Pre-School and Daycare

Night Time Potty Training????

I have a 2 year 8 months old boy. He has been potty trained during the day for about 4-5 months. When do you stop putting a pull up or diaper on when they sleep? I have him sleeping in a toddler bed but he doesn't get out unless we get him out, I have tried to talk to him and tell him he can get out if he needs to potty but he does not get out or ask for us and we will come get him to take him potty. I am not sure if he potties in his sleep or night. In the mornings his pull up is warm like he just went. Do I just put hime in his underwear and let him learn that way? That is how I got him potty trained during the day. We did a whole week with underwear. Need Suggestions on how to potty train him at night.

Re: Night Time Potty Training????

• For overnight potty training we tried underwear UNDER pull ups.  That way he could feel when he got wet but we were not having to wash sheets every time there was an accident.

We told him that he could wear just the underwear (and bought him some cool new ones just for this purpose) if he woke up dry 5 consecutive days.  Then we made a sticker chart so he could track what day he was on.

With both my guys they were staying dry during the night but were used to peeing in their beds upon waking.  Just a little bit of motivation helped push them over the edge.  It's tough to get outta bed when you're groggy and warm and don't want to wander into the bathroom alone!

The other thing I did to help things along was put the video monitor on them and go in to get them as soon as they got wiggly in the morning.  That was how we got our first couple of dry mornings and that really fed the motivation factor.

Make sure you've got a good night light in the bathroom.  My guys don't like a full light on in the middle of the night (makes them squint and generally grumpy) but a good night light helps them see where they're going, not be afraid of a long dark bathroom and be able to see to aim into the water of the toilet bowl. 

Another bit of advice is to find an "ultimate crib sheet" or some other smaller water proof bed topper so that if and when you do have accidents it's a quick thing to yank one top layer off and throw on another instead of needing to change the whole bed. 

And last but not least - be patient.  Night time training isn't the same as day time training.  It really does take some kids longer than others to develop the synapses in the brain that will signal the urge to pee and translate that into an "I need to wake up" message.  My youngest overnight potty trained early but my oldest didn't until he was 4 yrs old (and he day time trained at 20 months!) 

GL! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • we PT'd Griffin the week after he turned 3... but kept him in pullups at night b/c we didn't feel like waking up all night.  He never asked to go potty all night- and would wake up with wet pullups... but a few weeks after PTing (we did the 3-day that worked like magic) he just started waking up dry all on his own - his body just started to hold it all night.  Since then it's never been an issue.

if he's still wetting at night or in the am- i would do what the PP said- put underwear on under his pullups- so he'll feel it- but no big mess. HOpefully that will show him when he needs to ask to go potty.

• Loading the player...
  • Is the pull up wet or just warm? Not to be gross, but feel it. Or look @ the front there is usually a design that disapears when it's wet. Figure this out first.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My ds just turned 4. We could not/did not get him fully potty trained till 3.5 years. He did not give a flip if he was wet or dirty so it was hard to train him. He is still waking up very wet in his pull-up in the am. We limit fluids at night. After speaking with his pediatrician at his checkup she told me when his pull-up is dry in the am to transition to underwear. Somekids do well with the chart/reward system but mine could care less about that as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For the most part, you cannot "train" a child for nighttime.  It is a developmental stage & they will do it when they are ready.  My youngest was day trained by age 2, but is almost 4 now & wet in her pull-up almost every night.  We keep her little potty in her room & tell her she can use it to go potty if she wakes up in the night (which I don't think she does, for the most part).  My oldest was day trained by 2.5 & at around 3.5 we put the potty in her room & she almost immediately stopped wetting her pull-up & going in the potty. 

fwiw, my pedi told me that they don't "worry" about nighttime wetting until kids are around age 10.  My suggestion is not to worry about it, he's still young and is very newly day trained.  

• We kept using diapers overnight until she started waking up dry all on her own. It wasn't that she needed to learn how to wake herself up to go potty during the night; it was more that she needed to learn to hold it in. That happened around four months after she was daytime potty-trained.

Now, when she wakes up during the night and comes into our room, I will ask her if she needs to go, but if she doesn't wake up until morning, she can hold it until then.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Night time training is 100% different that day time training and some kids take years to get the night time thing down.  A friend of my DD's trained around the same time she did at 2 years 9 months and he still wakes up wet almost daily - he will be 5 in June.  If your child is  a heavy sleeper, it could take a long time for him to wake up from the feeling that he needs to go and even from being wet.  You can't really train a child to wake up from this.  Most peds don't even worry about night time training until the child is 5 or 6.  Some people beleive in waking their kids in the night to go potty but I personally would rather my child get a good night sleep as I know it will happen when they are ready.  I would keep your child in a pull up - I like PP's suggestion of adding undies in the pull-up so he feels the wet but honestly, at some point he will start to wake up from the sensation and just get it.  My older DD night trained first and in the 2 years that she has been trained, has had maybe 2-3 night accidents.  My younger DD is almost day trained but not close to being night trained.  If she is awake, she will call me to take her to the potty but if she is in a deep sleep, forget it.  She will be in pull-ups at night until she is dry every night for a few months and calls for me in the middle of the night to go potty.  My older DD does sleep the night most nights now but in the 1st few months of being night trained, she called for me at least once a night to go potty.  Just give it time and honeslty, don't stress about it at this point.  At this age, getting a good night sleep is more important.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Just ditch the Pull Ups.  They didn't exist 50 years ago and most kids were night trained well before 3.
    All kids cry. They will get over it. Giving parents the obvious answer since 2011.
  • We thought our son wasn't ready for night time training bcus his pullups were still wet in the morning...but after awhile we tried anyway and found out that when we took away pull ups he stopped bed wetting even though he would pee in pull ups if he knew he was wearing them. Also we made sure there was a night light in his bathroom do that wouldnt deter him from getting up to go to the bathroom at night if he had to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"