Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

With all this talk of cliques...random poll

How DO you pronounce the word??

It came up in a conversation I was having with a friend yesterday (unrelated to TB), and I pronounced the word "cleek". My friend balked at me and laughed, stating that it should be pronounced "click"...

mmmmmmm.....I have been pronouncing it "cleek" since I learned what the word meant and have never been corrected before. Got me thinking that maybe it's a tomato/to-mah-to thing....

So...this is kind of a random poll...how do you pronounce it??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: With all this talk of cliques...random poll

• Options
    I pronounce it "click".
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

"click"

ETA - Followed closely by "Ohmygawdmessageboardcliquedramaissosfuckingstupid"

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options

Click.  lol

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    click.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    "Click"
  • Options
    imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    "Click..." the way it is intended to be pronounced.
    This.
  • Options
    I say "cleek". If you go to this site, and click on the two pronunciations, it says American pronunciation is "click" and British is "cleek". Maybe that's where we got it from? (Since Canadians do most things the British style when it comes to language.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I prounce it with a short i and the emphasis on the -que:  Cli-KWAY.

What, is that wrong?

• Options
    I suppose if you have an accent it's "cleek" ;)
  • Options
  • Options

imagebeccs98:
    I say "cleek". If you go to this site, and click on the two pronunciations, it says American pronunciation is "click" and British is "cleek". Maybe that's where we got it from? (Since Canadians do most things the British style when it comes to language.)

Yeah, that must be it. It seems as though almost everyone here says "click"...yet, I've never, ever pronounced the word that way...

Although...I may just start pronouncing it Scout's way...that's pretty sophisticated, if you ask me! 

• Options
    imagecinema_goddess:

"click"

ETA - Followed closely by "Ohmygawdmessageboardcliquedramaissosfuckingstupid"

This, especially the ETA

imageimage
  • Options
    imagescoutkate:

What, is that wrong?

snort

I feel bad for LOL'ing though I didnt know they said it cleek in other countries

• Options
    I say it the same way as "click".
  • Options

imagekmeek19:
    I suppose if you have an accent it's "cleek" ;)

LOL...I guess.

Although, I'm from BC, not the maritimes. I never thought I had an accent...but I guess I probably do. A few of my cousins live in Montana and have told me they can tell that we're Canadian by the way we speak (even though they are canadian as well, as their mother is canadian)...

I guess I'll just keep "cleeking" away. Smile

• Options
    imagekcl22:
    imagescoutkate:

What, is that wrong?

snort

I feel bad for LOL'ing though I didnt know they said it cleek in other countries

It's all good. I also didn't realize that there was a British and American pronounciations for that word.

I do want to emphasize that I am an articulate, intelligent person...I just had never heard it pronounced "click" before...just one of those random things...

• Options

imagebeccs98:

I say "cleek" and I am from PA.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I pronounce it "click" but "cleek" sounds very classy Smile

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• Options

imagebeccs98:

HA! I was going to say "cleek", then follow it up by saying it was probably a Canadian thing.  there are so many differences in the Canadian (british) / American language.  some examples.. colour vs color, can i have the "bill" vs can i have the cheque, when at a resturant.  and of course the way Americans pronounce the word "roof". It sounds like they are immitating a dog

Side note: I am NOT poking fun at Americans

• Options
    I pronounce it click.
  • Options

imagebeccs98:

I'm British, and we pronounce it click. I've never heard anyone pronounce it as cleek.

• Options
  • Options
    imageTassie'sfirst:

imagebeccs98:

HA! I was going to say "cleek", then follow it up by saying it was probably a Canadian thing.  there are so many differences in the Canadian (british) / American language.  some examples.. colour vs color, can i have the "bill" vs can i have the cheque, when at a resturant.  and of course the way Americans pronounce the word "roof". It sounds like they are immitating a dog

no, no, a dog say "bark, bark" not "roof, roof" (I kid, I kid :P) How do canadians pronounce roof?

• Options
    imageouraddress7:
    imageTassie'sfirst:

imagebeccs98:

no, no, a dog say "bark, bark" not "roof, roof" (I kid, I kid :P) How do canadians pronounce roof?

We pronounce it as it rhymes with loofah...without the "ah" on the end, obvs.

Not as if it rhymes with hoof...catch my drift?

I don't know if that made sense at all.

• Options
    imageouraddress7:
    imageTassie'sfirst:

imagebeccs98:

Like Roofies (roofalin, the drug) roof

• Options
    I am another Canadian who pronounces it "cleek".  I actually think it might be the french influence (like how we pronounce foyer like foy-AY not foy-err).  Just a thought!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hmm, now I'm really confused... I thought I did pronounce roof as ryhmes with loofa without the "a"... maybe I pronounce loofa wrong too Tongue Tied
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"