Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

If you are worried about spoiling your baby

I stole this link from another board, but I thought it was interesting research about "spoiled babies". I'd like to think that I do all of those things that spoil my babies: rock them to sleep, hold them a lot, answer their cries quickly.

https://healthland.time.com/2010/09/29/no-such-thing-as-too-much-love-spoiled-babies-grow-up-to-be-smarter-kinder-kids/

Re: If you are worried about spoiling your baby

• Options
    I don't think you can spoil a baby. I'm going to have to save that article and read it at another time. Glad to know this article agrees with me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    good article, thx for sharing! 1ht
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreed!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagexxbabycakesxx:
    good article, thx for sharing! 1ht

ditto!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageFemmeNat01:
    I don't think you can spoil a baby.

I keep hearing this, but at what point CAN you spoil them? 3 months? 6 months? 10 months? When can they be spoiled?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagejuliane2004:

imageFemmeNat01:

I keep hearing this, but at what point CAN you spoil them? 3 months? 6 months? 10 months? When can they be spoiled?

I'm not sure. DS is turning two in about a month, and he shows no signs of being able to be spoiled yet.

• Options
    thank u for the article.  i cant wait to share it w some ppl who think i should let my baby cry it out. i cant let him cry it out my job as his mother is to take care of him
  • Options
    imagejuliane2004:

imageFemmeNat01:

I'm curious about this too.  I think "spoil" is a bad term.  I think you can definitely start bad habits or dependencies earlier than a lot of people would think.  For example only being able to sleep in a swing, while driving in the car, or while BFing.  But its hard to not do whatever works when you know they are tired and need to sleep (and you do to). 

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    imagejuliane2004:

imageFemmeNat01:

If by "spoiling" them you mean showing lots of affection and quickly responding to crying, which is generally what people mean when they talk about spoiling a baby.... uh, never? I'm pretty sure as an adult I would expect my husband to come see what was wrong if I started crying, but maybe I'm just spoiled.

If by "spoiling" you mean giving them whatever they want, whenever they want it, kids can get spoiled when they are developmentally able to differentiate between a want and a need, and can delay gratification. Definitely not at 3, 6, or 10 months.

There's a huge difference between those two definitions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageizzourclue:
    imagejuliane2004:

imageFemmeNat01:

I'm curious about this too.  I think "spoil" is a bad term.  I think you can definitely start bad habits or dependencies earlier than a lot of people would think.  For example only being able to sleep in a swing, while driving in the car, or while BFing.  But its hard to not do whatever works when you know they are tired and need to sleep (and you do to). 

Yeah, this is what I meant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imagejessmeans:
    thank u for the article.  i cant wait to share it w some ppl who think i should let my baby cry it out. i cant let him cry it out my job as his mother is to take care of him

Agreed. My little girl doesn't cry for no reason, so I like to make sure that she is okay and taken care of! No one has to feel obligated to do it but me and her father.....

• Options
    imagehonkytonk_kid:
    imagejuliane2004:

imageFemmeNat01:

If by "spoiling" them you mean showing lots of affection and quickly responding to crying, which is generally what people mean when they talk about spoiling a baby.... uh, never? I'm pretty sure as an adult I would expect my husband to come see what was wrong if I started crying, but maybe I'm just spoiled.

If by "spoiling" you mean giving them whatever they want, whenever they want it, kids can get spoiled when they are developmentally able to differentiate between a want and a need, and can delay gratification. Definitely not at 3, 6, or 10 months.

There's a huge difference between those two definitions.

I agree with all of this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"