Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

For Moms who work

How do you do it?

I am currently looking for work (even though I don't want to) and was called yesterday to discuss a potential position. It was just to talk with a recruiter. I haven't had an interview or job offer but I am already freaking out as though I have the job. I literally cried for about an hour yesterday just thinking about leaving W. It breaks my heart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For Moms who work

• Options

I didn't realize there were so many 'going back to work' posts already this morning ... ooops.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I seriously get so upset thinking about it. I like work, and always have enjoyed working. I have a great job, so there is no way I am leaving until they make me. I also know it will be a good break for me during the day. However, I am having a very difficult time coming to terms with it. We are discussing me going part time come summer time. We will see about that. That would give me 3 days in, and 2 days home. I can deal with that. I think. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's difficult, but it's bearable.  It helps having a wonderful DC provider--B loves her DC teachers and they adore her, and she is veryhappy there.  and I've come to enjoy my work time as "me time."

GL!

• Options
    I work 5am - Noon. Dd gets dropped off at daycare by dh at 8:30 & I pick her up at 12:45. I don't feel so bad because by lunch time she is just waking up and we have all afternoon & night to play! Perhaps you can do an extreme schedule like this?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's hard, I won't lie.  There's some days that are easier than others.  The hardest thing for me right now is just finding time to get everything done AND spend quality time with LO.  It's a rush every evening when I get home and I cherish every weekend with her.
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It is definitely hard.  I work 4 10s so I have a day off during the week, so it is nice to have a bit of extra time at home.  Focus has been the hardest thing for me so far.  I miss my little guy, but it has gotten better over time.  He is with people we know (my mom and we have a babysitter that is part of the family by marriage) and that helps too.  Good luck to you!!!
  • Options

going back was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. However, financially, we cannot afford for one of us to not work, so my DH is home with DS during the day and works nights so I get home at 5:30 pm and do a bit of playtime and bed time and then my weekends it's all about family time. 

• Options

I think what helps me is knowing that our babies are with people who love them and are great at what they do. MIL (a retired teacher with a Ph.D. in early childhoood development/education) takes care of the babies two days a week, and they go to a small, in-home DC the other days, and they are the only babies there. Both MIL and DC are so great at playing with the babies, coming up with new games, giving them tummy time, etc. They are way better at it than I am. After about 30 minutes, I start to go nuts trying to think of ways to entertain both of them at the same time. So, it's nice knowing they are in good hands all day, getting the stimulation they need, etc.

• Options

I have a pretty established career, so that is one thing that helped get me back in the thick of it. I've also accrued tons of time off (my three months of maternity leave was paid for by all the sick time I had accrued over the course of 5-6 years)...I still have about 50 days of time off I can take at any given time (I've always had a difficult time taking time off...a bit of a workaholic). I'm pretty much in charge of my own schedule. With all of that, it was really hard not to go back.

But, I absolutely dreaded going back and sobbed about it for weeks (mostly prior to going back). I can say with confidence the dread is far worse than actually going back. But, going back was still hard (and continues to be). My husband works 60-70 hour weeks, so I'm "it" for LO during the week (daycare drop off, pick up, prep for next day, bedtime routine...). Also, I'm now trying to cram a formerly 60-70 hour work week into a 45 hour work week. That's not easy and I feel as if I'm being scrutinized at work for some of my decisions. For example, I come in at 7 and leave at around 3 these days. I do that so I can spend more time with LO in the afternoon. I used to stay at the office until 7 or 8pm every day. Others are adjusting to the new me.

It helps to be very confident/happy with your daycare provider. When I started back, we had a less than optimal daycare provider and I had a really difficult time focusing on work. Now, he's in a better place and happy - it helps to know he's so happy. He LOVES daycare. You'd think an infant wouldn't get much out of it, but he's such a social little guy. Also, he's in a room with children who are a touch older - they love him.

I'm happier being back. I love my job (even though there are some cons). After being back, I can now admit to myself that I probably would have gone stir crazy being a SAHM. I was already headed there after a 3-month maternity leave. I loved my time with him, but it felt like a vacation from work. I can only imagine what it might feel like when the money isn't coming in and time creeps by with less intellectual stimulation.

• Options
    I am upset daily about it. I have a certain list that needs to be accomplished before I can go very part time.
    DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
    We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz
  • Options

We were fortunate to find childcare we trust and people that will update us throughout the day.

It started with finding care that fit our schedules and we opted with an in-home daycare  M-T mornings and all day Wed. (the in-home daycare is out next door neighbor, she also keeps 4 toddlers, DS is the only baby)

My mom then picks up DS M-T at 1 pm and keeps him at our house until one of us gets home.

Both the nanny and my mom will send occasional pictures and updates to keep us in the loop which is fantastic.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home Th-Fri. with the option to drop DS off at the nanny's if I need to go into the office. 

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageVABride2008:
    It's hard, I won't lie.  There's some days that are easier than others.  The hardest thing for me right now is just finding time to get everything done AND spend quality time with LO.  It's a rush every evening when I get home and I cherish every weekend with her.

