Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Struggling to nurse 5 month old... help!

I need help! My son was nursing great up until a couple weeks ago. Suddenly he started crying and thrashing around whenever I tried to feed him. I thought it was low milk supply but I was able to get the supply up and he would start to eat and then come off and thrash around and cry until I put a pacifier in his mouth to calm him down. It's been so stressful and upsetting. I've talked to his doctor and lactation consultants and they all say pump all the time to up my milk supply. They have all encouraged me to stay away from formula. The lactation consultant had me start cereal but the problem still exists. Now my supply really is dropping and I am emotionally fried. I want to keep feeding him but the only time he will nurse is the middle of the night or if he isn't fully awake. He may be teething but the problem has been going on well before that started. Would love other moms advice! 

Thanks!  

Re: Struggling to nurse 5 month old... help!

• Options
    I have been dealing with the same thing. For me it has helped to nurse him lying down, in the dark, with no distracting noises (no tv, no laptop, etc) I think him being overstimulated was part of the problem. He still cries sometimes which I think has to do with him teething but for the most part it has helped.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Does he get bottles at all?  I hate to say this, but if he does, he may have nipple preference.  One of my babies developed it right around that age.  She started nursing again normally when I stopped giving her bottles...I know that makes life hard, though :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like pp I wonder if he could be teething.  I have read that it hurts lo's gum to suck when they are teething and that you  should manually express to get the milk flowing before trying to latch and do compressions while nursing, if they have sore gums, so they don't have to suck as vigorously,  It may also be worth posting this on the breastfeeding board they might have some good advice
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    i went thru this and then changed my feeding schedule.  i used to feed him after he woke up from naps - now i get him drowsy and then nurse him and then he naps.  when he's drowsy he won't fuss.  when he's awake, he can.  since i started this and now have him on a pretty good feeding and nap schedule, he will now nurse again sometimes without me having to get him drowsy first (though i still put him down afterwards.) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going through this very same thing! Of course, at the same time, DD's naps are only 30 mins long, she's sleepy and cranky all day, waking more in the nighttime, etc. I think she may be teething or she's going through some sort of developmental change. Today, I did all pumped bottles and fed her every 3 hours, rather than feeding her upon waking from naps (I've always followed EASY, so she ate every 2-3 hours, depending on her napping). Well, of course, she slept for two 1.5-2 hour naps and was happy all around. Makes me think she is hungry from her crazy nursing. I don't know if I can keep up with pumping for bottles all day. When she's sleepy or fussy in the least, she's not willing to nurse at all! Makes me sad. I missed her today doing bottles all day!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

How is he doing with wet diapers/gaining weight? I found that my 4 month old has just recently started nursing very quickly. Ten minutes would currently be a long feeding for us. I have had low supply from the beginning so it totally freaked me out that I couldn't get her to stay on longer.  She gained 11 oz. this week so obviously I was being paranoid about nothing.  Also my friend's daughter going thru the same thing.  Crying and arching back, pushing away, etc.  Or could your baby have reflux? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"