Birth Stories
Options

First Child...Quick Delivery/Labor!

I am now pregnant with Baby #2, but my story is about my first Baby and how QUICK my delivery was!

As I am sure all of you would agree, that every child birthing class, doctor visit or website would tell me the same thing--- "First pregnancies are usually LONG labors." So, don't rush to the hospital. I always kept this in mind, but on the flip-side my Mom always told me that she never knew when she was in labor with her 3 pregnancies and her Sister, plus my sister and very quick deliveries.

So, here I am, 3-days after my due-date. I had been dilating consistently for my 4 prior weekly doctor visits. At my last one, 5-days earlier, I was dilated to a 4-5, and 80-90% effaced, my Mid-wife confirmed. I had also lost my mucous plug over the last 4-weeks. It's a Sunday night, (which all day Sunday I had been having pretty consistent braxton hicks contractions, but absolutely no pain! This wasn't that unusual). While I am sleeping, I begin to notice that I am feeling some cramping and contractions at the same time-- it felt like menstrual cramping. I didn't even get out of bed. They were so light and spaced apart that I kept sleeping. But, at 5am, they were getting strong and they couldn't be more than 10min apart. 

At 5:15am (Monday Morning), my husbands alarm went off for work, and he saw me standing there by the bed. I told him that I was having consistent contractions now with pain. He asked me what I wanted to do. I told him I wanted to take a bath to relax and count my contractions, thinking I would count for at least 1-hour, as I was told during birthing classes, before calling my doctor to give her the info. So, at 5:30, I hop in the tub... felt very good by the way! My husband is sitting there with his timer, and starts timing! At the beginning, they were about 7-8min apart, but within 30min, they pain/discomfort had increased dramatically and he looked at me and said, they are only 3-4min apart!

We call my mid-wife right away, who was on-call for deliveries that morning, and I tell her the status. I couldn't even talk during the contractions. I felt a very strong urge to go to the bathroom, which was the baby putting pressure down there. She said, "If you feel more comfortable going to the hospital, then I am going to call them and tell them you are on your way. But, I think you can stay home a little longer and you will probably be more comfortable at home." I didn't want to be "paranoid, pregnant lady" rushing to the hospital, but I told her I felt more comfortable going to the hospital now because the pain was getting very intense and the contractions were very close together. 

6:20am-- we are walking out the door, one hour after I woke up my husband. The hospital is about 15min away-- the entire ride was torture! I couldn't talk, I was just breathing through the most intense contractions that like they were coming every minute. My husband parks right in the front of the hospital entrance, and we walk in the main entrance-- there is no one to be seen anywhere! So, I had to walk down a LONG hallway and go up the elevator 3 floors. I walk out right into labor and delivery, and the nurses ask for my name. They were expecting me, because my mid-wife had called, and could see that I was having very close contractions. Right away they take me to my room and tell me to strip down so they can check me. Lay down, open my legs and the nurse checks my status. I will never forget her words. She looked at me and said, "I'm not sure what your thoughts were on pain meds, but I think you will be having your baby very soon." I asked where I was at and she said, "You're dilated to a 10 and your water broke." I couldn't believe it... my water had broke in the bath and I had no idea! My mid-wife isn't there yet, they are hooking me up to a monitor and I am breathing through my contractions and they are saying, "You're doing great!" Then, the urge comes to push. I told them I need to push and they grab me by the legs and tell me to start pushing! I think my mid-wife walked in during my first push, putting on her gloves. I swear, I only pushed like 6 contractions-- it was super fast. One of the nurses said I pushed less than 9-min and on my hands and knees (cat position) my son was born at 7:09am. Not even 2-hours after I had woken up my husband! I was at the  hospital less than 30min, from parking to delivery.

It was pretty crazy, and very intense, but I had a very healthy baby boy and the nurses couldn't believe that was my first baby. She said, your friends will hate you when they find out how fast you had your baby. And, she suggested next time I schedule an induction, just to be "safe." Wink

So, here I am now 5-weeks from my due date with baby #2. As soon as I feel ANYTHING I am going to the hospital! Big Smile Trust your instincts because I almost had my baby at home! 

Re: First Child...Quick Delivery/Labor!

• Options
    That's awesome! Good luck with #2!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I love it! My entire labor and delivery with my first from first contraction to baby on chest was 2 hours.  I am the same way about getting to the hospital at the first sign of contractions this time around.  

Good luck with your labor and delivery this time around and I hope that things go just as smoothly for you.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

congrats! that sounds ideal to me! best of luck for baby #2 :)

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• Options
    Our stories aren't identical, but they are very similar.  I delivered about an hour after I got to the hospital.  I am due with # 2 in 10 weeks.  I am hoping this will be another quick one.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love your story!  I love that you were able to stay home but your knew when to trust your instincts and go to the hospital.  Good luck with the next LO. 
  • Options
    Yay for fast labors, and good luck with this one!
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Options
    I hope that happens for me!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    omg i can only hope mine is that way. Good luck with this LO.
  • Options

I love your story and would love it if mine went that smoothly!  My goal is a drug-free birth and it's so great to hear that it is do-able.

Why on earth would they tell you to schedule an induction though if your body does such a good job on its own?  I'm a rookie but that sounds weird to me.  I'm just hoping to deliver spontaneously before my baby gets too big so I don't have to have an induction.

Good luck with #2!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thats a great story but why would they want to schedule an induction with baby #2? 
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"