Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

I know I've seen some running mamas on this board...

I have been wanting to train for a marathon for a while now. We even bought a jogging stroller so that we could train/run as a family. But, along comes a big ol' mcbummer: DH was transferred to the stinking tundra (upper midwest) and training for a summer or fall marathon seems utterly impossible. How do you train in the winter months? And, is there any advice (in general) that you might have for preparing/routine/how to train? Thanks Ladies!!!

Re: I know I've seen some running mamas on this board...

• Options
    I would say just to layer up! You can always take something off but you can't put it back on. I wouldn't bring the baby with you though if it's really cold outside. You could always hit up a treadmill too. HTH.
    Sometimes it's okay to follow. (Picture is a clicky)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

HEY!

Congrats on wanting to train for a marathon!

I'm an avid runner (as you can tell by my s/n); I ran up until 37.5 weeks pregnant (and delivered DS at 38.5 weeks) and got right back into my running as soon as I could. I'm actually running my first post-pregnancy half marathon next week.

As far as winter months go, I live in vancouver, BC, so we have a pretty temperate climate. We don't usually get snow in the winter, just rain. However, I'm sure they shovel sidewalks, so  you could train on the sidewalks. when I run with DS on colder days, I put him in his snowsuit strapped into the jogger, then put the weather shield on so it cuts the wind in his face while I"m jogging, and keeps him a bit warmer.

As far as routine goes, the joy of having a baby jogger is that you can run anytime; you don't have to wait for your DH to get home! I find that since we're still up a few times a night, I like running in late morning after DS's first nap, and i feel more rested. If I wait until later in the day, I get too tired. Keep at it, though...the running and activity will help you feel LESS tired.AND...your body adapts...we went through a stint where DS was getting up, no lie, 7-8 times a night, and I still managed 10 mile runs on Sunday mornings...it's crazy what the body can do.

If you don't already have a jogger, I have the BOB Ironman and LOVE IT! It's similar to the Revolution but it has a fixed front wheel and the front wheel is larger in circumference.I called the company directly to ask for their recommendation.They said if you are going to be running shorter distances (10 km and under) and are looking for a good multi-purpose stroller, the Revolution is great. However,if you want it specifically for running and are going to be running longer distances and perhaps on trails, etc...go for the Ironman, as it's designed for longer distances. It will take you a couple of runs to get used to the fixed wheel, but we love it and use it for our only stroller now!

GL!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageRunningWife:

HEY!

I'm an avid runner (as you can tell by my s/n); I ran up until 37.5 weeks pregnant (and delivered DS at 38.5 weeks) and got right back into my running as soon as I could. I'm actually running my first post-pregnancy half marathon next week.

As far as winter months go, I live in vancouver, BC, so we have a pretty temperate climate. We don't usually get snow in the winter, just rain. However, I'm sure they shovel sidewalks, so  you could train on the sidewalks. when I run with DS on colder days, I put him in his snowsuit strapped into the jogger, then put the weather shield on so it cuts the wind in his face while I"m jogging, and keeps him a bit warmer.

As far as routine goes, the joy of having a baby jogger is that you can run anytime; you don't have to wait for your DH to get home! I find that since we're still up a few times a night, I like running in late morning after DS's first nap, and i feel more rested. If I wait until later in the day, I get too tired. Keep at it, though...the running and activity will help you feel LESS tired.AND...your body adapts...we went through a stint where DS was getting up, no lie, 7-8 times a night, and I still managed 10 mile runs on Sunday mornings...it's crazy what the body can do.

If you don't already have a jogger, I have the BOB Ironman and LOVE IT! It's similar to the Revolution but it has a fixed front wheel and the front wheel is larger in circumference.I called the company directly to ask for their recommendation.They said if you are going to be running shorter distances (10 km and under) and are looking for a good multi-purpose stroller, the Revolution is great. However,if you want it specifically for running and are going to be running longer distances and perhaps on trails, etc...go for the Ironman, as it's designed for longer distances. It will take you a couple of runs to get used to the fixed wheel, but we love it and use it for our only stroller now!

GL!!

