Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

giving LO water

do you give your LO water and if so how much and when? we are giving LO 1/2 ounce after his cereal, which he gets twice a day just to kind of "wash things down". is this too much or too little?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: giving LO water

• Options
    We have just started putting water in a sippie and offering it to her.  She doesn't understand the sippie yet so she isn't really getting any.  I've introduced it though so that she will hopefully have the hang of it in the next few months. 
  • Options

imageLCB34:
    We have just started putting water in a sippie and offering it to her.  She doesn't understand the sippie yet so she isn't really getting any.  I've introduced it though so that she will hopefully have the hang of it in the next few months. 

Can Kate hold her own bottle? Logan will try and he gets the general concept, as in the bottle nipple makes it into his mouth but he doesn't have to co-ordination to line everything up just enough to get anything out, so I figure even trying a sippy is an effort in futility, even thought I'd LIKE to try.

At this point, I'm thinking him holding his own bottle and a sippy cup are never going to happen.

Just curious as to even though she doesn't quite get the sippy if she can work her own bottle herself?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've been giving DS water since he was born. I put 4oz in the bottle and just let him drink what he wants.
  • Options

imageUnderAtree:
    We've been giving DS water since he was born. I put 4oz in the bottle and just let him drink what he wants.

Are you being sarcastic?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagebretsgirl:
    do you give your LO water and if so how much and when? we are giving LO 1/2 ounce after his cereal, which he gets twice a day just to kind of "wash things down". is this too much or too little?

DS's pedi suggested a bit of distilled water for him when he was having a bit of trouble pooping a while back. She suggested putting 2oz in a bottle and offering it to him and letting him take what he wants. But that was only for constipation.

You could just try that; as I'm fairly certain you know, they can get all the hydration they need from formula or breastmilk, so don't be too concerned if he doesn't want the water.

• Options
    imagemonkiem:

imageUnderAtree:

Are you being sarcastic?

Yes, this??  I don't understand why a newborn needs water.  Formula or BM is all that is needed.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    When we went for DD's 4month checkup the pediatrician said we could start giving her water, but to not give her more than 4oz in a day. We give it to her every once in awhile.
  • Options

imagemonkiem:

imageUnderAtree:

Are you being sarcastic?

No. His pedi told us 2 oz twice a day. He usually only drinks an oz, sometimes two but he only gets it in between feedings.

ETA: When he was a newborn I would give him a water bottle because he was constantly spitting up. The pedi said to give him water cause he was dehydrated..little did we know he needed surgery.

• Options
    imageUnderAtree:
    No. His pedi told us 2 oz twice a day. He usually only drinks an oz, sometimes two but he only gets it in between feedings.

ETA: When he was a newborn I would give him a water bottle because he was constantly spitting up. The pedi said to give him water cause he was dehydrated..little did we know he needed surgery.

Oh yuck.  That's shiitty...sorry to hear that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    At his 4 month appt, pedi told us to try to give DS 1-2oz/ day. At his 6 month appt, she said to increase it to 2-4oz/day. She said the fluoride is beneficial as he is teething. I give it to him in a sippee cup and he's slowly starting to understand the concept. I have to tip it back for him though, but the handles help him hold it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"