Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Pneumonia.....ugh

So this is my intro into 6-9! Yea....not reallly....so my little LO has pneumonia as of tonight. Went to the doctor yesterday due to pinkeye (2nd case in two weeks) and asked AGAIN for him to evaluate my daughter's URI symptoms (we saw a different doctor in the same practice about a week and half ago...listened to her lungs for a fraction of a second and announced she sounded "perfect")...He thought that he heard wheezing so they finally agreed to do XRAYs and a breathing treatment. The urgent care clinic that we went to doesn't care for a lot of infants (it was the only one open at 6pm other than an emergency room) so he was unsure about reading her xrays so he forwarded them on to a radiologist...He thought himself that they looked clear but when I called today for the offical report it said pneumonia...she's been sick for weeks and we are both so exhausted from the whole experience, but we finally have antibiotics, so i'm praying for her to recovery quickly....she's normally a great eater and happy baby but the past week has been rough on her....I have serveral thoughts on my mind: 1. why is my daughter getting pinkeye for the 2nd time in a month and a half...is the daycare screening/cleaning properly?? 2. Why didn't the doctors trust me enough to know when my child is acting differently?? 3. why didn't didn't I stress the issue more?? I'm so mad at myself for not being more insistant....or doing more....

Has anyone else experienced pneumonia with your LO's??? Any advice?? Thanks for listening and for any advice you can offer....right now we're doing the cool mist humidifier, saline and bulb suction, warm steamy showers....TIA!

Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

Re: Pneumonia.....ugh

• Options

My daugther has been out of daycare for two weeks now due to viral pneumonia.  I went to the doctor three weeks ago, and he said it seemed like a cold.  I picked her up at daycare last Tuesday and they said she had a fever, so I took her to the doctor.  He heard wheezing, sent us to the hospital for xrays, and then told us to come back to him with the disk of  the images so he could see them.  It was pneumonia.  He repeated the xrays on Friday and we went back to him.   She has hardly eaten anything and had lost one pound from Tuesday to the repeat xrays on Friday. 

I would NOT have been happy if my doctor did not take care of all of it himself.  He wanted to see the images and compare the previous xrays to the repeats.  He has us call him every morning to check in with him.  We go back this coming Tuesday for another check up.  I think at that point, she'll be able to go back to daycare. 

Have you thought about looking for another doctor?  I would want someone that would treat my DD himself.  My doctor meets me on Saturdays and Sundays if need be.  He is amazing.   I would expect no less.  In terms of your being mad at yourself for not pushing the issue, I understand, but there was really only so much you oculd do.  Don't we trust our doctors?  If my doctor said something and I was like, "um, no" I would feel like an ass.  I know I shouldn't, but doctors can make mistakes too.  I thought that my dr. was right about the cold, but I brought her back in with the fever because I figured it was something more.  He figured that, yes, it was something more.

As far as the pink eye, I have no idea.  I would blame daycare, but I end up blaming daycare for everything, so what good am I?    PM me at anytime if you need to chat.  Sorry I wrote a novel here!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear that! My LO got pneumonia just before he turned 3 months. We also didn't realized it at first, but that's because he had a stomach bacteria (which everyone kept telling us was just gas, but I kept pushing for a better answer), and when he was hospitalized for the bacteria, they took an x-ray of his chest/abdomen and disovered he'd somehow gotten pneumonia in the previous 24 hours. This led to a 11 day hospital stay as it took a long time to get the phlegm out of his lungs and him breathing without oxygen.

It was no fun, but your LO is a bit older, stronger I would guess and hopefully it should go away. Just keep up with what you're doing, and keep doing that for a while. My LO wasn't completely "cured" until about 2 weeks after getting out of the hospital, after 3 check-ups with the pedi...

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"