Birth Stories

Did Anyone SING through labor?

I'm 15w pg with #2. I looove to sing on a daily basis and find that it has always been very relaxing and soothing. I saw a video of a woman on YouTube who sang (quite beautifully actually) through her labor and it made me wonder if anyone else does this as a coping strategy and if it helps with the pressure/pain associated with labor.

(I'm being serious btw to all of you who are sitting by waiting to throw flames at a poster)

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Did Anyone SING through labor?

• i'm anxious to find out more about this too! i saw something a while back about dancing during labor. as a former dancer this was really interesting. then i thought... I wonder if people have ever sang through delivery. and I found a couple articles and a similar you tube video.

sounds like we are similar with how often we sing and what it does for us! crap... i'll try anything to get through this labor without drugs. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love to sing also, but didn't sing during labor, I just made low humming sounds while in transition.

Also, PP, one of my midwives on a regular basis has her laboring moms who are having trouble relaxing do Zumba:).

252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Loading the player...
  • No flames but this is interesting. I would like to know if it actually works...
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm just reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and she talks about this.  I highly recommend this book!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oooh PROJECT! maybe I'll create my own little singing labor movement on the Bump. ;) Along with Hypnobirthing, I'll create my personalized playlist and sing my way through labor and report back to y'all. I own a few books that y'all have recommended i just need to re-read them for info on the effects of singing.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I sang in my head during the pushing stage for one of my children...I kept singing "I'm coming out, I want the world to know, I've got to let it show, I'm coming!"
    Married since 1997, and Mama to 4 girls (1997, 2002, 2004, 2007) and 2 boys (2009, 2010)
  • DS is 4 days old and I sung a great deal through his labor. Singing hymns really helped reduce the pain and gave me great comfort. One of my doulas said "I had heard about people who sang through labor but never actually had a client who did it." I highly recommend it.
  • I keep trying to convince my husband to let my play my Broadway Ipod during labor (yes, I have an Ipod just for Broadway musicals).  I know the words to pretty much everything on there and I think it would be a comfort to be able to sing through labor.  He thinks it would be too distracting for him (unless he's actually watching the play he thinks it sounds like looney tunes music).  I am still trying to convince him though.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I had my son, I moaned tunes, it really helped. I didn't sing words, more hummed tunes but it was with moaning. It really helped to concentrate on the tune, the notes, the sound. It was wonderful.

The midwife even asked my mom about it. I sing all the time too. So I imagine I will do the same with this labor coming up in May. concentrating on the humming/moaning, and also I concentrated on tensing my arms from the elbows to my hands and relaxing every other muscle in my body (I HAD to tense something or I was going to go nuts, but I also knew tensing would only make the pain worse as with a Charley horse cramp, so I compromised) those two things really helped out.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"