTC process? (There's a lot of info out there on WebMD/Mayo Clinic website, but reading it was only freaking me out, so I wanted to get some input from someone who had possibly already been down this road.)

Other (possibly relevant) info: Have read & own a copy of TCOYF. Currently taking a break from charting but still using OPK's. I'm currently waiting for AF to show up any day now so I can move on to cycle #9 TTC. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
After 2 years of TTC#1, 2 losses, & a lot of prayers, we're hoping this is it!
BabyFruit Ticker
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Uterine fibroids & treatment questions

• Hey there :) I'm sorry about the fibroids. I had two large fibroids (as well as polyps and endo) removed laparoscopically. You can read about my experience here. Depending on where and how big yours are, they may not remove them at all. They may remove them hysteroscopically (through the vagina), laparoscopically (through a tiny incision), or abdominally (a cut like a C-section).

I was to take a few months off of TTC. 

You're smart to stay away from WebMD, Mayo, and the Googles! All I could find there were stories about hysterectomies.

• image sulfababy:

Hey there :) I'm sorry about the fibroids. I had two large fibroids (as well as polyps and endo) removed laparoscopically. You can read about my experience here. Depending on where and how big yours are, they may not remove them at all. They may remove them hysteroscopically (through the vagina), laparoscopically (through a tiny incision), or abdominally (a cut like a C-section).

I was to take a few months off of TTC. 

You're smart to stay away from WebMD, Mayo, and the Googles! All I could find there were stories about hysterectomies.

OMG exactly (about WebMD)!!!! I'm only 25, so that seriously freaked me out.

Thanks for pointing me towards your blog :) I've actually checked it out before & have really felt encouraged by your honestly and sense of humor.  

When I asked the nurse on the phone, she mentioned hormone therapy (??) or a surgical option, since the location of the fibroids seems to be affecting my TTC chances. She didn't go into much detail though - just said that the Dr will go over it all with me at my apt.  

Thank you! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    After 2 years of TTC#1, 2 losses, & a lot of prayers, we're hoping this is it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I believe the hormone therapy would likely involve Lupron, which, from what I've heard, is not fun at all (I had a fibroid removed in my lap in December). As Sulfa said, they can sometimes treat them with a hysterscopy. GL at your appointment!
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards