Pregnant after 35

If I have to read one more post about...

how little CidyLou is 30wks and has ONLY GAINED 10 LBS and when is her bump going to start showing I'm going waddle my celluite ass over to the window and throw my laptop out!  Really??? You poor young skinny thing you. My heart goes out to you that you haven't had to buy any full panel maternity pants and ungly comfy underware yet. You have it so hard!

I know it's not nice of me, this place is about sharing your experience and all that. And I am sure I will get flamed for this. But damn! Stop making me feel bad that at 26 weeks I have gained 23lbs!Stick out tongue    ahhh, that feels better! LOL

Re: If I have to read one more post about...

• If it makes you feel any better, I'm 27 weeks tomorrow and gained 53.

I lost 70 lbs before I got pregnant and I know that pregnancy hormones have a lot to do with it (I gained over 35 lbs when I was taking birth control pills). So even though I'm not over eating I'm putting on weight like a freight train and I want to cry.

I am 6 years post gastric bypass FFS, so it can't possibly be my eating habits. But DAMN IT I want this baby out and my body back to normal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I think being over 35 and pregnant has a lot to do with it too. I was having a hard time losing weight before I got pregnant. Things just wouldn't budge! I guess I am concerned that all this weight will be super hard to shed. Plus, turning 38 tomorrow isn't help my attitude any. sorry for the nasty jealous rant!

• Loading the player...
  • We don't flame over here. Everyone is free to vent w/o the fear of that. 

I agree, being over 35 doesn't help with weightloss.  I hear the opposite from people about how small my stomach looks.  It use to bother me as if they were saying I wasn't doing something right, and then I had to make my own comebacks to them which has really helped.

• *whispering .. I lost the 4lbs I gained at the beginning of my 2nd trimester*

However, I was already pleasingly plump & was advised to watch my weight gain & keep it in the 15-20 lb range.  I'm still (barely some days) in my regular size clothes & jeans, but the baby bump is in full effect at 19 wks!

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • *sigh*  such a tough topic.  I'm a food addict.  I WAS in recovery.  Now I'm pregnant.  And feel like all hope is lost.  And I have m/s 24 hours a day that requires that I eat every hour on the hour.  Something at least.  And I've fallen back into unhealthy foods.  It's emotionally draining.

I TRY not to get on the scale.  I lost 50 pounds before getting pregnant.  (I'm also post gastric bypass - although mine was nearly 11 years ago and I had a "minor" RNY so I can still eat relatively "normal").  I dread weighing in at the doctors.  I dread watching the scale go up.  I try and realize that it's HEALTHY to gain weight during pregnancy.  but the brain - it has different ideas. 

As for other people's Bragplaining about their weightloss/gain/small bump/whatever - I try and ignore it.  Every single person is different.  Even me.  ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think your 23lbs is completely normal!  I gained 34 w/ my 1st pregnancy and was surprised how easy (well it took most of a year) it was to lose it.  I'm up 31lbs now with 4 weeks to go.  I'm hoping I can drop the weight by the time #2 turns 1 as well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like Pearly said, vent away.  I've gained about 21 pounds and am also 26 weeks.  To me it sounds like you're right on track!

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• This is hilarious!  Who is this cindylou?  Is she on the 35 and over board? I normally lurk, but this post was too funny to pass up.  Hell, I am only 7.5 weeks and I feel like I have already gained 10 pounds.. sounds like you are doing just fine!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • aww...don't even worry. :)

For my first pregnancy, I refused to look at the scale. I didn't want to know how much I was gaining, or else I would become obsessed one way or another. I think I'm going to do the same this time around. 

• imagejeannkerricotober09:
    This is hilarious!  Who is this cindylou?  Is she on the 35 and over board? I normally lurk, but this post was too funny to pass up.  Hell, I am only 7.5 weeks and I feel like I have already gained 10 pounds.. sounds like you are doing just fine!

I just made up the name as to not offend anyoneWink I posted on the over 35 board and not the 2nd tri because, well, I don't know why, just figured the more mature among us would get that it was a little tongue in cheek and only half serious.

• LMAO!!!! Hysterical!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers/Users/udeozo/Desktop/MS30.jpg
  • Everyone is different!  Kathi's here someplace, she works hard to keep fit but she's a marathon runner.  She's tiny, but works for it, I respect that.  On the other hand, she doesn't complain about being bumpless, either.  :)

I don't know how much I have gained, it sure feels like a lot.  I'm more worried about keeping reasonably active, eating well, and doing my kegels than what I look like.  That said, I avoid cameras like plague.  ><

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagekimb311:
    imagejeannkerricotober09:
    This is hilarious!  Who is this cindylou?  Is she on the 35 and over board? I normally lurk, but this post was too funny to pass up.  Hell, I am only 7.5 weeks and I feel like I have already gained 10 pounds.. sounds like you are doing just fine!

I just made up the name as to not offend anyoneWink I posted on the over 35 board and not the 2nd tri because, well, I don't know why, just figured the more mature among us would get that it was a little tongue in cheek and only half serious.

