Pre-School and Daycare

Spongebob party question

My DD has her heart set on a Spongebob party for her 4th birthday.  I cannot stand Spongebob, but we are doing the party with all the Spongebob theme items.

As for the cake.  I think my choices would be, a grocery store cake like this:

Or as an alternative, what if I got a really nice chocolate cake or white cake, decorated with just the purple/yellow "stars" (like on the cake above), and a small spongebob topper?  Basically a little more 'low key' on the Spongebob theme.

Part of my concern is just that I'm not a huge fan of grocery store cakes, and 'my' design would be a little more sophisticated so to speak.. any suggestions?

Re: Spongebob party question

• I am personally not a fan of store bought cakes. I always make my son and husbands cakes. Store bought doesn't ever taste like homemade and I'm not a big fan of frosting period. I'm sure as long as the cake resembles the Sponge Bob theme your DD won't care, she'll be happy to get to eat cake and blow out candles and have a little of her favorite character thrown in there. PS, if you go the chocolate route, try "mayo" cake- it's super good and moist, that's usually what I make!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD wanted a SpongeBob theme for her 2nd b-day.  I am not a huge fan but it's her party, not mine, so she got SpongeBob!  I ended up making my own cake:

View Full Size Image

I used a cake mold from Michael's.  I prefer making my own cakes.. it's way cheaper and they usually taste better too.  If you don't mind making your own, I would go that route but don't be afraid to make it a true SpongeBob cake. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would make my own cake.  I don't really like most store bought cakes, and I think you can make a cool cake that your DD will love without slapping people over the head with the theme.

Plus, if you have ever seen the Cake Wrecks blog, airbrushing can go terribly wrong if your baker is less than proficient at it (and there is A LOT of airbrushing on that particular cake). 

If I were to do it, here is what I would do (keep in mind, I go a tad overboard sometimes).  I would try a 2 tiered, round cake.  I would ice the bottom tier with a bright fun color (like the purple or green in the cake above), and go to a local party supply warehouse/cake decorators' supplier, and pick up some fun pressed sugar decorations (or google it, if you would rather buy online).  I just went to our local store, and they had fun flip-flop candies, stars, tropical flowers, and I think I saw pineapples,too.  Then, on the second tier, I would do blue frosting, and pipe white bubbles (basically circles), onto it.  Then on top I would stick a Sponge Bob toy. 

Like I said, I tend to go overboard when it comes to decorating cakes, but even if you went with a square cake with some pressed sugar embelishments, and a Sponge Bob toy, I think it would be a big hit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My hubby designs and creates all of my DD's cakes. My DD wanted a Spongebob cake for her third birthday. The cake my hubby designed was basically all Spongebob - taking advantage of the rectangular shape of a regular cake. Apparently I don't have it on my computer (argghhh), but I did add it to a website and I'll share the link for you: https://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-spongebob-cake-132.html

There are more examples on the website: https://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/spongebob-cake.html

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"