Eco-Friendly Family

Eczema and CDs?

My 8 mo. old DD has got some pretty substantial eczema in her diaper area, or at least around the edges, particularly where the elastic hits.  She's been a little rashy behind her knees and on the back of her neck, too, and it's clearly eczema rather than yeast or something else.  Any words of wisdom on how to combat it?  We're using mild soap (Eucerin) and slathering her with aquaphor (and using fleece liners and hoping it doesn't kill the diapers).  I think we'll drop down to lukewarm baths every other night.  She's shown no signs of allergies to particular foods, and so I wonder if it's just dry winter weather?  We have a humidifier going in her room all night.  Our daycare normally CDs, but I don't ask them to juggle fleece liners, etc. under these circumstances, and so she's been in disposables for almost a week.  Ugh.

Re: Eczema and CDs?

• We use CA baby products for C's skin.  Talk to your doctor about hydrocortisone; it's a topical steroid but really helps, you can get it OTC.  Definitely reduce baths and make sure you moisturize.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We battled horrible eczema all over DS's body to no avail last year.  The only that helped at all was Eucerin cream SLATHERED all over the affected areas.  Once the weather got nicer it went away on it's own.  It's back this year due to the dry winter weather, but not as bad, and we're back to the slathering of cream.  My pedi actually recommended more frequent bathing (even multiple times a day) followed immediately by the cream to lock in the moisture. The problem w/ eczema is that once you stop treating it it comes right back.  So it's a constant battle until the weather gets better.

FYI: I just read (and I can't remember where so the info may not be terribly reliable) that parents are finding an increase in yeast rashes this time of year in their babies w/ eczema.  I can say from first hand experience that we are going through this right now, but again I don't know if the 2 are actually correlated or coincidental.  What started out as eczema chafing along the elastic area of the diapers now includes a yeast rash.  We're in disposables while I combine nystatin on the yeast and eucerin on the chafing!

• Loading the player...
  • Cetaphil makes a wash and moisturizer for pediatric eczema that we've had really good luck with.  I've recommended it to a bunch of other moms and they've also said that they had good luck.  It's the Cetaphil Restoraderm, you can get it at Walgreens and probably CVS.  It's kind of expensive but well worth it.  It looks like this:

imageimage

• Cetaphil makes a wash and moisturizer for pediatric eczema that we've had really good luck with.  I've recommended it to a bunch of other moms and they've also said that they had good luck.  It's the Cetaphil Restoraderm, you can get it at Walgreens and probably CVS.  It's kind of expensive but well worth it.  It looks like this:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"