Health & Exercise

Any Vegetarians?

Just found out I'm expecting and am looking for books on maintaining a healthy vegetarian diet suring pregnancy and beyond, and on raising a vegetarian child.  Any suggestions?

Re: Any Vegetarians?

• I recommend "The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook", it's for during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

For kids there are a lot available but I think "New Vegetarian Baby" deals with the youngest age groups.

• I liked Skinny Biitch Bun in the Oven but it just covers pregnancy. 

• Loading the player...
  • I found all the pregnancy books to be less than helpful.  The big change I made was reverting to eating dairy and eggs.  The ammount of protein I needed, based on the Bradley method, was hard to get eating vegan.

For raising vegetarian kids, go to the library and look up all of the vegetairan kid cook books you can find.  copy the recipes you like and you will have a nice start.  And beans beans beans.  Beans are DS's favorite food.

Just in case anyone in your life tells you that you can't continue being a vegetarian while pregnant, feel free to tell them that I had 2 children and nursed them both, DD for a year and DS 7 months and counting, and they are both big healthy happy babies.  I had lots of opposition in the begining, but feel that I have proved myself right.

Best of luck!

• Hi Gwen+1:

I am not TTC yet (probably not for at least 6 mos) but I will probably be vegetarian or vegan when I do.  I was just wondering, because you mentioned that you were vegan, at what point did you go back to being vegan (if you did) after your pregnancy. While you were breastfeeding or after?  I have not looked into anything regarding pregnancy nutrition yet but I'm sure I may find that I need to eat dairy and eggs too when the time comes.  How about your kids? Vegetarian or vegan?  Thanks so much!

• I second Skinny *** Bun in the Oven. It rocks.
  • I don't have any book suggestions, but when I told my doctor that I'm a vegetarian (we just move to the area and she didn't know my health history - I haven't had meat since I was 7), she was thrilled that she didn't have to lecture me about mercury in fish, knowing where my meat comes from and cooking meat thoroughly. I completely expected to get yelled at about not eating meat.

I am having a little trouble getting protein lately though. Any helpful hints?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"