Awesome! Pretty sure you were the one that I was hoping to get advice from! I'm just a lurking newb and forgot your SN :/ I guess my main concern was training with DS in the stroller. We have a jogger/travel system and the carseat just hooks right on. So, I suppose he would be snuggly warm in the carseat with the cover and a blanket or snow suit? It gets pretty cold here, but today in particular its like 35 degrees so I would love to get out! It seems like an eternity since I've run (ran?) I wasn't brave enough to continue past 7 mos. prego. It will be nice once spring hits to get out more often! Since my body is TOTALLY out of shape, how long do you think training might take for a marathon (or even half) in mid summer? And do you follow any specific plan, or do you just run and wing it? :)
  • Options
    imagenadinethequeen01:
    I would say just to layer up! You can always take something off but you can't put it back on. I wouldn't bring the baby with you though if it's really cold outside. You could always hit up a treadmill too. HTH.
    Ahhhh layers. Yes yes. I was trying to convince DH to run with me today, but we were both cracking up at the thought of the two of us in our big old winter jackets trying to book it down the road. Haha. It took me a while to convince him that we could be perfectly warm in a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt... He's a geek. We are looking for a decent (but small, possible able to be packed up) treadmill. Any suggestions??
  • Options

layer layer layer. i love my wool shirt and my fleece-lined tights.  also, make sure to get gore-tex covered sneakers to keep the tootsies warmer and drier.

i find it makes a huge difference if my mouth is covered - you don't get that nagging cough afterwards.  i also particularly like having my chin covered.

oht!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrsohbuhr:
    imageRunningWife:

HEY!

GL!!

Awesome! Pretty sure you were the one that I was hoping to get advice from! I'm just a lurking newb and forgot your SN :/ I guess my main concern was training with DS in the stroller. We have a jogger/travel system and the carseat just hooks right on. So, I suppose he would be snuggly warm in the carseat with the cover and a blanket or snow suit? It gets pretty cold here, but today in particular its like 35 degrees so I would love to get out! It seems like an eternity since I've run (ran?) I wasn't brave enough to continue past 7 mos. prego. It will be nice once spring hits to get out more often! Since my body is TOTALLY out of shape, how long do you think training might take for a marathon (or even half) in mid summer? And do you follow any specific plan, or do you just run and wing it? :)

You can jog with the carseat adapter, but you have to be VERY careful; I tried this a couple of times with DS when he was just wee, but the carseat does bounce around. I would say it's best to take the carseat out if you're just doing a short run and keep it to smooth surfaces, like a sidewalk. If you're going for longer runs, he's probably better off just in the jogger, based on his size and his neck strength.

I would recommend starting by training for a half marathon, as it will give you the base to train for the full. It is suggested that in order to train for a full, you should already have the ability to run for an hour or so. I have run two full marathons in my life, and much prefer the half distance. it will be a good starting off point.

I did used to use a formal training plan,b ut I've been running for 8 years, so I more or less just wing it now. A regular training plan looks somewhat like this:

one long, slow run a week (typically on a Sunday)

one tempo run at a shorter distance (I do a tempo 10km on Wednesdays)

and one day of track work or hills for strength. 

This is a good plan to follow: keep in mind that I do not run 5 days a week, it's a lot and puts you at a risk for injury. I run 3 days a week (Sun, Wed and Fri) and the other 2 days you could either use one as a rest day, and cross-train the other day (weight lifting, cycling, swimming) or use both as rest days if you need, etc...

https://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=3133 (sorry it's not clicky).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I completely agree with the pp. When you get into a routine of running daily, your body feels so much better, even through lack of sleep. I actually run on a treadmill, it's too rainy here, and I'm still able to monitor R.
  • Options
    I got a treadmill from Walmart a few years back which is helpful, but when I trained for my first marathon it was during the winter months.  You just bundle up - you won't be cold for long.  And if you wear layers, you can strip down a bit if you need to.  I actually find it enjoyable to get out into the cold and run - it wakes you up and clears your head.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you guys for all of the advice! It is very much appreciated :) We ended up just going for a walk today... I think ill try to make it a routine to go for a run during my "me time." It will be nice to feel refreshed during the day, instead of a lump on a log! Ill keep you posted on how it goes ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"