February 2011 Moms

Induction covered by insurance?

I know that no one but my insurance company can tell me for sure if induction will be covered or not, but does anyone have experience to share?  My OB "does not allow" his patients to go past 41 weeks of pregnancy.  He induces by that time and will agree to induce, generally speaking, a little sooner if the patient wishes.

I will be 41 weeks on Sunday, Feb. 13, so I scheduled my induction for Friday, Feb. 11, figuring he doesn't want to do it on the weekend (though I didn't technically ask).  I like Friday anyway because if I do Monday I will just be sitting around all weekend going crazy.  Anyway, I have no complications so no medical reason for induction other than my OB's best jugdment (baby getting large, risk of something going wrong with placenta, etc.)  I just want to know if it's generally a problem for insurance to cover the additonal cost (will involve an extra night's stay after Cervidil / pre-Pitocin).  I figure my OB just needs to say that it's medically necessary and if his rule is 41 weeks then this would be OK.  Obviously I will ask this at my next appointment but in the meantime, I'm looking for your feedback.

Muy insurance covers 90% of the hospital costs so I'm not concerned about it if it's covered -- only if it's not.

Re: Induction covered by insurance?

• I assume that "induction" is under the umbrella of all things maternity and that of course it should be covered.  I would be shocked to hear otherwise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Whatever your ob is recommending medically necessary should be covered under your insurance. It is really common for ob's not to let patients go past 1 week overdue because the fluid can become too low so that is a valid medical reason for induction.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies.  I will ask at my next appointment, but this makes me feel better.  I still hope I won't need induction at all, but mostly I hope I don't end up with c/s.  And I do want him to clarify that having it at 40 weeks and 5 days vs. 41 weeks won't be a sticking point.

• my induction was covered with DD as well as the c-section that resulted from said induction
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsB0701:
    my induction was covered with DD as well as the c-section that resulted from said induction

*chuckle*  and ditto.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedaniellepanda:
    Whatever your ob is recommending medically necessary should be covered under your insurance. It is really common for ob's not to let patients go past 1 week overdue because the fluid can become too low so that is a valid medical reason for induction.

This.  I've even heard of some insurance companies refusing to cover parts or all of the birth if the mom refuses induction and/or if the OB lets the pregnancy go past a certain date.  

This is free advice and worth what you paid for it, but if I were in your shoes, I would be insisting on Cervidil not Cytotec/misopropyl (sp?), and insisting your OB go easy on the pitocin.  When I hit 39 weeks with no signs of going soon, my OB started using natural induction methods since DH and I are so anti-induction-drugs - membrane sweeping, long speedwalks, spicy foods, sex, nipple stimulation... 

Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone.

imagePiscesFish:

This is free advice and worth what you paid for it, but if I were in your shoes, I would be insisting on Cervidil not Cytotec/misopropyl (sp?), and insisting your OB go easy on the pitocin.  When I hit 39 weeks with no signs of going soon, my OB started using natural induction methods since DH and I are so anti-induction-drugs - membrane sweeping, long speedwalks, spicy foods, sex, nipple stimulation... 

I am getting Cervidil and Pitocin.  And I plan to jump DH this weekend!  I will talk details with my OB on Monday.  Maybe I will have dilated a bit more by then (I can dream!)  As of Monday I was only 1 cm and 80% effaced. 

• imagegreyt00:

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

imagePiscesFish:

I am getting Cervidil and Pitocin.  And I plan to jump DH this weekend!  I will talk details with my OB on Monday.  Maybe I will have dilated a bit more by then (I can dream!)  As of Monday I was only 1 cm and 80% effaced. 

Better Cervidil than Cytotec. :)

GOOD LUCK! :)  Hope you have your little cutie on the outside soon. 

Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"