I am a lurker too for the most part.  And I agree with your vent.  Everyone is different being over 35 can also make a HUGE difference in weight gain.  I have gained more than I would like for sure, but it is all for a good cause.  And it while it may take us "oldies" a bit longer to get it off, it is all for the greater good.  So eat away ladies and enjoy it!  And know that weight gain is a good thing (in moderation of course, like anything).  It is SO hard at times, but remember, everyone is different.  Best of luck to all of us "oldies".  :)  I am 37 and my first is due in 36 days!  WooHoo! 

• pregnant the first time at 23 gained 65lbs! Second at 35 learned my lesson and only 12lbs. Depends on where you start under or over weight too I would think.  Your making a person! Dont feel bad:-)  this time at 40 I am only 6 weeks and feel my pants tightening already! ugh
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Nope, no flaming here.....prolly because we are of "advance maternal age"!  LOL 

Im only 13 wks & I refuse to get on the scale, I was in the process of loosing when I got pregnant, im still going to the gym to swim & walk.  But not as much as I could/should.  My doc said not to gain to much do to my weight, yeah we will see how that works!  LOL 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Crazy thing is, I'm actually looking *forward* to putting on some weight. I am thin as a rail and tall, my doc is always eyeing me for any chance I'm low on iron, and....bleah. Yeah. Want some weight.
  • This is exactly why I stay away from the tri boards...drives me crazy!!!

I have gained about 30  Embarrassed  but I keep telling myself that there are 2 in there...and I figure after what I went through to get these boys I can eat what I want and if I gain more than what the Dr wants it won't matter as long as my boys are big and healthy!!

• imageBlueEyedWitch09:

Nope, no flaming here.....prolly because we are of "advance maternal age"!  LOL 

Im only 13 wks & I refuse to get on the scale, I was in the process of loosing when I got pregnant, im still going to the gym to swim & walk.  But not as much as I could/should.  My doc said not to gain to much do to my weight, yeah we will see how that works!  LOL 

Oh man! If I have to hear that phrase one more time at a dr appt! Big Smile

• imagekimb311:
    imageBlueEyedWitch09:

Nope, no flaming here.....prolly because we are of "advance maternal age"!  LOL 

Oh man! If I have to hear that phrase one more time at a dr appt! Big Smile

It REALLY bugs me that my OB is YOUNGER then me!  Sad

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePeppernut:

Everyone is different!  Kathi's here someplace, she works hard to keep fit but she's a marathon runner.  She's tiny, but works for it, I respect that.  On the other hand, she doesn't complain about being bumpless, either.  :)

Thanks, Amy! That's me. I will be 40 soon but I am a marathon runner and run about 60 miles per week because I love it. With Sarah, I gained just 12 pounds but never complained about not having a bump. I was quite happy with it. Of course I wasn't so happy that I couldn't get pregnant with #2 because I was underweight and had to work hard to gain a little. 

So yes, everybody is different and age can be a factor but so are genetics and activity level.

• I went to see my OB yesterday and she has me freaking out b/c she recommended I only gain 20 lbs (I am 5'6", 130 lbs pre-pg).  I agree about age, once I hit 30, my metabolism seemed to hit a crawl and it got worse at age 35. 

• Poundswise, I haven't gained that much.  Inches is another story.  I should have measured on Day 1, but then again I don't want to know. 

If DH says how big I am already one more time, I will kill him!  He is on a diet and his new weight loss goal is to weigh less than me (at what we estimate my pregnancy heaviest will be assuming a "normal" gain).  I don't think that is possible because he likes cookies too much, but if it happens I may have to divorce him.  (J/K, sorta).

• Ha! I am 23 weeks and have gained 35lbs already! LOL! I am not hard on myself for it for several reasons. I was on bedrest my entire 1st trimester, I quit drinking( I loved my beer! ALOT!) and I quit smoking too! Plus, I struggled with anorexia in the past so I am just going to worry about weight loss after the baby is born. Besides, my DH likes that I have some extra padding now! LOL!
  • Hey ladies

I know gaining weight when we are not pregnant is hard to imagine, but the good thing is, we are  pregnant and we have an excuse to gain it ...some will gain more then others.

my weight before pregnant i was 128pounds, im 14wks today and weighting 136pounds all i can say is this time around , me being pregnant at 43yrs  all i care is to have a healthy son, i will probably weight 160pounds by the time i deliver, but lets remember weight does come off , sometimes quicker for others, Gosh im still hoping the strechmarks i got with my first born 23yrs ago go away.. 

oh and by the way my 1st pregancys i gained 60 pounds, 2nd i gained 42 pounds, 3rd gained 30lbs, 4th will probaly be 45pounds

• imagekimb311:

how little CidyLou is 30wks and has ONLY GAINED 10 LBS and when is her bump going to start showing I'm going waddle my celluite ass over to the window and throw my laptop out!  Really??? You poor young skinny thing you. My heart goes out to you that you haven't had to buy any full panel maternity pants and ungly comfy underware yet. You have it so hard!

I know it's not nice of me, this place is about sharing your experience and all that. And I am sure I will get flamed for this. But damn! Stop making me feel bad that at 26 weeks I have gained 23lbs!Stick out tongue    ahhh, that feels better! LOL

AMEN!  I'm 25 weeks and I've gained 22 LBS...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"