May 2011 Moms

does your insurance cover childbirth classes?

I'm starting to look into this and was just wondering if anyone had to pay out of pocket, and if so, how much?
       I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
**  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

Re: does your insurance cover childbirth classes?

• My insurance/health provider gives all classes for free, except the child birth ones. It's a 5 week class and the cost is $85.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • I had to pay $15. I just used my FSA card since childbirth classes are covered,
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine doesn't cover, so I have to pay.  But they are only $20-$40 depending on the topic, and they're just a 2-3 hour course.

• No, unfortunately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Didn't even know any insurance paid for that.  It wasn't even given as an option when I signed up for ours at the hostpital.  Maybe I should check.  Ours is a 3 week childbirth class for $60.00 & a breastfeeding one night class for $20.00-I think-maybe it was $40.

I'd love to get that money back.

His three plus my one; we are all excited to welcome a little one!

Pregnancy Ticker

• No, but my FSA lets me use those funds to pay for it. I think the hospital childbirth class is $60ish and a breastfeeding class for $25.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ours did not cover it.

ETA:  As I recall, our classes were about $125.  It was a 7 week series (one night each week) that included a newborn care and a breastfeeding class.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our natural childbirth classes are $120 for a 7 week class.  I did find out by looking at my insurance company website that they will reimburse me for the cost of childbirth classes and doula services (if I choose to use one) through my flexible spending account.
  • I didn't even think about my insurance covering the cost of the classes.  I'll have to look in to it and hopefully they do!  Thanks for the idea!  Haha
  • imageKristin&Kelly09:
    Our natural childbirth classes are $120 for a 7 week class.  I did find out by looking at my insurance company website that they will reimburse me for the cost of childbirth classes and doula services (if I choose to use one) through my flexible spending account.

ooh, thanks for that idea! that hadn't even crossed my mind.

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• No, and I don't get the impression that many do, because they didn't even ask for insurance info when we signed up.  Thankfully our Childbirth class (8-3:30 one Saturday, including a hospital tour) was only $55 :-)
  • The classes at my hospital are $10 so I didn't both to look into whether insurance would cover them.
  • Yikes - I feel ripped off!  My childbirth prep is $150.  Breastfeeding - $35 (and that is with a 30 buck insurance discount) and newborn class was about the same with the insurance discount.  And these are the classes offered through my hospital!!!!

imageBabyFruit Tickerimage
    DD due April 2, 2014
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    DS born April 9, 2011

• Our class at the hospital cost $100 and our insurance company will reimburse us either for $40 or $50?? I forget which one. :)
  • Mine are covered because they are offered through my doctor's office. If I go through a motherhood center they're not.
  • Geez, my insurance doesn't even cover my PRENATAL APPOINTMENTS! I lost my job and had to get my own insurance and it STINKS! so now I am a cash pay at my OB and still have to pay my premium every month. They will cover L&D. Isn't that nice of them? Our childbirth class was 100, but if you signed up for that you got the breastfeeding class for free ($20 savings)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"