Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Question about loveys

DS very quickly and easily took a lovey.  I'm a little torn on how I feel about using one, but it is what it is.  My question is, does the lovey ever hinder your LOs sleep?  I introduced it to help him with sleep, but it seems like it just works him up more often than not.  He rubs his face all in it, tries to nurse on it, throws it over his head, and just plays with it.  He loves it, but when he's trying to go back to sleep it tends to wake him up more, but if he's in my arms, he likes to hug it as he's falling asleep.  I only offer it to him when it's nap time or bed time so he associates it with sleep, but I'm not sure what else to do.  Any suggestions?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Question about loveys

• Options
    ... What's a lovey? Like a comfort object?
  • Options

imagekmeek19:
    ... What's a lovey? Like a comfort object?

Yes. 

BTW you just reminded me of The Giver.

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haha! Strange book. I would think something like a toy or stuffed animal would be a distraction... Unless it is something like a paci that is supposed to soothe, but we weened from that.
  • Options
    My friend's child never had a lovey and instead got into the habit early on of touching her & her DH's face (specifically their eyebrows) to soothe himself and fall asleep. She said it was really cute at first which is why she let him. But it turned into a HUGE PITA as he got older.  He could only fall asleep if rubbing her eyebrow and obviously that just was not possible. She says she wishes she had gotten him onto a lovey early on because you can always take that away as needed (or not...I mean the kid isn't going to take a lovey to college with him).
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Cadey has a lovey. I dont think she is old enough  to sleep with it yet. I would be too afraid she would bury her face in it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageThat.Just.Happened:
    the kid isn't going to take a lovey to college with him).

Umm, I took MY lovey (winnie the pooh bear) to college with me!  And just what is wrong with that?  Of course I was able to fall asleep without it, but it was nice to have.  

I've been introducing a lovey to DD at naps when she is in the swing and I can supervise.  The blanket lovey makes me very nervous...I guess once she's rolling it won't be so bad to leave it with her?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS didn't attach himself to his blankie until after he was a year old, but no, it hasn't ever been a distraction.  I kind of wish it hadn't happened though, because at this point, the only time he sucks his thumb is when he has his blankie.  To break him of the thumb addiction we'll also have to break him of his blankie addiction.  I'm not ready to take both sources of comfort away yet...
  • Options
    DS started getting really attached to a lovey around 10-11 months old. It's one of those with a stuffed animal head and a small blanket as a body. He likes to sleep with it, but doesn't mind parting with it during the day. He leaves it in his crib. I think it's great, and nothing that I have to "break" him of.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"