September 2011 Moms
Options

hard decision about NT scan

I know a lot of people have posted this lately, but I wanted to share a little about my situation.

I am 22 and this is our first pregnancy. I am rather healthy and my mothers side has never had any complications with pregnancy, miscarriage, etc. However, my mother in law has just been freaking me out.

She has 2 living children, but between those two she had two babies not make it. One was terminated at 16 weeks b/c of neurotube defects. The other baby was born at 32 weeks and died a few hours after birth.

Before our first appointment, she had told me that her second child's condition was "genetic" because her grandma, mom, and sister all had children with similar thing happen. I guess I should have asked her more questions about it, but its a very emotional subject.

I told my dr about this at our 7week appt and she said we should consider the NT scan and asked me to ask my MIL more details about the complications with her second child that passed away. My DH talked to her and I guess I was expecting her to say a name of a disorder, and all she told him is the baby had failing kidneys.

My mom told me to not try to worry about too much since she or my grandmother never had anything like this happen, but I know something could go wrong even without family history.

All this being said, my DH and I have been going back and forth on the NT scan. We will probually get it, because I think I would rather know. but its still such a hard decision.

Sorry for this message being so long. I find myself now not really discussing anything about my pregnancy symptoms with my MIL b/c I don't want her to worry or for her to say something to make me worry. I guess she is just caring but in her own way!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: hard decision about NT scan

• Options
    Wow, that sounds like it was a really hard conversation. We're not doing any genetic testing, but if I were in your shoes, I would. It'll ease your mind.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Natural complete miscarriage 3.16.11. Baby was 14 weeks 5 days. Meet you soon, little one.
  • Options
    we aren't doing it, but if i thought there was a chance of any family history of anything, then I 100% would do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It was very hard b/c she really doesnt talk about it much but when my dr's sent forms about family history my DH said I really needed to talk to her about it. I started out asking her on FB chat b/c it was just really awkward but she called me and was cool about it. But she is just one of those people that isnt so easy to talk to.

When my DH mentioned about maybe getting the NT scan, she started saying "well your dad's third cousins child had down syndrome..." thats when I got kind of annoyed that she was just trying to freak me out.

I think we have decided on the NT scan.

I do have a question to those of you that got it done, I called my dr today and the lady that answered the phone didnt know what I was talking about when I said NT scan and asked if I meant the genetic testing and said it only had to do with blood work and not an ultrasound so now im confused!

• Options

The bloodwork is the first step. They look for an elevated chance of any abnormalities. The detailed ultrasound is the next step where they visually look for any downs markers or defects. Both of those are inaccurate though.

An amnio or a CVS test provides certainty. Honestly if I were in your shoes, again, I'd start researching them and seeing if it's something that your family would be interested in.

I'm going to be sending a lot a vibes your way. Hugs! Remember that the unknown is always more frightening then the known. (a perinatologist told me that last time when we were worried about my DD and he was totally right.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Natural complete miscarriage 3.16.11. Baby was 14 weeks 5 days. Meet you soon, little one.
  • Options
    Honestly, the NT scan is a nothing test.  It's an ultrasound and a blood test, both of which you will probably be doing anyways.  It's standard at my drs office and mostly everyone does it.  I think it's helpful to have all the information you can so I wouldn't see why you wouldn't do it.  And it's certainly easier to find out at 12 weeks that there is an issue than to find out at 20 weeks when you have your big ultrasound.  In any case, I would try not to worry about something you can't control.  Your odds of a genetic problem are very low. And I'm sure your MIL is just trying to be helpful.  
  • Options
    Neither DH or I have any genetic conditions in out families. I got the NT with my last preg and have my scan for this one tomorrow. I would just rather know now if something is wrong so we can have time to emotionally prepare. From having a loss myself I don't think your MIL was intentionally trying to scare you. I think she was just trying to make you aware of some things that have happened on her side of the family and maybe give you somethings to look for or ask questions about.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"