This, totally. Plus I'm having a real hard time convincing myself that anything besides my DS is remotely important. Seriously, who gives a flying frog's fat arse about the blah blah art exhibit I'm supposed to be promoting? Or this alumni who has a 'great story to tell' about her experiences here? SNORE. Or the new student fitness center with - WOOT WOOT! - a new rowing machine??? For realz, people? I have a 5 month old at home (well, at the sitter's) who is conquering milestones without me and whom I only get to see for, like, 2 hours at night before he's off to bed.

I am the primary income in my family so I have no choice but to work andI'm pretty sure I would be a big FAIL if I were a SAHM (these women are heroes in my eyes). I can only hope it gets easier but, boy-oh-boy it sucks right now.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful/uplifting but I haven't yet found the perfect balance of being a working mother. I really do wish you all the best with finding a job, though.

• Options

I'm extremely blessed. I work for my parents company and am allowed to bring Rome to work with me daily. It's really tough working a full time job AND watching a two month old but it's worth it to not be away from him.

The only way I could work without him is if DH worked different hours and watched him while I was away. I have a tough time even imagining my son in a daycare.

• Options

I love what I do and I think that made the transition easier.  In a way I think it was easier because I started her in daycare when she was 9 weeks because she's so much more fun now! 

I love DD and every minute I spend with her but I actually think her going to daycare is a positive for her.  There are only 6 babies in her class (2 of which are part time), all born within 6 weeks of each other and she loves her 2 teachers.  They read, do tummy time, play with puzzles, do finger (and feet) painting, work on fine motor skills and large motor skills, and listen to music/dance.  She's happy and smiling when I leave her in the morning and when I pick her up.  I'm her "room mom" so I interact with the other parents and we discuss what's going on the the babies since they're all almost the same age.  Once or twice a week I stop by at lunch to see her. 

When she's not in daycare she's with us every minute and we do our best to make the most of it and focus on the time that we're with her.  I felt very isolated on maternity leave and I actually think I'm a better mom when I'm with her because we have that time apart.

• Options
    My only advice is to find a busy busy job. I'm very busy at work and didn't realize how nice it was until one day when I got pulled to a different part of the hospital where it wasn't busy at all. All I did was think of DS and look at pics on my phone of him. It was the longest 12 hours of my life.
  • Options
    It helps to have a sitter or day care that you are extremely at ease with, otherwise it just wouldn't be worth it! And it definitely helps to be well organized and a good planner, otherwise there are days I'd never make it out of the house! That being said....I'd give anything to be able to be a SAHM. My job provides health insurance so I can't leave my job.
  • Options

Helpful hints: 

1) We have a cleaning lady and I think that really helps focus our time with DD.

2) We have a "system" that one of us does the night time bottle (at 7pm) and the other washes the day's bottles and makes all the bottles for the next day.  We use the Dr. Brown formula pitcher to mix it all at once.  We have 12 bottles and DD only takes 5 a day so we don't have to worry about having the bottles dry before we can make new ones. (a little fan on the counter speeds drying if you don't have 2 days worth of bottles)

3) We have plenty of clothing/sleep sacks so we don't have to have her clothes washed more than 1x a week or so.

4) She doesn't get a bath every night because she doesn't need a bath every night (pedi says babies only "need" baths when they smell)

5) I pack her school bag the night before with anything she needs for the next day

6) Every Monday I give the school a ziploc bag with 5 clean spoons labeled "clean spoons" and another bag (empty) labeled "dirty spoons" so I only have to worry about packing spoons 1x week.

7) I prepare her solid food the night before and put it next to the bottles in the fridge

8) I allow myself an extra 10 minutes at pick up and drop off to talk to the teachers, play with her, look around to make sure I don't have any concerns about anything going on in the room, etc.  I like to play with her for a few minutes when I come pick her up because she's very alert and playful.  Sometimes she dozes on the way home so I think it's good for us to get in a little play time first.

8)

• Options

I think it's good for infants to get out and socialize...they are in a learning enviornment. Jake goes to DC 2x a week and with grandpa the other 3. (7-4)

I also think it's good for us mommies to get out, work=me time. Plus I get sooo much done during my lunch hour!

You MUST be at ease with your DC/babysitter, that makes it easier. Good Luck!

Try to go back to work mid-week, Wed or Thurs...also makes the adjustment easier.

• Options

I'm that weirdo mom who actually wanted to go back to work.  I missed my reading time and talking to adults.  I miss the girls, but coming home at night is wonderful because when I get home, I get two GINORMOUS smiles that just scream, "MOM'S HOME! MOM'S HOME! YAAAAAAAAY!"

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options

imageVABride2008:

This exactly. I sometimes feel guilty that when we get home I have a million things to do in the house (that are for Jacob) like bottles, laundry, etc....but I try to remind myself that I am making his bottles, so how can i feel guilty...its def. hard tho and I LOVE the weekends more than ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"