Birth Stories

Long labor, but only 3 pushes

Connor Michael James arrived 1-26-11 at 12:28AM ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 19.5"

On the 24th around 8PM I started to get crazy pressure, it happened about 3 or 4 times; and I thought nothing of it.  Well the next morning (36w 3d) I woke up  like normal, was feeding DD breakfast and when I got up I leaked a bit of fluid.  I thought that was strange because I didn't sneeze or cough.  Funny how I just assumed that I peed a bit.  Well, about 10 minutes later I leaked again, enough to change my undies.  After the second time I warned DH that I thought my water may be leaking.  He got a bit crazy wanting to call the OB right away, I made him wait because 1) we live literally 2 minutes from the hospital 2) nothing was packed (this was something I had planned to do that night after work) 3) the office wasn't open yet, and I didn't want to bother the OB on call when the office would open in an hour.  Some time later, after frantically packing my hospital bag, and talking to my OB's office they sent me over to L&D.  Arrived there around 10:30 am and the hooked me up and apparently I was contracting every 3 minutes (I had no clue), I was 2cm dilated (I was only 1cm at my visit the week before) and they tested for fluid, and yes indeed my water bag was leaking.  They were admitting me.  I really wanted to go home to labor (they let me do this with DD because we live so close), but not this time because of the ruptured water.  At this point DH took DD home to be with the baby sitter. 

All the staff were sure I'd progress fast because this was #2 and I had been having regular contractions since I'd gotten there.  Well, no such luck.  By the time DH got back to the hospital, maybe 2PMish I was checked again and I was only 2.5 cm.  At this point they started the Pitocin.  I was starting to feel my contractions now, but they were not too bad.  I waited it out till 7pm before requesting an Epidural.  Once epi was placed they didn't want to check me too soon and risk infection, so I waited till 11 before someone came in and I finally made some progress, I was at 5cm!  By 11:30 I was feeling tons of very low pressure, the contractions were becoming so uncomfortable and I knew this was it.  I had to ask 3 time before they would check me (again, because they didn't want to risk infection with the ruptured water). And I was right, I was fully dialted and ready to go.  I went from 5cm, to 10cm in 45 minutes.  They told me not to push and the doctor was only 10 minutes away.  10 minutes my ass, she didn't get in until 12:15am.  Once she was ready, she had me do a practice push.  Apparently I really remembered how to push, because baby's head was out in one push Surprise  So then there was a mad scramble to get fully geared up ( the OB, 2 residents Dr.s and all the nurses); and I was told not to push again.  Once they were all ready, I gave 2 more mini pushes and Connor was born!  He was placed on my chest and DH got to cut the cord.  DD's cord was around her neck so we did not get to experience either of those with her birth.  I was amazing, lots of joyful tears.

Baby Connor had no breathing problems at all even though he was a bit on the early side.  He eats his formula very well and is a great sleeper too.  He does have a Sacral Dimple, its a dimple in his butt crack.  It is a mild form of Spina Bifida; our Pedi ordered a ultrasound to see how involved it is.  I guess the spinal cord could be attached at this dimple, causing crawling/walking issues, or it could be very mild and simply be a extra place to clean during diaper changes.  We are scheduled to have his ultrasound on Thursday this week.   I'm doing well too.  Down about 15lbs, and feeling good. It is defiantly difficult with a toddler running around too.  But big sister Autumn is such a good helper.  She wants to help hold his bottle, bring him diapers, give him kisses, and peek in on him in the PnP. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Long labor, but only 3 pushes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"